Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.02.16, 11:45 PM   #111
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I'm Ringo
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.16, 11:50 PM   #112
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

ringo used to come, but she read the Apple thread and ran away scared (she is a semi-official Apple spokeswoman in Japan after all). I doubt we can get her back...
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.17, 04:04 AM   #113
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by obama917 View Post
She also says that 3min is not a kind of song that is made sweet to please people, and she wrote it solely to satisfy her artistic desire. That is why she was pleased with it hitting number one.
Oh, that's interesting.

I think many -- a few people here thought it sounded 'too mainstream', and she was accused of not writing 'from the heart' and all that kind of stuff. Interesting to find out that it was indeed a personal project.

I look forward to finding out what inspired her to create Kachi Ikusa. That's another song that really does not sound 'traditionally Ringo', for the most part.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2010.02.17 at 04:09 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.17, 04:09 AM   #114
obama917

obama917 has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Here is the TJ (minus SR) interview in MUSICA:

- Izawa says Sports was recorded at the right time when TJ grew mature as a band. Uki says he felt a stronger sense of unity as a band than before. In previous recordings, he often had a feeling of 'me against the song', but for Sports he felt the band playing as one. Hata is proud of Sports as the best album in the world, though he says he doesn't listen to much music others play.

- In Nov or Dec 08, right after the Ringo Expo, they discussed a theme of the next album and chose 'sports'. In Jan 09 they met again to listen to demos from each. Izawa usually composes a song based on melody or chords, but this time he began with a drum part because he thought beats would be the key thing in this album. Kameda didn't want Sports to be the sorts of music played at a soccer studium when a goal is scored or in a gym to keep up the pace. As a big fan of figure skating, he thought about the concepts of 'compulsory' and 'free' programs. He came up with the idea of imposing strict self-discipline when playing, but still expressing themselves as freely as possible within such restrictions.

- During the recording, Kameda often felt Ringo showing her strong spirit, as if she was saying, 'TJ is more than what we are now. We can reach a much higher stage if we express our full potential'.

- A long absence of activities before Sports drove Izawa to a thought that TJ might be fading away. Then Ringo's release of SG put pressure on him. He got determined to make TJ's next album match the quality of SG. He even came to think that he would return to solo if the next album failed. Hata says he cannot pay the bills if TJ breaks up, so he will quit as a musician and go back to his hometown.

- Hata says his drumming style is unique and he cannot adapt his style when playing for other bands as a guest. So the bands often tell him not to do this or that when they think his style doesn't fit them. But he feels comfortable with TJ because they accept anything he offers. The only exception is, he says jokingly, Izawa, who asks him to play this or that way, but upon hearing it played, laughs and says, 'hahaha, this is wrong!' 'That is my ultimate embarrassment,' Hata says laughingly, while Izawa says, 'I do it just to make a good atmosphere'.

- Izawa co-wrote Zettai Zetsumei with Ringo (as I wrote in an earlier post). Ringo wanted to complete Izawa's unfinished demo, and soon sent him a finished work, which he thought was perfect. He was impressed that co-writing could be done so easily.

- Uki wrote words for three songs. He tried to capture feelings passing through his mind for a moment in his life.

- Uki and Izawa think the Sports songs are not easy to perform live. Uki says how to give a good live performance is his biggest concern right now.
obama917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.17, 04:27 AM   #115
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think Ukigumo reads these forums, too.

And wow, Hata and his emotional blackmail.

Thanks again, obama917. The band seem like they're really making an effort. Can only lead to great things.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.17, 06:43 AM   #116
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

If I scared Ringo away with my psuedo revolutionary rambling.....what can I say.....I still need that time machine.

i would be surprised if there isnt a single famous musician who secretly keeps a really close eye on forums devoted to them. I'm pretty sure I would if I were famous mostly out of curiosity. But us English speakers make up a really small percentage of their fans and who knows if they even speak English well enough.

BUT I do think we are way more artistically, intellectually, and emotionally inclined than most Japanese fans of ringo and there are very few superficial fans among us (only one OFFICIALLY ;-) ).

It took a lot of us an intense passion for music and a fair amount of curiosity to even come across Ringo while all it took a lot of the Japanese fans (some exceptions I'm sure), was a TV in 1999. So I would believe it if one of them (or some record label losers) came here to check it out....though I'd be pretty surprised if they were a registered member who contributed much.....

If you are a member of jihen...PM me.....aside from the time machine issue that we need to settle, your concerts and DVDs etc. are way too expensive for my poor ass.....little help?
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.17, 06:45 AM   #117
lazer85

oh and huge thanks to big O, do you guys need the rockin on japan interview summarized or has it been done? I've been a little too busy to read it but if you need it I'll get on it tomorrow or friday
Old 2010.02.17, 07:26 AM   #118
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I once said that Shiina Ringo collaborating with J.A.M would be so much better than a SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS collaboration. Then we got Shun at the center of the next album.

I came up with a system for measuring each album's credibility according to PVs. Variety was new at the time, and got the worst-ever score. The next album ended up being the highest-scoring ever, according to the same system.

Tokyo Jihad also came up with some very accurate speculation about Sanmon Gossip, before it was even announced that Shiina Ringo would have another solo-career album.

So either:
a.) Our prophecies were self-fulfilling because Ringo & Co lurk through this community.
b.) We have psychic powwaz.

Which do you suppose is the more likely scenario?
Old 2010.02.17, 07:56 AM   #119
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

We have psychic powers, of course.

lol. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ringo herself ended up reading the forums somehow. I don't mean she's a regular reader/member but she could have ended up here searching for a non-Japanese forum, you know... In case you're reading this, hey, Yumi-chan! LOL
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.17, 08:08 AM   #120
lazer85

What did jihad predict about SG? I'm a big cat.

I wish Prince came here to chill