Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.05.07, 01:19 AM   #91
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Would anyone else agree with describing part of "Tsumiki-asobi," the rhythmic horn-like part (that comes in for the first time at around 0:50), as being kind of "big beat"? I've always been a bit fuzzy on the boundaries of that sub-genre, but that part of the song reminds me of some things I've seen labeled that way. The song definitely feels like it has some connection to 90s "dance music," anyway.

I seriously doubt that I originally noticed just how far out Saito Neko goes at the end of "Onaji Yoru" the first couple times I heard it. He's so quiet about it that it just kind of sneaks up on the listener.

I've hardly ever said much about this album, and I don't find all that much comment about it around, even where Shiina Ringo is being discussed, but can I just say that it's a great album, and it needs to be said that "Keikoku" is fantastic. And while I've often emphasized the melodic side of Ringo Shiina's music, her rhythmic sense is also pretty reliable. This stuff is rhythmically solid in a way that a shit load of indie rock is not (which makes me annoyed when I occasionally see people describing SR as some sort of "indie-friendly" j-pop, not that she isn't exactly, but it plays down the pop strengths in her music in a way that bugs me). Anyway "Keikoku" is a good example of how her songs can turn out more rhythmically engaging than you might expect when they start out. There's a switch-up at 0:36/0:37, and then again at 0:55. Plus the beats that start the song feel more funk/hip-hop than vanilla rock, to me.

"Morphine" has a little quasi-Latin percussion figure going on.

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2010.05.07 at 01:40 AM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.07, 03:54 PM   #92
Superficial Fan

Oh, and by the way, this album just won a very odd 90s album poll thanks to my vote.

Background:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...threadid=78928

Results:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...d=80054#unread

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2010.05.07 at 04:45 PM.
Old 2010.05.08, 05:11 AM   #93
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts
Default anata no heya no rusubandenwa ga, chikagoro mame ni hataraiteiru no ~

^ I see what you did there . Are there any particular latin tracks you'd compare Morphine to?

Actually, as a 90s dance music guy it's the "no no shiru nanji" koto break of Tsumiki that always captivated me. It sounds really current, like they'd switched production duties over to Kidkanevil for a few seconds. Part of the shock of Ringo's old material is how densely musically interesting the tracks are second by second and you can point to the rhythm / stylistic switch-ups in Tsumiki Asobi and Keikoku etc as much as the reputedly more "complex" tracks on SS or KZK. For me it was difficult to go back to normal music afterwards, like developing ADD. =/

Two more things: Susumu Nishikawa is officially some kind of god. There was a YouTube of Shiina Ringo's guitarists I saw once and I had this real, "that's the guy" moment when he came on, and a genuine sense of loss that the much more mainstream sounding Ukigumo, last on the clip, ends up succeeding him. The other is that noone else writes melodies that do what the prechorus to Keikoku does. It's ace.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.08, 10:09 AM   #94
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

<3 all of this late love for MM. I love the time signature change at the beginning of Tsumiki Asobi. It's subtle, but adds to overall craziness of the song. Even a the more pop-ish songs on the album have interesting instrumental breaks that you don't find on other pop songs.

Susumu Nishikawa is an amazing guitarist, but he kinda lacks personality. He just kinda stands there doing his thing most of the time. However, you can instantly tell when Yayoshi replaced him in the Gyakutai Glycogen band as the quality of the guitar went way down. Can't compare.
Old 2010.05.09, 04:09 PM   #95
Superficial Fan

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Are there any particular latin tracks you'd compare Morphine to?
Well, part of the time the congas are playing something that is either a bolero rhythm or something close to it. I'm not a musician, but:

Bolero rhythm demonstration

Just a random example of a bolero (though I like this singer and I'm pretty sure this song is considered a classic):

Jose Tejedor - En Las Tineblas
Old 2010.05.27, 10:54 PM   #96
yulio

yulio pleased at least somebody

from rate your music:

Never heard of her before. I somehow stumbled on this page, and after reading the reviews (positive only) I was lead to believe this is something exceptional, and even if I don't care about j-pop I should give it a try. I especially was interested because someone wrote that it's "extremely noisy pop music".

Right. So I got the album, put it on my iPod.

I kept waiting for the noisy part. And waiting... and waiting... Had to put volume down, so I wouldn't be embarrassed if someone heard what I'm listening to. Album ended. No noise, no art.

Just mainstream pop/guitar pop music. Don't lead people thinking it's something more. She might be good at what she does, but I simply have no use for this kind of music.
it's funny because i was like him the first time i heard this album .this album is kind of generic (not bad), is my least favorite album from hers.
yulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.24, 11:03 AM   #97
SakeIt2Me

SakeIt2Me is headed in the right direction

More extremely late MM love:

First off, her songs rule. Especially the Tsumiki Asobi beats, the Koufukoron screaming (SR teaching me how to count in Japanese at the end, that's priceless), the Kabukichou no joou vocal melody...and Keikoku is awesome. I wasn't expecting to like this album so much, I don't know why.
Also, I think the production on this is sooo great! It bugs me to no end that every "songstress" I hear on the radio is practically singing in their sleep, no doubt with pitch correction on (not that SR doesn't/didn't use it, but she doesn't sound sterilized!). On MM I can hear her voice straining in most songs, so nice to hear someone actually trying to sing the feeling of the song. Don't sing the words kids, sing the feelings... And as a sidenote, if she wasn't trying to sound orgasmic, with all the gaspy endings, cut-offs, and background breathing samples, she sure fooled me. (Ex. Keikoku from 3:00 on)
Old 2010.10.17, 07:52 PM   #98
vielleicht

vielleicht pleased at least somebody

Hello,

I just bought a second-hand CD of Muzai Moratorium but found it quite dubious and not sure if it's a pirate edition, would some owner kindly upload some pictures of the close-up shots of the disc please? Your help is most sincerely appreciated...

Thanks in advance!
vielleicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.17, 08:02 PM   #99
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

There you go Legitimate edition has the camera pic.

Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.17, 11:00 PM   #100
vielleicht

vielleicht pleased at least somebody

Thank you very much, Ringo~Bingo! I have exactly this edition, however, it has only one IFPI code on the outside ring showing IFPI L153 (which is coherent by Toshiba) while usually they have 2...Now I'm really confused...
vielleicht is offline   Reply With Quote