Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2013.05.29, 04:33 AM   #121
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I totally agree and I know it's comical. I just got like really deep into the Japanese Wikipedia articles and had to share all the information I found there. It was like "What is this reference to Kioicho??? I must know" and then to explain how it connects to the Prince Hotel, there's alllll this backstory. So yeah, I know it's a little ridiculous but ohhh welllll.

As for reposting, I don't think I would mind excerpts with credit. Just not a complete copy/paste job. I appreciate the respect very much though.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.29, 06:37 AM   #122
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

For more context (though I think you already get it), I always liked Borges a lot for his fictive scholarliness. I like the fact that instead of non-fiction that reads like a novel (which for some reason is frequently thrown around as a compliment), he wrote fictions that would read like an essay. A more obscure example would be the poet Armand Schwerner who did a series of pseudo-translations of non-existent ancient literature, The Tablets, complete with lengthy footnotes, my favorite of which is one in which he says something like: sometimes I feel like I'm making this up.

I don't know why I'm so literary-minded this week. I'm really not. Mostly I'm just a politically obsessed conspiracy nut these days, actually.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.30, 08:22 AM   #123
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Superficial Fan, have you read Nabokov's Pale Fire? A murder mystery in poet-interpreting footnotes!
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.31, 04:49 AM   #124
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

There's also the annotated Alice in Wonderland, which I love.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.31, 08:08 AM   #125
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I recommend Midnight's Children

(haha, we should continue this on the book thread!)
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.11.26, 07:14 AM   #126
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts
Cool

Sorry if someone already remarked on this, but Kronekodow lists no title for Color bars. I just think it's interesting... if not a little over-dramatic.
Old 2015.01.02, 04:55 PM   #127
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Revisited this just now. Inseu's comment on last.fm inspired me to do so.

For fun, here's my 2015 thoughts:
-Konya wa Kasaragi is still such a great performance by the whole band.
-Kai Horrordust is still the worst TJ song other than Service
-Time Capsule is totally the most underrated track on here. The production is beautiful. Fuck the haterz.
-sa_i_ta is almost un-listenable to me nowadays. Pressed skip halfway through, so bland.
-Honto no Tokoro fucking rocks so much.

Overall: While an obvious release to capitalize on the breakup, this is Jihen sounding suprisingly more inspired than they had since Sports was released. Regardless of the result, there is still a certain freshness and playfulness to the songs that a band like this should always have. In no way their best release, it still makes me nostalgic about the band and all their excesses, no matter how goofy. Do I want them back? Not at all- (at least yet anyway). But there still are lots of good memories to be had listening to this. Even if those memories involve fondly looking back on how much you trashed it. It certainly gave me a big sappy grin across my face.

EDIT: Also, while not on this disc, I also re-listened to the Recovery Disk of Hard Disk. The track Bon Voyage is such a charming disaster. I've gone from hating it to loving how awful it is. It's like The Room of Jihen tracks :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.01.02 at 05:26 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 01:03 AM   #128
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

^

My 2015 thought for Konya wa Kasaragi is that I'm recognising how good the song is. I love how extremely flabbergasted Ringo herself sounds in this, leading up to the TAMEIKESANNOH vocal smackdown.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.03, 12:41 PM   #129
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

hey I love sa_i_ta. Bon Voyage performance rocks as well. 'Bland' is definitely not the word I'd use for it.
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.12, 11:08 AM   #130
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
-Time Capsule is totally the most underrated track on here. The production is beautiful. Fuck the haterz.
How can it be underrated when a top 10 poster such as myself has it as the top ranked track on the EP?

BTW, DG, if we're ever in Japan at the same time... Wanna karaoke Honto no Tokoro with me? We can film it, post it here and tweet it to Ringo.

Originally Posted by zordon View Post
hey I love sa_i_ta. Bon Voyage performance rocks as well. 'Bland' is definitely not the word I'd use for it.
Bland is the perfect word for it. It's punchy, but lacks any substance. It's like a bad Bonnie Pink song that overstays its welcome and has Uki singing. Good for a play once a year at best.