Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.05.31, 07:57 AM   #11
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Lots of good stuff in these lists (I assume ). I need to listen to the Plastic Ono Band's album. I always hear that it was really good, but I was never a big fan of Lennon's post-Beatles stuff, so I'm taking forever to find it. I suppose you'd recommend it, Whispermon, being that it's on your top albums list?
Yes, I'd recommend it. It is very dark and honest though. I don't think there's a particularly happy song on the album. 'Mother' is the stand out track. Possibly the most emotional song Lennon's ever written.
Old 2007.05.31, 07:59 AM   #12
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I'd say that Radiohead and Pink Floyd are probably the most unusual of that list. I love Radiohead, but I was never able to get into Pink Floyd too much. Creep is actually probably one of my least favorites of Radiohead's songs. It's hard to recommend music from this band because they've changed so much, but I'll give it a try if you're interested. I actually prefer their newer, odder albums, though each of their older ones have a lot that I really like too.

And if you're interested in listening to some Beatles, Muse, or even Coldplay (to some degree), just talk to me or another member who likes these bands -- there are several of us.

RADIOHEAD

Normal songs:

Street Spirit [Fade Out] (earlier song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrZTNhW44-o

Karma Police (mid-point of their continuing career)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LeLAELIxKY

Stranger songs:

Idioteque (newish, but not quite) -- not the real version of the song, but close enough and good nonetheless
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyrQOhKkV8I

How to Disappear Completely -- this song is beautiful, but I think it's probably an acquired taste like a lot of Radiohead's music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZq_jeYsbTs

Like Spinning Plates -- *see above description *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQBDsNiCCNM

I'm not sure if those were the best examples to give, but they're a few songs that I (and most Radiohead fans, it seems) really like.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.31, 08:02 AM   #13
fluffiethesock

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Yes, I'd recommend it. It is very dark and honest though. I don't think there's a particularly happy song on the album. 'Mother' is the stand out track. Possibly the most emotional song Lennon's ever written.

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't want to jumble that all together. I kind of like albums that make you feel a little sad (not emo, mind you ). Amnesiac makes me feel a bit melancholy, which is one of the reasons why I love it so. I've heard about Mother.. I didn't realize it was on that album. Now I really want to hear it.
Old 2007.05.31, 08:20 AM   #14
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, I love Amnesiac and I think you picked pretty good selections to introduce somebody. Especially How to disappear completely. That's Thom Yorke's favourite Radiohead song. I'd add the recommendation of these, which are a good accesable starting point:

Fake Plastic Tree's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-F5L1S7LKU

and

Just (Best music video ever, and it shows that they can ROCK) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5X7HKxpiQA

Have you heard Like Spinning Plates live, Fluffie? I love it so much more. Also, if you like The Clock of Yorke's solo album... listen to this live rendition. It gives me goosebumps! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huXb6lLLy10
Old 2007.05.31, 10:17 AM   #15
vayerism

vayerism is headed in the right direction

KID A - Everything in its right place, National Anthem, Optimistic
Morning bell in Kid A version is cool.

Amnesia - Pyramid Song, You and whose army and Knives out.

Don't you guys into Hail to the thief? I like a lot song in this album.

Fluffie: did you watched the Pink Floyd or Roger Waters the live of "Dark side of the moon" ?
vayerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.31, 12:05 PM   #16
Inaudible-Whisper

I love Hail to the Thief, but I thought there were already a good amount of recommendations already. Plus I think there are better 'first timer songs' on other albums.

And I don't think Hail to the Thief has a select few stand out songs in comparison to other albums. While it does have stand out songs for me, the album seems to be completely different for everybody. For example my friend adores 'There There' and Thom said it's one of the best songs they've written, yet I think it's the weakest single they've ever produced. I adore 2+2=5 and Sit Down, Stand Up seems to get quite mixed reactions. I love it.
Old 2007.05.31, 12:22 PM   #17
fluffiethesock

Have you heard Like Spinning Plates live, Fluffie? I love it so much more. Also, if you like The Clock of Yorke's solo album... listen to this live rendition. It gives me goosebumps! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huXb6lLLy10
Yeah, 'Like Spinning Plates' is masterful when he plays it on the piano. And I have Yorke's solo album, but I haven't listened to it enough to know all the songs yet. I did like that video of The Clock though. Thanks for that, mon.

Originally Posted by vayerism View Post
KID A - Everything in its right place, National Anthem, Optimistic
Morning bell in Kid A version is cool.

Amnesia - Pyramid Song, You and whose army and Knives out.

Don't you guys into Hail to the thief? I like a lot song in this album.

Fluffie: did you watched the Pink Floyd or Roger Waters the live of "Dark side of the moon" ?
I actually like Morning Bell Amnesiac more than Kid A's, but that version is really good too. Does anyone ever listen to 'Treefingers'? I'm kind of upset with that song, though I'm sure there's someone out there who enjoys it.

And ohhh yeah, I definitely like Hail to the Thief. 2+2=5, Sail to the Moon, Go to Sleep, We Suck Young Blood, There There, I Will, A Punchup at a Wedding, Myxomatosis, and A Wolf at the Door (though I'm not fond of the cursing in it) are all awesome songs. "I Will" is one of my favorite songs ever because of its haunting sound, its simplicity, and the fact that I can somewhat sing along to it. Little babies' eyes, eyes, eyes, eyessss...

But negatory, I've never seen Dark Side of the Moon. That's an album too, right? I listened to The Wall, but I thought it was kind of hard to stick with. I'm willing to try them out again if you recommend some stuff though.
Old 2007.05.31, 12:40 PM   #18
Inaudible-Whisper

One of my house mates calls me Whispermon now lol. This thread has made me listen to Hail to the Thief actually. I've decided one day when it's raining, I want to blast Sit Down, Stand Up and then when it kicks in and "The Rain Drops!" repeats 47 times I want to run into the street and dance around shouting the lyrics like a made caveman might dance around a fire with a stick. Radiohead has that type of influence on me . I love the way Thom dances on stage... it might not look cool, or make much sense but you can tell he is just letting the music take control and flowing with it.
Old 2007.06.01, 02:45 AM   #19
vayerism

vayerism is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
And ohhh yeah, I definitely like Hail to the Thief. 2+2=5, Sail to the Moon, Go to Sleep, We Suck Young Blood, There There, I Will, A Punchup at a Wedding, Myxomatosis, and A Wolf at the Door (though I'm not fond of the cursing in it) are all awesome songs. "I Will" is one of my favorite songs ever because of its haunting sound, its simplicity, and the fact that I can somewhat sing along to it. Little babies' eyes, eyes, eyes, eyessss...

But negatory, I've never seen Dark Side of the Moon. That's an album too, right? I listened to The Wall, but I thought it was kind of hard to stick with. I'm willing to try them out again if you recommend some stuff though.
yea all your choice is almost the same, expecially there there, go to sleep, we suck young blood, I will.

Dark Side of the Moon is the most important album in the century, i watched Roger Waters playing the whole album in the concert at Hong Kong, until now it's the best concert in my life, strongly recommend you to buy a dvd which played by him or nowaday PINK FLOYD.
vayerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.01, 08:27 AM   #20
fluffiethesock

One of my house mates calls me Whispermon now lol. This thread has made me listen to Hail to the Thief actually. I've decided one day when it's raining, I want to blast Sit Down, Stand Up and then when it kicks in and "The Rain Drops!" repeats 47 times I want to run into the street and dance around shouting the lyrics like a made caveman might dance around a fire with a stick. Radiohead has that type of influence on me . I love the way Thom dances on stage... it might not look cool, or make much sense but you can tell he is just letting the music take control and flowing with it.

Hahaha, that's awesome. Your mission: Get everyone you know to call you Whispermon.. And then a couple months after it's caught on, add the condition that every time they call you that, they have to give you five dollars.

But chyeah, Hail to the Thief is kind of hard to get into at first, like some of their other albums, but it's cool that you started listening to it again.

Now, the rain dance idea is a swell one. I might actually do that too if I get the chance, though my mom would get mad if I blasted music that loud. She can't stand Radiohead because of their awesomeness.

And Thom certainly does look cool when he dances!

Originally Posted by vayerism View Post
yea all your choice is almost the same, expecially there there, go to sleep, we suck young blood, I will.

Dark Side of the Moon is the most important album in the century, i watched Roger Waters playing the whole album in the concert at Hong Kong, until now it's the best concert in my life, strongly recommend you to buy a dvd which played by him or nowaday PINK FLOYD.
Alrighty, I'll give that a try. Thanks for the recommendation, vayer! By the way, I like the new avatar