Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.04.28, 12:32 PM   #11
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I fail to see what you're getting at..

EDIT: I assume you realize Lady is a Tramp and Get it Up for Love are songs not-written by Shiina, (in the case of Tramp, anyway, is very) well known and predate her career by at least decades.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.04.28 at 06:39 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.28, 06:29 PM   #12
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I don't know what kind of modern songs Ringo would like. >_< I only know from the season songlists she posts and Frecklegirl translates.

Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Ringo stated she liked Maroon5 before, and I think with Sakuran (ONKYO ver.) she was influenced by their style, to a certain extent ("let's burn up this room").

It's a really good song. And I wonder if other Ringo fans agree.
Hmm, I like this song, too. o_o;; But, I don't see how it's similar to "Sakuran" other than that lyric. But, I was surprised to see that Ringo liked "This Love"! I wonder if she likes Maroon 5 and if so, I want to listen to more of their songs! o_o;;

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
And this song sounds like something from the Backstreet Boys for me(Don't dare to say something Lena&X_O)
...Hehehheheheh +_+;;
Old 2007.05.01, 03:36 PM   #13
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

What are y'all talking about, everyone knows Maroon 5 gets compared to Jamiroquai all the time. Jay Kay even got asked about it a lot and had to be like "whatevs, I don't care." I heard Maroon 5 before Jamiroquai and when I heard Jamiroquai it was like "omg!! Maroon 5!" They are definitely similar but if anyone copied anyone Maroon 5 did, oh noes.

I reallllllllllly like this song and can't wait for their (AHHHH FINALLY) new album. Considering I was listening to their first album like, junior year of high school (oh god, that was 4 years ago) it's been way overdue.

Maroon 5 is a bit too popular with the screaming teenagers crowd but oh, their songs are so jamming sometimes... and I've got a lot of memories associated with the songs (primarily as car songs/high school associations). so, whatever

Now, would Ringo like this? I think she would. It doesn't mean she has to make music like it (though how much would THAT rock!!). But she'd like it.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.01, 03:50 PM   #14
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Jamiroquai <==> Maroon 5?

hard-ly
Old 2007.05.01, 08:14 PM   #15
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Jamiroquai <==> Maroon 5?

hard-ly
I second that. Maroon 5 is missing the Funk and the Boogie for this comparison.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.02, 05:01 AM   #16
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Is there anyone else that gets a headache when reading "Shéna"?

And this song sounds like something from the Backstreet Boys for me(Don't dare to say something Lena&X_O)
Agreed! So 90's.
I don't really have an opinion about Maroon5 - their music don't touch me in any way.
Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.02, 12:45 PM   #17
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Regardless of personal opinion, the Maroon 5/Jamiroquai thing does happen a lot. You can be all "OMG THEY'RE SOOOO DIFFERENT" but this is as ubiquitous a comparison as U2 and Coldplay.
Old 2007.05.02, 12:48 PM   #18
Tokyo Jihad

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
but this is as ubiquitous a comparison as U2 and Coldplay.
As in theyre both "hahah, what?" ? =P

U2 <==> Coldplay I never heard either.
Old 2007.05.02, 01:04 PM   #19
frecklegirl
apple-princess

Reviews of "Songs About Jane":
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...About+Jane.htm
Though on first listen it may be tempting to describe Maroon 5 as simply an American Jamiroquai with more developed songwriting skills
http://www.popmatters.com/music/revi...n5-songs.shtml
Hey, what could be stranger than a band mimicking the sound of Jamiroquai, with just a bit of dilution?

And then Jay Kay's response (you can tell he got asked about it a lot):
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...s%20maroon%205
Jamiroquai frontman JAY KAY has rejected accusations rockers Maroon 5 have stolen his musical style, insisting all contemporary artists borrow old sounds. The VIRTUAL INSANITY star admits the ADAM LEVINE-fronted hitmakers - who have garnered a massive worldwide fanbase since the release of their 2003 album SONGS ABOUT JANE - are producing tracks similar to his own past compositions, but he refuses to be bitter.
Instead, Kay understands it's impossible for 21st Century acts to create totally original tunes - something he failed to achieve himself.
He says, "I've only heard three tracks and one of them is a bit like Virtual Insanity, I've got to say. I don't know whether they're ripping me off, they probably just like the same stuff.
"I always get told that I'm still STEVIE f**king WONDER - I can never be me."
You really haven't heard the U2/Coldplay thing? It's pretty common knowledge. o_o
Old 2007.05.02, 03:47 PM   #20
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think Jamiroquai vs Maroon 5 is like Sounan vs Blackout. Yes.