Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2013.05.27, 11:04 AM   #11
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I have some issues to appreciate Noriki, some issues with Kodoku no Akatsuki as well.

Ringo, please, don't do it thrice.

But I guess that we have to accept that the Tokyo Jihen experience will have some influence on her songwritting for a while.
teattum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.27, 02:27 PM   #12
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Kodoku no Akatsuki definitely could have been a pretty good TJ song.

I'd like to see a full-out crazy remix of this one as that little electronic remix they used for the TV show looping a riff of the guitar solo in the bridge was really cool.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.27, 02:57 PM   #13
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Akatsuki... is a total insult. It even fails to live down to a Kameda track. The mildly quirky bridge sounds like it's been shoved in as an (half-hearted) apology for the all-out J-Pop.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.27, 04:23 PM   #14
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Kodoku no Akatsuki is catchy post-punk awesomeness. Plus I love those high notes starting at 30 seconds. Classic Jihen. I think I'm gonna overplay it.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.27, 05:44 PM   #15
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer
Red face

TBH I am just anticipating a new album with these two new songs, jiyuu e michizure, and ariamaru tomi. That would really be a dream come true for me.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.27, 07:03 PM   #16
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Akatsuki... is a total insult. It even fails to live down to a Kameda track. The mildly quirky bridge sounds like it's been shoved in as an (half-hearted) apology for the all-out J-Pop.
I don't care about the "all out jpop" that much...

It's the fact that initial previews were some really interesting sounding "dance"/Nakata-like version.... what the hell happened to it???

The bridge part I like but it annoys me too, such a tease, coulda built a whole song around it. And it pretty much makes it have the exact same song structure as Irohanihoheto.

I really hope in the future she can make her songs longer too... I don't see that happening though, she seems to be on a real "3 Min" vendetta atm.

Let's see what she can bring when writing without a tie-in. Hopefully more Ironihoheto and less Kodoku no Akatsuki. Hell, give me more Carnation over Akatsuki anyday.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.05.27 at 07:07 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.27, 08:57 PM   #17
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

The beginning of "Kodoku no Akatsuki" reminds me of Boz Scaggs's "We're All Alone"!* Now I'm not saying the song sounds anything like that overall, but I keep thinking of that song in the opening part (and when it repeats). Overall, it seems like a pretty Jihenish song and I'm still on the fence about it. One thing that strikes me and bothers me a bit in most of her newer material is that it doesn't have the organic feel of much of her earlier work (up to Adult--maybe even including Sanmon Gossip though I'd have to think about that since I'm not a big fan of it and almost never listen to it). It seems more openly a matter of muso pastiche: now we're going to do that, now we're going to do this, and here's a slightly fancy key change, or something like that. A case can certainly be made for an aesthetic that actually shows you where things are joined together and maybe even makes that stand out, but I can't help preferring the more organic sound and feel that I think existed in her earlier work. It was more a matter of "wow, it feels so natural, maybe inevitable, the way the song has moved through these changes, even though they weren't obvious."

Irohanihoheto continues to grow on me, and I think the PV has helped. It still feels a bit too much like I am admiring her skillfulness but not really being all that moved by it. As I've said elsewhere, I also kind of get the sense that she can knock off a song like this fairly easily, which, if true, is a tribute to her professionalism. But. . . But something. I don't know, I'm making it sound like I don't like the song, when I do. But it still feels like something is missing.

*Maybe she's been hanging out with Junpei, listening to 70s albums.

(LOL, I very briefly dated a non-Japanese American who had had a brief career singing her own songs in English, in Japan, singing her own songs in English, and also hosting a radio show featuring soul music (as well as doing some other things in the media). I also remember her mentioning that that there was some new popular Japanese singer she thought I might like--this was in around 2000--but I don't think she ever said the name. I think the train of thought was interrupted. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Ringo. I wonder if she ever had Junpei on her show. I think she said she used to co-host it with Barry White (sometimes?). It's been a while, so sorry if this sounds like I'm making it up as I go along, but it's kind of hazy at this point.)

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2013.05.27 at 09:15 PM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.28, 03:52 AM   #18
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I also like the bridge in Kodoku no Akatsuki but it really is just shoved in there. I agree that it's not organic... in Irohanihoheto it sort of works and to be honest, I like it because it (the bridge) reminds me of her older works.

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
(LOL, I very briefly dated a non-Japanese American who had had a brief career singing her own songs in English, in Japan, singing her own songs in English, and also hosting a radio show featuring soul music (as well as doing some other things in the media). I also remember her mentioning that that there was some new popular Japanese singer she thought I might like--this was in around 2000--but I don't think she ever said the name. I think the train of thought was interrupted. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Ringo. I wonder if she ever had Junpei on her show. I think she said she used to co-host it with Barry White (sometimes?). It's been a while, so sorry if this sounds like I'm making it up as I go along, but it's kind of hazy at this point.)
Telll us her nammmeeee.
Old 2013.05.28, 09:54 AM   #19
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

So Izawa's playing the harpsichord in Irohanihoeto?
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.29, 04:58 AM   #20
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Picked up my copy at the Shinjuku Tower Records tonight! (Ugh... why did I go on Wednesday/release day... I had to wait in a stupid line just to buy it!)

Anyway, there was a spectacular Ringo display in honor of it, including a book to sign (took a picture of the first page) and a message from her. Here are some pictures!

(The note from Ringo says: "Dear Tower Records Shinjuku, Sorry for the lack of contact. Thank you for always selling so many of my products. I bring you new songs for the first time in a while. Please savor them.")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0175.jpg (2.32 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0172.jpg (2.12 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0173.jpg (2.13 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0174.jpg (1.45 MB, 7 views)
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote