Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.10.04, 02:11 PM   #31
Appeltje

Appeltje pleased at least somebody

It's just like any music genre isn't it? Rap can be good provided it's done the right way.
I love this song by Molotov:

Molotov - Gimme the Power

Viva Mexico Cabrones!

Last edited by Appeltje : 2007.10.04 at 02:16 PM.
Appeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.04, 09:47 PM   #32
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Rap? Hm...

-The rap elements in Ozomatli are often pretty good (they're predominantly Latin funk rock or however you can describe it). I recommend starting with the most recent (Don't Mess With the Dragon) and working backwards if you look into it.
-Jurassic 5 was good pre-Feedback (and now they're not active), and the Wu-Tang Clan was best when they first busted on the scene (although maybe the upcoming 8 Diagrams will actually be good).
-Gym Class Heroes is a nice idea (rap over live instruments, no mixing) but they're running into problems with too many of their songs sounding the same because of it.
-A lot of the dirty south is disappointing mostly because it's nothing but the odd mix of crunk and those lame-ass materialistic songs.
-The whole East Coast/West Coast rivalry era produced some good stuff back in the day, but there's so much of it that it's arduous to try and sift through it all. The Dre/Snoop/Pac team pretty much stole the show, no offense to Biggie (but full offense to Diddy).
-Indie rap can be too esoteric. You pretty much have to love the entire genre to get satisfactory enjoyment out of it.
-A lot of Del (tha Funky Homosapien)'s stuff can be funny. You may know him from Phase 1 Gorillaz.
-I can't understand why Deftech ever had a huge success with their first album, but I guess I expect a lot whenever there are any English lyrics involved.
-m-flo's fairly solid, though COSMICOLOR is pushing it. However, it's the last of the "m-flo ♥" series, so I guess it's okay.
-For Korean stuff, Epik High and a little bit of Drunken Tiger should suffice.
-I'd talk about Filipino rap, but that's too embarrassing.
-MC Frontalot. Search for it.

EDIT: Hey, anyone remember the Fugees? What a good time to be around...

I forgot to mention stuff like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, A Tribe Called Quest, Dilated Peoples, Common, and the like - if you want to hear "consciousness" rap, I suppose they would be good, too.

Last edited by Positron : 2007.10.04 at 10:04 PM.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.04, 09:50 PM   #33
freshevryday

freshevryday pleased at least somebody

^ i love video

I think you guys need a halfrican point of view. so heres my take on rap: I don't really have a huge problem with sex and drinking in a song, but it's the extent to which they take it to that bothers me. i hate mainstream rap, every now and then i hear something i like but even when do it get annoying fast. i more about the emotion that the music gives off. i mean how many time do you need to "crank that soldier boy", and sex is boring without a story behind it. I like nujabes (he only makes the music) i like M.I.A. (is that rap?) i like m-flo and i like mos def most of the time.

to make everything simple i like any kind of music that coveys a vulgarless emotion and/or tells a good story

Blog: Just Can't Help it!
freshevryday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.06, 12:07 PM   #34
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I hate Soulja Boy, all of his music is an example of horrible horrible rap. Seriously, Crank Dat is the worst song I've ever heard. Actually, not really, but it's up there on the list.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.07, 04:38 PM   #35
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

I've pretty much stayed clear of all rap and hip-hop for a while so I really don't know any songs, I don't hear any at all which is good . Unfortunately, while at my cousin's house the other day, I was exposed to soldier boy @_@. Excruciating

I do like M-flo every once and a while though
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote