Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.06.29, 05:24 PM   #81
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

the next Ringo project involves giving away her golden songs to some other singer.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.29, 05:46 PM   #82
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

2nd day simplified review:

This is good enough to not complain about. MOST of her BEST songs seem to written already (pre-Variety). This stuff isn't bad though. Same level as Sports. Some replay value.

For the disc does have that phoney "hidden temple" sound but I still dig it.

Last edited by lazer85 : 2011.06.29 at 05:46 PM. Reason: tube? disc?
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.29, 05:59 PM   #83
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I can also officially confirm that in go with the wind Ringo sings "fine masturbation" towards the end. OFFICIAL LYRICS. I think I can die in peace now.

edit: I also seem to be in the minority in thinking the end of the album works well. It balances the front half quite well and despite the fact that we've heard 3 of the last four tracks, plus the middle track, they do flow well and create a nice upswing to end on. However, I think most of us are soured by working through the new material so early in the track progression. Five years from now when a new fan gets this album, none of that will matter, because it will all be new to them.

at the moment I like Tengoku for the Tube a little better than for the Disc. For the Disc has some cool production values, but it is too short and doesn't have that crazy buildup and badass guitar towards the end. It's actually more intense in for the tube and the english lyrics are quite different than the japanese. I just am not a huge fan of the production of for the Tube in it sounding muddy and flat. Oh well.

anyone else in love with les adultes terribles? I can't not groove whenever I hear it.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2011.06.29 at 06:21 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.29, 06:28 PM   #84
laceychu

laceychu pleased at least somebody

since they are the only band I listen to, i'm always excited to hear something new. overall it has been a very happy day.
laceychu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.29, 06:50 PM   #85
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

What makes tengoku the first track special for me is the dancing-like feel for the song and how she stresses the "ka" and "ko" sounds. There are damn alot of those in the lyrics.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.29, 06:59 PM   #86
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by laceychu View Post
since they are the only band I listen to, i'm always excited to hear something new. overall it has been a very happy day.
Epic post. That is dedication
Old 2011.06.29, 08:33 PM   #87
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Adult> Kyoiku> Daihakken> Variety> Sports

I think that should confuse everyone, but that really is how I'd rank their albums. I need to listen to Daihakken some more. It's better than I expected, but. . . Well, but.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.29, 09:02 PM   #88
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

here are my scattered thoughts after 2 days and about 5 listens.

tengoku for the disc - I enjoyed this but the not sure how long the production will stay fresh and interesting. I liked the original arrangement and this focuses on the melody, but I feel that the dramatic lyrics and guitar are a hard price to pay for some exotic sounds. glad both are on the album.

relative vs absolute - with each listen this grows on me. this is the lyrical monster of the bunch, showing once again Ringo is a demon. Reminds me of Denpa Tsuushin

bunmei kaika - I have liked this since the video. I don't get the comparisons to senkou shoujo and on a whole I think it does a good job being an upbeat pop song with a twist, just like izawa and ringo intended.

denki no nai machi - not seeing the mass appeal. the only straight up ballad on the disc and it fails to have an emotional resonance for me, even given the lyrics and the origin. pinocchio, tegami, even zettai zetsubou are in completely different class

kaitei - where do I begin? the vocals here are quite possibly the worst ever recorded by ringo. if she sang this in a lower register it could work, but she comes off as shrill and shrieky in a bad way. everyone who hated killer tune now can shut up because she looks like an angel there compared to here. possibly the worst song TJ has put on to record

kinjirareta asobi - interesting production values, sounds like a sports/adult hybrid. not digging the flat chorus considering the verses are so dynamic. not a standout on the album for me but kind of interesting to see how it ages. will go down as this albums wacky "bokoku jousho" etc

dopamint - people hate the single and love this? not much has changed, except its slower and jazzed up. it feels a bit contrived although it passes quickly enough.

les adultes terribles - the best track on the record. hands down. I really dislike Uki but Ringo's vocals here are divine, finally singing in a lower register and with just the right production. the band once again feels cohesive and all five parts feel needed and in perfect unison/harmony. I can't help but bop along to this every time I hear it, and this is coming from someone who avoids most jazz and rnb like the plague.

21 century - kind of catchy, not getting the hate. considering this was a joint effort between ringo, izawa, and kameda, this is the first 3 person song we've had and is most representative of the total band for that reason.

katsute - short, forgettable, not quite horrible, but definitely not album worthy.

sora ga natteiru - I have always liked this song and it sounds great on the album. picks the pace back up and a nice lead into the next track

go with the wind - sounds a kyouiku/adult hybrid. some of the best drumming and instrumentation on the record with less showy vocals than some of the other tracks. this could down as a dark horse favorite over the course of time.

onna no ko - this song gets a lot of hate for no reason. this isn't the true closer, tengoku for the tube is, and as a second to last track it does a great at resetting our palatte and building up to a nice emotional climax that ends with tengoku

tengoku for the tube - what can I say. the lyrics are dark, the guitar and instrumentation is crazy, ringo herself is insane, this is everything I love about jihen. my only complaint is the overall production/mastering, I wish it was a bit more dynamic and crisp.

overall I think this album is going to age a lot better than Sports or Variety. My major concern is with Ringo's vocals. She seems to be singing more and more in her upper register, which is getting shot over the years. Gone are the deep and beautiful lower registers we have heard on KZK and Adult. Every track on this album I dislike is almost entirely due to Ringo's vocals, which is a first for me. Going forward I think it will be interesting to see what direction Jihen takes. This album has a theme, but Sports and Discovery both feel like steps away from a theme and more towards albums of loosely related songs tied together by production values. This is both good and bad IMO. I would like to see Jihen not limited by concepts, but Variety, Sports, and Discovery all lack in the the consistency Adult and even Kyouiku had, which is honestly what sets them apart.

On a whole it leaves me a bit confused though. Tengoku for Disc is very confusing as a lead in track. Nothing else quite sounds like it and it feels different just for the sake of being so. Had they pursued the entire album with such production values, I think we could be looking at TJ's return to true form, but at this point with so many separate members writing songs in pairs and alone, getting a consistent theme and tone could be difficult. Most of Kyouiku and Adult was Ringo, and even though she has had the biggest role in Discovery of any post Adult album, the inconsistent tone almost feels entirely due to Uki. With Ringo, Kameda, and Izawa all collaborating, the only member who remains on their own is Uki, who contributed what I consider one of the best and the undoubtedly WORST track to the album. confusing.

to follow trends I'd say

Adult > Kyouiku > Daihakken/Sports > Variety right now I think Sports and Discovery are on equal par, but once the dust settles I think I will prefer Discovery as an album (as a whole), with individual songs performing stronger from Sports (Ikiru, Kimaru, etc)

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2011.06.29 at 09:07 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.30, 04:03 AM   #89
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
according the the official booklet (which I found the credits in, on page one)

21Seiki Uchuu no Ko is words by Ringo, Music by Kameda and Izawa. If I'm not mistaken that was misprinted in previous track listings posted here.
Huh, so then I'm guessing the 2ch rumors from a couple of weeks ago were right, and that Korean blog was wrong. Thanks for clearing it up.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.30, 08:06 AM   #90
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Kamedist - 恐るべき大人達 bass cover
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote