Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.04.02, 12:07 PM   #1
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer
Default [SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS] 2013.08.07 - Circles (CD) [Album]

Circles

01. SOIL&''PIMP''SESSIONS feat. RHYMESTER - ジャズィ・カンヴァセイション (Jazzy Conversation)
02. SOIL&''PIMP''SESSIONS と椎名林檎 (Shiina Ringo) - 殺し屋危機一髪 (Koroshiya Kiki-ippatsu)
03. SOIL&''PIMP''SESSIONS feat. José James - Summer Love
04. SOIL&''PIMP'' BIG BAND feat. 福原美穂 (Fukuhara Miho) - Bon Bon Villa
05. SOIL&''PIMP''SESSIONS feat. MIYAVI - Light Blue Soldier
06. SOIL&''PIMP''SESSIONS feat. DJ KENTARO - Iceburn
07. SOIL&''PIMP''SESSIONS feat. U-zhaan - Ananta
08. SOIL&''PIMP''SESSIONS feat. Ryat - 記憶の旅 (Kioku no Tabi)
09. SOIL&''PIMP''SESSIONS feat. 七尾旅人 (Nanao Tabito) - Frog in the World!
10. SOIL&''PIMP''SESSIONS feat. BONNIE PINK - Hey Tagger, I’m Here
11. SOIL&''PIMP''SESSIONS と椎名林檎 (Shiina Ringo) - 殺し屋危機一髪 (Koroshiya Kiki-ippatsu) [DEATH JAZZ ver.] {Limited Bonus Track}
Total Playtime (of limited edition): 46:32

Limited Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia

Retail Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.06, 06:11 PM   #4
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Well, Circles is on its way... Won't be long till we hear the Death Jazz ver. of Assassins Assassin
Old 2013.08.08, 08:21 AM   #5
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
I'll have my copy within 8 hours.
Yours might've shipped out 12-24 hours before mine did, because I had something else briefly holding my order up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bonus DVD looked pretty good (even if it's standard definition), because SAPS's U Want More has better picture quality than most other concert DVDs I've watched, and without that hyper-realness Bon Voyage has got going on. Since we know the Assassin's Assassin PV was shot in HD (if the official YouTube video is any indication), then it's reasonable to assume they did a proper downscale for the DVD and are milking every last pixel available in SD. There's hardly anything inherently wrong with standard definition - it's mostly that people screw it up so often.

*edit*
My prediction about the video quality, turned out to be accurate. I would even go so far as to proclaim that Assassin's Assassin looks at least as good on this bonus DVD as it does on YouTube's "high definition" options. I'm hardly disappointed about this being a DVD instead of a Blu-Ray. When playing it in Video LAN Client, I don't even have to deinterlace this DVD - it already looks fantastic as-is.

Here's some examples:

vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h00m09s177.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h00m46s36.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h01m45s126.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h02m07s67.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h11m32s233.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-15h02m35s108.png
vlcsnap-2013-08-08-14h55m44s213.png

As for the DEATH JAZZ version of Assassin's Assassin...
It's everything I wanted the song to be, when I heard the normal version. I didn't directly have a problem with Saito Neko, but the side-effect of him being there, is that there was barely anything for Josei (the keyboardist) to do. I have to confess, I'm almost a sucker for Josei - I'll buy pretty much anything with him in it. As it turns out, the DEATH JAZZ version has a lot more Josei (doing some surprisingly good bossa nova), and no Saito Neko at all. Quite a few people were complaining about how 2:39 wasn't long enough for the regular version. Well, guess what? DEATH JAZZ version is 3:15. It was difficult to say whether or not the regular version of Assassin's Assassin was better than anything on the Carnation single, but the DEATH JAZZ version is unquestionably better.

As for the other songs, so far the Bonnie Pink track clearly stands out, and I'd say the RHYMESTER track is a runner-up. None of the other tracks are bad, but they aren't doing it for me like standalone SAPS material. However, giving credit where it's due, the worst collaborations on this album are better than most PE'Z collaborations.

I should also note that all of the recordings here are nice and clear. I can blast any of these tracks pretty loud on my equipment, without feeling like my ears are being attacked. This is really no surprise, if you've listened to other albums from the record label (Victor).

Last edited by Glathannus : 2013.08.08 at 01:37 PM.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.11, 05:19 PM   #6
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Gotta go with Glath, pretty damn entertaining album all the way through, all the guests here do a nice job. Jose James sounds fucking great (I would literally KILL for a duet with him and Ringo in the future) on "Summer Love". Overall though, Bon Bon Villa and Hey Tagger, I'm Here are my personal (non-Ringo) favorites and Assassins Assassin DEATH JAZZ ver. is infinitely better. Well worth your money.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.08.11 at 09:48 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.14, 10:59 AM   #7
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Have to say this is too 70's for my liking, I won't be listening to another SAPS song without Ringo on vocals.

1 ジャズィ・カンヴァセイション: jazzy Mabaroshi 3/5
2 殺し屋危機一髪: Shiina Ringo 5/5
2 Summer Love: Laid-back song with pseudo-soulful vocals in English, too corny 2/5
4.Bon Bon Villa: enjoyable 70's jazz 4/5
5 Light Blue Soldier: starts off pretty funky but soon gets tedious 3/5
6.Iceburn: you can put this on Towa Tei's album 3/5
7 Ananta: trippy Arabian music 3/5
8 記憶の旅: interesting, but I don't have time for this 3/5
9 Frog in the World!: same as "Summer Love" 1/5
10 Hey Tagger, I'm Here: doo-wop jazz-pop, can't stand Bonnie Pink's vocals 2/5
11 殺し屋危機一髪 (DEATH JAZZ ver.): Shiina Ringo 5/5

Last edited by Inseu : 2013.08.14 at 01:30 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.14, 03:09 PM   #8
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I prefer the original version of Assassin's Assassin. Sure, Death Jazz ver. sounds more sophisticated instrumentally, but now the vocal melody sounds much weaker and just 'there.'
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.15, 10:12 PM   #9
deadgrandma

I think this album is probably even better than I originally thought... it's got me in it hooks. AOTY potential? Maybe not... In the top 10 albums of the year for me?... most definitely.

I wouldn't feel over-generous giving it a score of at least 8/10.

Seriously, if you haven't given it a spin yet, what the hell are you waiting for?

Also... Inseu, I gotta question anyone's hearing if they "can't stand Bonnie Pink's vocals"... what the hell? She might not always have fantastic songs, but her voice is always something I've found her best feature/always soothing and sexy :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.08.15 at 10:20 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.09.18, 04:42 PM   #10
deadgrandma

Anyone seeing the SAPS/Ringo show (its like this Sat)?