Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.09.27, 12:38 PM   #141
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

because many posters use the "I dont like it, but i dont hate it, so ill post positive" kind of logic. I mean, this is a Shiina forum. If yer in the middle you tend to "give the benefit of the doubt" to Shiina. While thats ok and I don't think less of those I also dont think its such a great honest sampling
Old 2007.09.27, 12:49 PM   #142
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
because many posters use the "I dont like it, but i dont hate it, so ill post positive" kind of logic. I mean, this is a Shiina forum. If yer in the middle you tend to "give the benefit of the doubt" to Shiina. While thats ok and I don't think less of those I also dont think its such a great honest sampling
Yeah, I agree but that does not explain all the people that loved it and I'm sure everyone who just liked it did not just say that to not be negative. Also, since this is a Ringo forum like you mentioned, who cares if other people won't give it a benefit of the doubt? It's about what the fans think. Also, I think the options I made were fair enough to get a good litmus test of the situation. If it was either Love it or Hate it like Op jokingly suggested, THEN it would be unfair and lop-sided because most people who did not like it too much but did not hate it would probably vote that they loved it and give us a bad view of what people think of the album.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.27, 12:50 PM   #143
Zzarkk

Zzarkk pleased at least somebody

I think I like this album more than Adult...
I do wish there was at least one SR-written track, but it's much better than what I was expecting from the previews.
Zzarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.27, 02:57 PM   #144
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

What are Uki's background vocals in Tsukigime-hime? I am pretty sure it is in French, and I should probably know what it is, you know, being Canadian and therefore being forced to take the language throughout school.

Is it "la princesse"?
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.27, 03:00 PM   #145
HEDOfloe

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what he says too.
Old 2007.09.27, 04:25 PM   #146
Akagaminosteven

Akagaminosteven is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by makenshiww View Post
can anyone tell me what Kingyo no Hako means... not the whole song .. just the translation of the title
You could either translate it literally as "Box of Goldfish", "Goldfish Box", "Goldfish Container", etc., but in general I would just say "Goldfish Bowl" or something to that effect. I've yet to actually read through the lyrics and translate, but that's what I would say for the moment. When you play that weird Goldfish catching game at matsuri (Japanese festivals), the goldfish swim in a box...but somehow I doubt that's what she's referring to.
Akagaminosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.27, 04:40 PM   #147
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

thx. lots. and welcome to the forumm.. btw
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.27, 04:53 PM   #148
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Zzarkk View Post
I think I like this album more than Adult...
And I wished that Adult was more like Kyouiku.

Seriously! We know you are versatile Tokyo Jihen but must you change styles ALL THE TIME? It's becoming schizophrenic! No one's gonna believe that Kyouiku, Adult and Variety came from the same band. There has to be the balance between personal style and versatility somewhere and TJ is way out of that continuum.
Old 2007.09.27, 05:19 PM   #149
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post

Seriously! We know you are versatile Tokyo Jihen but must you change styles ALL THE TIME? It's becoming schizophrenic! No one's gonna believe that Kyouiku, Adult and Variety came from the same band. There has to be the balance between personal style and versatility somewhere and TJ is way out of that continuum.
Ohhhh man no. All of my favourite artists have this so-called "schizophrenic" shift of style from album to album... which is why I love them. Björk goes from harps and choirs and music boxes to vocals-only beatboxing type to world music fusion. David Bowie was a perfect chameleon, of course. PJ Harvey, instead of doing the gritty blues-punk she's known for, has, in her most recent album "White Chalk," done an entirely guitar-free, ghostly piano driven of Victorian-esque chamber music and sang it all in a breathy soprano—and it might be her best album yet. Some of Neil Young's best work was when he went electro for his album "Trans" and processed all of his vocals through a vocoder. Even Radiohead—most people, hearing the albums for the first time, would never even imagine The Bends and Amnesiac were the work of the same artist.

There are two kinds of great artists, I think—the ones who, album to album, refine and expand and refine and expand and expand and refine. And the ones who, while still refining and expanding their sound, do so by completely reinventing themselves every album or every other album. I much prefer the latter, though Shiina Ringo's solo work is of course a brilliant example of the former.
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.27, 05:32 PM   #150
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post

I do not mind this variety from album to album, but now I think they've reached a point where they have to stay on something (as they have alluded to) or just mix all they've learned with these 3 albums and give us what Tokyo Jihen will be remembered as. I think ADULT and Variety are pretty TJ, as in I could probably feel like it was TJ by just hearing instrumentals of it. As much as I enjoy Variety, I'm REALLY excited about what they will do next. Just the fact that Ringo was questioning it makes me think that they will have something very interesting. Imagine a mix of Kyouiku and ADULT @_@. I think they are capable of blending those two styles flawlessly.