Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.08.07, 09:15 PM   #841
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

today sth odd happened. I was feeling like nostalgic and started searching for old songs I liked, so I thought of Corrector Yui (anime) and watched a video of the opening on youtube called "tori ni naru toki" by satsuki ... and I heard the accordions once again and thought: wow, they remind me of bonsaihada" (not cause they were really identical.. just cause they were .. ACCORDIONS LOL) and then I stared at the credits of it, and W00T!!! music/lyrics: satsuki / arranger: coba!!! now I like him moar!

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.10, 05:18 AM   #842
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I love this opening too °o°

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 06:44 AM   #843
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

Just heard "Ryuukou" in a perfect setting... an ultra-hip cafe/bar in Shibuya, everyone ridiculously good-looking and under 25, tons of TV screens all playing the Ryuukou video. It was awesome.

The only other times I've heard SR in Japan in the last seven weeks were while shopping in Harajuku (Ariamaru Tomi) and eating delicious delicious kimchi ramen at a local joint (Gibusu).
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 10:51 AM   #844
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

hehe, While I was there all I heard was Ariamaru Tomi, and at this small electronics store they were played a small compilation of her songs which I found amusing.

I bet that setting for Ryuukou hit it off for ya though.
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 11:03 AM   #845
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I was away from my computer last week and didn't have the opportunity to enter in to the latest discussion, and thereby will mention a couple of things now, even though I suspect that people's attention has moved on to other topics. I am an album listener. I almost play everything from start to finish, unless I find one song really intolerable. I suspect that this is partially because of the media of my youth. Skipping tracks on an LP was an annoying task, and cassettes were exponentially more annoying. I also don't have a media player, currently remaining content with my "old" high end Sony CD Walkman. I do most of my serious listening while taking long walks, and I have one CD in the Sony, and that is the only thing I am going to listen to. I actually enjoy this, as I have the opportunity to really concentrate on the CD that I choose to put in my player. On Sunday I listened to SG three times in a row.

I like the entire album, but find that I am never fully engaged until Zero comes on. I just love the subtle complexity of that song. The first three songs are fine, but rather two dimensional, especially Mittei Monogatari. Zero has space and depth, and there is a lot of clever production, with each instrument having a distinct aural "personality". I especially like how the vocals ping pong and build in the far left and right areas of the soundfield from 2:30 onwards. I won't go into further detail right now about SG, except to say that Shun is truly wonderful, and that I really like MaruSad. Sometimes I repeat it twice or three times. Perhaps I like rich vocal harmonies more than most, or appreciate excellent production values because of my career in recording studios, but for whatever reason it just hits the spot.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.11, 11:13 AM   #846
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
[...]I just love the subtle complexity of that song. [...]Zero has space and depth, and there is a lot of clever production, with each instrument having a distinct aural "personality". I especially like how the vocals ping pong and build in the far left and right areas of the soundfield from 2:30 onwards
Yes! Zero is unique on the album as it allows you to soak in everything at once. There's no wah-wah guitars or bombastic vocals pulling your attention away from anything else in the song. Love it.
Old 2009.08.11, 11:44 AM   #847
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I can't articulate my liking of particular songs as well as Teslaguy, but I'd like to say that Shun works for me because it has Ringo's typical scratchy, whiny voice, but it kind of 'bleeds' or 'breaks' into a rich quality during the chorus. The contrast/unbalance is terrific, and contributes a kind of uniqueness to the song.

(She also kind of does that in Honnou, but it's more balanced there)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.12, 03:32 AM   #848
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

I just discovered a slightly awkward edit in one of the songs. If you haven't heard it yourself, I advise against highlighting the location, as it is subtle enough to probably not be obvious to the untrained ear, and once you hear it you will notice it every time. But if you are the kind of fan who wants to know everything, the location is revealed below.

Obfuscatiion 4:79 Shun at 3:43 Obfuscation 6:95

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.08.12 at 03:36 AM.
Old 2009.08.12, 05:46 PM   #849
pariscombo

pariscombo deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
I just discovered a slightly awkward edit in one of the songs. If you haven't heard it yourself, I advise against highlighting the location, as it is subtle enough to probably not be obvious to the untrained ear, and once you hear it you will notice it every time. But if you are the kind of fan who wants to know everything, the location is revealed below.

Obfuscatiion 4:79 Shun at 3:43 Obfuscation 6:95
I can't find a slightly awkward edit even if I read the location you posted. A good luck for me, maybe.
Old 2009.08.12, 06:11 PM   #850
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

Yes, lucky you. It sticks out like a sore thumb to me now. I'm pretty certain that they didn't just edit one instrument but instead edited the final mix, as the ambience subtly shifts at that point. Not that I'm complaining. Editing is occasionally part of creating a finished work. Sometimes you get lucky and the edits are imperceptible, and sometimes you don't.