Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.03.15, 02:56 AM   #91
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I find if I put headphones on a cat, the cat leaves the room.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.15, 03:18 AM   #92
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

What are you doing, cat?
Take off those headphones.
You don't even listen to me sing in the shower
Let alone listen to music.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.21, 02:07 AM   #93
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Maybe you sing too high pitched. Cats don't like that. Sing in a deep voice.

Cats and Music: Feline Reactions to Musical Styles and Instruments

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.21, 05:06 AM   #94
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

^ My favorite part of that article:
Many cats find loud music upsetting, but this is true of other animals as well. A study in which mice were subjected to heavy metal music blasted around the clock to gauge music’s effects on learning had to be cut short when the mice all killed one another. However, many cats are also averse to high-pitched instruments even when the music is not played loudly. One extreme case has been recorded of a cat that would actually go into convulsions in response to certain notes.

Some cats appear to have particularly extreme musical aversions. The Mini-Annals of Improbable Research (a free newsletter featuring strange research studies, inventions, and discoveries) outlines a case study of a cat that reacted hysterically to the theme music for Star Trek, and showed signs of paranoia for some time even after the music had stopped.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.03, 06:45 AM   #95
W3iHong

I bought Audio Technica AD-700 last weekend.

Rock and jazz sounds cleaner and clearer. Pop and dance music sounds muted due to lack of bass.

Classical or orchestral music is the thing that really shines on the AD-700. The sound stage is extremely wide. Sometimes I feel I am in the concert hall, listening to the music live.

But, with great power, there will be some sadness. Live concerts will be spoiled by audible coughs...
Old 2012.09.09, 10:41 AM   #96
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

So I use a Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox and I've gotten annoyed with the battery life. The player is great but it is a shor tbattery (which I knew when I bought it).

Apparently though it has a very efficient encoder for FLAC and Ogg files, so using FLAC/Ogg actually increases the battery life.

Most of my music is in MP3 LAME V0, some in AAC from iTunes.

I know FLAC uses up way more storage, so that's out. But I know next to nothing about Ogg. Would it be a viable alternative to convert my music into Ogg? What is the highest quality of Ogg files? How does size/quality ratio compare to MP3? Sorry for asking questions like these again.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.09, 11:20 AM   #97
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
lack of bass.
That might be terrible when it comes to Shiina Ringo.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.09, 04:51 PM   #98
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
So I use a Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox and I've gotten annoyed with the battery life. The player is great but it is a shor tbattery (which I knew when I bought it).

Apparently though it has a very efficient encoder for FLAC and Ogg files, so using FLAC/Ogg actually increases the battery life.

Most of my music is in MP3 LAME V0, some in AAC from iTunes.

I know FLAC uses up way more storage, so that's out. But I know next to nothing about Ogg. Would it be a viable alternative to convert my music into Ogg? What is the highest quality of Ogg files? How does size/quality ratio compare to MP3? Sorry for asking questions like these again.
Reading a file without even processing it - just reading it, already drains battery. The cheaper the storage is, relative to the number of GBs it can hold - the more that reading generally drains. Thus switching from HDD storage to flash storage isn't the only possible jump, but there are different grades of flash storage as well. The faster the flash storage, the less it drains your battery for music playback, but the more expensive that storage will be (per GB).

On HDD-based players (such as the iPod Classic), the reading drains more battery than the processing. On flash-based players, the reading itself drains hardly any battery at all, but the processing becomes the main drainer. The more compressed the music is, the more processing it takes to play, and the more battery it drains. FLAC -8 is more compressed than FLAC -0, therefore FLAC -8 can drain more battery. The older the player is, the more inefficient its processor is bound to be, which means the older player drains more battery than a newer player - to process the same compression level of content off the same kind of storage. If WAV files were taggable in a way that portable players could somehow understand, that would be the lowest processing cost of all, because there'd be nothing to decompress during playback.

So best case scenario with CD quality battery life:
the player's processing chip is fairly new and efficient
the storage is some higher-grade of flash (preferably removable)
the lossless uses as little compression as possible, such as FLAC -0

MP3s are cheap to read and cheap to process, but they're not the best-sounding lossy.

An Ogg file averaging near 320kbps (from the q9 setting) will sound more like the source than any MP3 ever will, but I think Ogg Vorbis also costs more to process than any MP3 of the same size. It's really about how much audible detail you're carrying, per MB. So if storage is very limited, Ogg Vorbis is the most efficient use of that storage. But it might not be the most efficient use of your player's processor. Ogg Vorbis has higher "quality" settings which can push the bitrate toward 500kbps, but then you might as well carry lossless instead. On some players, high quality Ogg Vorbis can drain more battery than FLAC.

You'll just have to experiment to figure out what you can get away with. With fast enough flash storage and a new enough processor, some people (with other players) can get over 15 hours of CD quality playback on a single charge, but that's never going to be better than whatever battery life you'd get with MP3s on the same player. So if the official webpage for your player vaguely says "15 hours" without talking about codecs or bitrates, that's probably going to be with MP3, and any other format would be lower in battery life.
Old 2012.09.10, 07:23 PM   #99
W3iHong

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
That might be terrible when it comes to Shiina Ringo.
Yeah, you can clearly hear the bass due to the sound stage but it really lacks the oomph. Sick bass lines doesn't have that feel now.
Old 2012.09.28, 03:56 PM   #100
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

So what's everyone's favorite custom EQ settings?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote