Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.07.08, 01:05 PM   #601
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Which translations? I haven't made that many for SG yet. @_@

And MBF--she didn't drop out? I was just rereading parts of the unauthorized biography, and it said she withdrew from school after her second year of high school (so she had one more year to go) and then started working. Did she go back at some point?

wait... really???

I was completely sure, I had read her talking about her high school time and something about her graduation.

maybe i totally got that wrong... If so, I'm really sorry for spreading false information !! o_o

Last edited by MBF : 2009.07.08 at 02:31 PM.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 02:23 PM   #602
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by isxahopas View Post
Her face looks absolutely mummy-d ified in this.
Pun intended?

Also, did they use the same footage of her walking the catwalk twice? I've only watched the PV once so far, so I could be wrong. I was really looking foward to a much more exciting PV.

But maybe it's supposed to look like a typical j-pop PV, and be sort of like a hommage/mockery of them? If so, the attempt failed.
Old 2009.07.08, 02:45 PM   #603
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the video is described on EMI's website as overflowing with "mode," being in the fashion, being stylish, with Ringo deciding to strut her stuff down a catwalk and pose, etc. The name of the song is Vogue. What more do you want? You can call it shallow but the point was never to be anything more than "cool." Personally, I think the entire video looks great top to bottom. Whoever complained about the budget should keep their trap shut. Adult Video for the most part looked like it was self-made and this is miles far and above that. Besides, does it really matter anyways? This video, when you don't take into account the the amount it would take to chop a car in half, probably costs twice as much as Tsumi to Batsu. Even her classic videos like Honnou and Kabuki-chou no Jou, most of her PV's don't utilize man-made sets, they are in largely sparse soundstages or on location. The amount it would take to provide that many LCD screens along a run way in a space that size with the set and the make-up and costume easily outsizes the majority of Ringo's previous PV's, probably Shun and Ariamaru Tomi combined.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 03:23 PM   #604
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

that dress is not doing good things to her boobs....
Old 2009.07.08, 03:49 PM   #605
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
that dress is not doing good things to her boobs....
Oh yes it is *¬*.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 04:37 PM   #606
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by MBF View Post
wait... really???

I was completely sure, I had read her talking about her high school time and something about her graduation.

maybe i totally got that wrong... If so, I'm really sorry for spreading false information !! o_o
Yeah, try and find where you read that if you can, but I just looked on wikipedia as well and it appears that right after she dropped out is when her music career started to take off and she got signed, so it doesn't look like she ever had a chance to go back and finish high school.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 07:33 PM   #607
s3r3nity

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
the video is described on EMI's website as overflowing with "mode," being in the fashion, being stylish, with Ringo deciding to strut her stuff down a catwalk and pose, etc. The name of the song is Vogue. What more do you want? You can call it shallow but the point was never to be anything more than "cool."
I don't know about the rest of the lyrics, but in the English bit at least, it seems like she's condemning things/people that are in vogue or cool, and saying that she would rather define her own vogue. If that hadn't been in English, I would agree that the song and the video fit perfectly together. I would still think it's boring, but more appropriately boring.
I just find it weird that she's singing "You crave the kisses of idol love, and I shed a tear from one blind eye" while at the same time walking down the catwalk like an idol/model. That's why I thought the video was possibly trying to be ironic.
Annnd of course it's possible I'm totally misinterpreting.
Old 2009.07.08, 10:02 PM   #608
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the japanese lyrics aren't from that same viewpoint. in it she says things like "the woman in me doesn't need individuality" and mummy-d raps about creating his own woman while ringo sings and plays the part of an obedient little doll. the breakdown part in English is Ringo delivering the concise soul of the song, while the rest is presented more as satire. the video makes sense from this part of the song. Also, I don't think fashion goes hand in hand with shallowness and all the things that are being addressed here. I think overall the entire song, lyrics to music, is just slick and fashion-forward (no pun intended), the video is a spin on this concept of "vogue." watching Ringo sing these lyrics while strutting down a catwalk to videos of herself is in her way her own idea of style or vogue, etc. she is just redesigning it for her style.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.08, 10:31 PM   #609
s3r3nity

My mistake about the lyrics then,totally not what I expected. I'll wait to see frecklegirl's translation before I form a further opinion. Your analysis does make sense though.
Old 2009.07.09, 04:03 AM   #610
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

its funny quite alot of people have not been liking the pv. I showed the video to my japanese friend and she liked the song.. she even replayed it lol.

I think shes got something good with the idea and concept shes going with her music nowadays. I think its her being classy
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote