Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.03.01, 05:27 PM   #11
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

Never really got the whole hub-bub about people getting cosmetic surgery. What's the big deal? It's like getting braces, a new shirt, new decorations for the house, etc. I don't think people think they really need them; they're just things people get to please their own vanity.
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.01, 05:30 PM   #12
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Its not at all like gettin a shirt, or even braces (tho thats a little more relevant than clothes and furnishings.)

I'll be honest, I'm a little disturbed by the amount of pro-cosmetic surgery sentiment here...most so when it concerns someone with so much natural beauty
Old 2008.03.01, 05:44 PM   #13
imkookoo

It's very much the same thing when you think about the underlying reason why cosmetic surgery is such a taboo. They're all stuff you'd find at the Vanity Fair.

It's not being "pro-cosmetic surgery" more than it's being not "anti-cosmetic surgery". People can spend their money on whatever they want. I mean, if she really is doing it cause she thinks she's the ugliest duckling in the world, then I'm against it.. cause cosmetic surgery shouldn't be performed to try to fix one's own self-confidence. But I don't feel all people who want to get cosmetic surgery are self-conscious.

EDIT:
Just wanted to add.. which is why I think it's like getting clothes, braces, etc. Same thing goes for those... people shouldn't get material things to fix their problems. It's only a temporary fix. But fact is, getting those things does provide people with an uplifting spirit/excitement. People get bored, and getting those things -- clothes, cosmetic surgery, etc -- gives them that excitement.. which I think is fine. If it's for the excitement, it's ok. If it's to fix personal issues, then no.

Last edited by imkookoo : 2008.03.01 at 05:52 PM.
Old 2008.03.01, 05:48 PM   #14
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Say you marry the love of your life. You thought they were beautiful/handsome/adorable even if they weren't as confident asyou were. One day they show up with fat lips, or a new nose, a stretched face, or fake tits, or whatever.

Wouldn't you be upset? Or want the face you're used to back? (or the tits youre used to, i guess..)

Have you seen Meg Ryan? Holy hell. There was nothing wrong with her at all! I know age makes ladies go whacko, but it really shouldn't.

Its ok sometimes I suppose. Micheal Jackson was fine with his first new nose. But if someones beautiful a naturale, don't fuck with it.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2008.03.01 at 05:53 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.01, 06:07 PM   #15
imkookoo

I'm looking at her old pictures... she's always had pretty large lips. So maybe it is just the lip-gloss (or if she had it, it's been a long time ago).
Old 2008.03.01, 06:22 PM   #16
imkookoo

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Say you marry the love of your life. You thought they were beautiful/handsome/adorable even if they weren't as confident asyou were. One day they show up with fat lips, or a new nose, a stretched face, or fake tits, or whatever.

Wouldn't you be upset? Or want the face you're used to back? (or the tits youre used to, i guess..)

Have you seen Meg Ryan? Holy hell. There was nothing wrong with her at all! I know age makes ladies go whacko, but it really shouldn't.

Its ok sometimes I suppose. Micheal Jackson was fine with his first new nose. But if someones beautiful a naturale, don't fuck with it.
I wouldn't really be upset or look at them as any less of a human being. And I wouldn't encourage them to do it either. I wish everybody could be happy with how they are.

"Every one has a flaw, so all of you buckteeth women out there, don't worry. There is a man somewhere who likes a women that can bite an apple thru a picket fence"
- Adelle Givens

EDIT:
But I say if they want it enough, even after they know the dangers involved and know that the cosmetic surgery won't fix any of their confidence issues, I won't discourage them.
Old 2008.03.01, 06:57 PM   #17
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I think her lips are sexy, regardless of whether she had cosmetic surgery or not. ;D
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.01, 07:59 PM   #18
RollOverHobo

RollOverHobo pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by imkookoo View Post
It's like getting braces, a new shirt, new decorations for the house, etc. I don't think people think they really need them; they're just things people get to please their own vanity.
*OFFTOPIC* Actually you get braces to make it easier to brush so you don't fuck up your teeth. It just happens that vanity is another one of the perks.....I don't know just thought I'd point it out *OFFTOPIC*
RollOverHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.01, 08:28 PM   #19
imkookoo

Originally Posted by RollOverHobo View Post
*OFFTOPIC* Actually you get braces to make it easier to brush so you don't fuck up your teeth. It just happens that vanity is another one of the perks.....I don't know just thought I'd point it out *OFFTOPIC*
It's an opinion, but I think it's more the other way around.. people get braces more for looks than because of hygiene. The hygiene reason is just the cover-up reason so people don't feel so bad on spending thousands of dollars just for looks (and also gives a good excuse so that insurance can pay for it). Cause as long as you brush your teeth and floss, crooked teeth aren't going to make you that much more at risk of getting cavities.

But who knows, I could be wrong. Anyway, take away the "getting braces" example then. There's many other more socially-acceptable permanent cosmetic procedures that are more for vanity which can put people's health at risk... people who take Accutane or other meds to get rid of pimples, piercings, tattoos, and even bleaching/dying hair.

Point is, that's how I view cosmetic surgery. People have the right to do whatever they want with their own bodies, without getting patronized for it.

I mean, it's another thing if after their cosmetic surgery they look bad -- e.g. Michael Jackson. Then that's just bad taste and people have the right to make fun. (:
Old 2008.03.01, 08:56 PM   #20
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

who care is ringo put collagen up her kootch...oh, I mean lips

as long as she doesn't have mid-life crisis and start dressing shibuya-kei...oh wait, I think that already happened.

ringo is fine the way she is but if she wants to spend money to pump nasty shit into her lips then so be it, collagen is all the rage right now in Japan but I don't think that many people actually get plastic surgery as much as they take suppliments or collagen parfaits O.o

and there is also the possibility that she has allergy or they puff up her lips for videos by use of special make ups and lip balms/glosses, etc etc. She might also pout for the camera. Who knows? I guess until you see her in action real life its hard to say.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote