Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.02.12, 07:30 PM   #9021
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Yeah but it's a dude singing like a girl.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.13, 05:11 AM   #9022
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Yeah but it's a dude singing like a girl.
No. It's just a dude who can't and doesn't know how to sing.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.13, 05:41 AM   #9023
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Like Mariko Goto, I'm pretty sure he knows how to sing but screams like that on purpose. Because it's more punk?
Doesn't mean I have to like it though. Midori's scream-iest songs are my least favorite, for example.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.13, 08:58 AM   #9024
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I was not expecting Luna Sea to be recommended. TBH I always grouped them in with the other visual-kei bands that care more about their makeup and clothes than their music.
Ha, you know what they say about judging a book by its cover. If you go in with that mindset, you'll be blown away by their epics like Genesis of Mind, Mother, Virgin Mary and RA-SE-N.

Luna Sea fact: they initially disbanded because lead guitarist Sugizo was a perfectionist and cared too much about the music.

I can't find any info on Makino Takuma.
I can probably remedy that if you'd like.

I was a big fan of m-flo's "loves" series but holy crap their pre-loves albums are fantastic. I love the blend of dance music, jazz, and hip-hop. They certainly feel VERY 90's, but that's oK.
Lisa made m-flo for me. She brought so much to each song and could never be replaced. Especially not by people who are good in their own right, but not full-time members of the group.

Miss Monday is interesting. She has a very Western flow and look, I wonder if she's biracial or grew up outside Japan? I'll have to give her music a deeper listen, the stuff I have heard sounds too "pop".
I think that goes for a lot of Japanese hip-hop. It's decidedly more pop. Let's face it, we're never going to see a Japanese Wu-Tang or Bone Thugs for obvious reasons.
Old 2014.02.13, 11:15 AM   #9025
FadedSun

9mm Parabellum Bullet are definitely one of the better Japanese rock bands. They never fail to get me pumped up.

Arechi

Discommunication
Old 2014.02.13, 11:22 AM   #9026
FadedSun

Just found out about this band by association and they sound pretty good, too. Digging that they have a female bass player who also does backing vocals. The lead vocals might be an acquired taste. They're very high pitched, kind of like The Mars Volta or something.

想像のSecurity
Old 2014.02.13, 11:30 AM   #9027
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Sakanaction, Polysics, Ling tosite sigure, all have female bass players. I feel like this is some kind of trend, there are probably more.

I'm familiar with btoh of those bands, I love how fast-paced they are. They are great workout bands.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.13, 12:10 PM   #9028
FadedSun

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Sakanaction, Polysics, Ling tosite sigure, all have female bass players. I feel like this is some kind of trend, there are probably more.

I'm familiar with btoh of those bands, I love how fast-paced they are. They are great workout bands.
Oh, I wasn't saying it like I was surprised that they had one. I wouldn't say it's a trend. Japan in general has way more female musicians playing in rock bands compared to America. Whether it's bass players, singers, guitarists or drummers - or all female bands. You will rarely see female bass players in rock bands over here. The only three I can think of off the top of my head are The Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins and A Perfect Circle. Ever more rare are all female bands and ever if there are, it's not like they'll be playing music I want to listen to.

I remember arguing with a guy who was criticizing Mass of the Fermenting Dregs for being an ugly female band with jangly guitars and bad hairstyles. Then he showed me an all female metal band from America that was incredibly generic sounding and I thought....okay dude.

Last edited by FadedSun : 2014.02.13 at 12:18 PM.
Old 2014.02.13, 12:21 PM   #9029
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Oh, I wasn't saying it like I was surprised that they had one. I wouldn't say it's a trend. Japan in general has way more female musicians playing in rock bands compared to America. Whether it's bass players, singers, guitarists or drummers - or all female bands. You will rarely see female bass players in rock bands over here. The only three I can think of off the top of my head are The Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins and A Perfect Circle. Ever more rare are all female bands and ever if there are, it's not like they'll be playing music I want to listen to.
Er... Varuca Salt, My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, Silversun Pickups, Auf der Maur, The Breeders, Gail Ann Dorsey... It's not too rare. Well, I guess if you expand "America" to mean "not Japan". : /

The Raveonettes - That Great Love Sound

Last edited by Maou : 2014.02.13 at 12:27 PM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.13, 12:50 PM   #9030
FadedSun

Huh. I didn't know My Bloody Valentine had a female bass player. I guess I never cared to figure out who was in that band Still, on average, I think there are more female rock bands in Japan at this current time. Tricot are an anomaly - you don't usually see an all female math-rock/indie band. Cool stuff.

FliP are a pretty good all-female band.

Laila