Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.08.20, 10:43 AM   #271
freackled

freackled is headed in the right direction
Default moved from "Killer Tune thread"

I love these b-side previews, especially Karada! Some old school RnB sounds nice to me
freackled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.21, 07:27 PM   #272
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

So I finally have my promo CD, the one I bought a month ago, and here are my quick impressions after having heard the music in lossless for the first time.

1.) Killer Tune
Ringo's voice sounds dry as usual, though that's part of what gives it the edge.
Ukigumo's new guitar is a welcome change. Very articulate playing with a much more pleasant tone. As people have said before, Hata's participation is nothing extraordinary this time.

2.) B.B. Queen
The distortion effects on the voice and guitar are similar, but as the track moves forward, Shiina Ringo's voice are no longer distorted, though the guitar continues to be.
Keyboard/organ is mostly drowned out during the first half, and acts as a good supplement (but never quite takes over) later in the song.
There's additional (and extra-distorted) vocals coming from somebody other Ringo, but I'm not sure who.

This track will get more replays from me than OSCA, but hardly because of the guitar work (which I'm not saying was great or bad - for awhile it was there more to make noise than do anything else - but that works in the context of this track). This song is very gritty and a refreshing change for Phase 2, but for all I know, there might be nothing like it in Variety.

3.) Karada
More back-up vocals, but this time it sounds like it's from two males instead of one (or the same male recorded twice - I'm not sure yet). This time the backup vocals are more fitting. Love the organ-playing off in the corner. Ukgumo's playing is a decent fit for the song. Shiina Ringo's English is getting better. Though I still don't pay attention to entire sentences or the 'meaning', it sounds barely (if at all) forced this time. I'd say the flow of the English was almost as good as Bonnie Pink's delivery. You compare this vocal attitude to Kaban no Nakami and you'll find that Shiina Ringo has much better control of her accentuation (these days) when she's not raising her voice.

Karada doesn't trump Kokoro for me, but definitely exceeded my expectations.

Overall, this single has a very good set of tracks and I wouldn't really say there are any weak links. Arguably it's not as epic as Mayonaka wa Junketsu or KYNK, but these singles are really all very different vixens.

I can't comment about packaging until I have my retail copy in the next day or two.
Old 2007.08.21, 08:35 PM   #273
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

someone .. has a goood ear for music . ^, hope tooo see for myself soon

maybe ill get to hear it soon??? >.< ,, leaked yet XD
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.22, 01:08 AM   #274
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I still don't have a retail copy in my hands yet, but found pictures from other people selling copies on Yahoo! Japan Auctions.
Old 2007.08.22, 01:11 AM   #275
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

BB.QUEEN.
Why did the first 45 seconds sound nothing like the rest of the song? The instrumental break at 1:05 was cool. That was about it. This is arguably the worst Tokyo Jihen song ever created. The background vocals rape this already impure, vile creation. This sounds like it was recorded inside of a tin can.

My ears literally hurt after listening to the track.

Karada could be described as the worst 3:58 of Shiina's career. However, the song is at least a mediocre b-side.

Final thoughts:
What the fuck.
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.22, 02:15 AM   #276
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Op2 View Post
BB.QUEEN.
Why did the first 45 seconds sound nothing like the rest of the song? The instrumental break at 1:05 was cool. That was about it. This is arguably the worst Tokyo Jihen song ever created. The background vocals rape this already impure, vile creation. This sounds like it was recorded inside of a tin can.

My ears literally hurt after listening to the track.

Karada could be described as the worst 3:58 of Shiina's career. However, the song is at least a mediocre b-side.

Final thoughts:
What the fuck.
Sounds kewl!
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.22, 02:31 AM   #277
Ananda

Ananda pleased at least somebody

Killer Tune is not that bad. It's much better than OSCA which were so boring.

However, I'm still worrying about what Variety will be.

BTW Killer Tune debutes @ #05 in Oricon.
Old 2007.08.22, 03:28 AM   #278
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

hey guys, killer tune is out.
Old 2007.08.22, 04:14 AM   #279
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

BB.QUEEN = *THUMBS UP!*
Karada = *THUMBS DOWN!*

And, no! I cannot elaborate any further!
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.22, 04:26 AM   #280
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I feel as if all Jihen member came out of my speakers and kicked me around until the two songs were over. While Karada they were a bit more gentle, but they didn't stop kicking

And always singing "Modern Talking" isn't a good idea if a german is listening.
For me this is Modern Talking:

Modern Talking - You're my heart, you're my soul

The guy on the right is still very famous and in many many TV shows (he's one of the judges in the german version of American Idol and I can't stand him). So I somehow don't like the words Modern Talking

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2007.08.22 at 04:34 AM.
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote