Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.08.05, 02:48 PM   #821
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

^ exactly. it isn't that I don't care about the music, I do (Identity was the first Ringo song I heard and the screechy rock out vocals were what drew me in), but with Ringo when we talk about why and how she changed the industry it is in terms of a persona and image over a musical standard. That is, however, with her debut. No one knew when she was debuting she would come out of left field with KZK, that album if anything just ensured her continuing legacy. Her label thought it was over with SS, they had even intended on issuing a best of compilation album, but Ringo refused. Eventually KZK came out of the process and it insured Ringo's long term standing. Her adapting to R&B and now experimenting with current industry standards, such as rap, is further proof of her versatility and longterm industry potential.

Jihad, the Tori comparison is completely valid, so your post doesn't make much sense. Tori has never been on such compilation and if you want to mock someone who has reached thousands, was the youngest member ever admitted (at age 5) with a full scholarship to the Peabody Conservatory of Music, and was a founder of the first and largest anti-sexual assault organization in the United States, the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network, go ahead, your actions speak for themselves.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.08.05 at 02:56 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.05, 03:23 PM   #822
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
it isn't that I don't care about the music, I do (Identity was the first Ringo song I heard and the screechy rock out vocals were what drew me in), but with Ringo when we talk about why and how she changed the industry it is in terms of a persona and image over a musical standard. That is, however, with her debut. No one knew when she was debuting she would come out of left field with KZK, that album if anything just ensured her continuing legacy. Her label thought it was over with SS, they had even intended on issuing a best of compilation album, but Ringo refused. Eventually KZK came out of the process and it insured Ringo's long term standing. Her adapting to R&B and now experimenting with current industry standards, such as rap, is further proof of her versatility and longterm industry potential.
Well, then speak for yourself. If you can't hear the rich compositional appeal of the material before KZK as well as afterwards then it's your loss. A lot of us don't come via the Madonna route mizer describes, so if you're doing down the music, don't act shocked when someone takes issue with you on it. Or say "IMO" or something. And she's always had a contemporary RnB influence. A lot of the early demos are RnB.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.05, 03:34 PM   #823
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Well, then speak for yourself. If you can't hear the rich compositional appeal of the material before KZK as well as afterwards then it's your loss. A lot of us don't come via the Madonna route mizer describes, so if you're doing down the music, don't act shocked when someone takes issue with you on it. Or say "IMO" or something. And she's always had a contemporary RnB influence. A lot of the early demos are RnB.
"we" is figurative, I don't literally mean you and myself. Anything else sounds awkward. And I CAN hear the appeal, hence why I was a fan BEFORE SS was released. This wasn't a discussion of how we came to enjoy Ringo, it was someone asking me how Ringo changed *the music industry in Japan.* It has nothing to do you with, or with me, for that matter. This is about why Ringo is a household name in Japan, not why you or me or anyone else came to like or know her name. Why do we know Ringo and not Jun Tokugawa? That is what I was attempting to answer, and I only brought it up because another member asked, so you should chill out.

Ringo's early demos have a slight RnB appeal but guess what, those aren't and have NEVER been made public. Every person who has them or listens to them is listening to private recordings that were obtained through private (perhaps even stolen) channels. From the public's eye, Ringo had never experimented heavily with R&B until later in her career. It doesn't matter what her early demos were. The mainstream industry doesn't know about them and when they see Ringo crooning on an R&B track next to half of a rap unit, it is going to come as a surprise. Maybe not to us, but to them. To reiterate, this was never a discussion about us, it was a discussion from the perspective of the public mainstream market in Japan, so stop getting your knicker's in a twist, oi.
Old 2009.08.05, 04:30 PM   #824
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

All I'm saying is that Tori freaking Amos is a stretch of a compasrison to Shiina, and all the things you listed illustrate my point -- though it's totally funny she's part of an Anti-incest network.

And if you give me a bit, I'll totally find that compilation. I saw the commercial all the time in middle school.
Old 2009.08.05, 08:25 PM   #825
kuro_neko

what so funny about working to help sexually abused men and women? its just about as funny as an organization working with people suffering from dismemberment and phantom limb syndrome. you shouldn't be so quick to judge, I don't think you really know much about Tori other than what you assume and MTV told you. Your absolutely right, these two women managed to get on the top of the industry and blaze an untrodden path for women in their wake, there is nothing similar about that at all, really.

you can look here for that supposed compilation, this site has every compilation, single, EP, album, whatever, she has ever been featured on. if you see the one there, go ahead and point it out.

http://www.hereinmyhead.com/collect/collab/compila.html
Old 2009.08.05, 09:16 PM   #826
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

you can look here for that supposed compilation, this site has every compilation, single, EP, album, whatever, she has ever been featured on. if you see the one there, go ahead and point it out.

http://www.hereinmyhead.com/collect/collab/compila.html
They don't have this one!

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.05, 09:30 PM   #827
kuro_neko

;;sigh;;

what do you want me to say? that I'm wrong? so the compilation isn't on the list, they missed one, or it is miscategorized, or they have a reason it wasn't included, I don't know. it doesn't change my point and arguing about the tiny details just drags it out further and further. I think the debate over Tori is done hijacking this thread. I don't care if people dislike her or have nasty things to say, an opinion is an opinion. but if Jihad wants to go out of his way to poke and prod me and then laugh at issues such as rape and abuse, don't blame me for getting a bit heated underneath the collar. as fiona apple said, you fondle my trigger and you blame my gun.

lets get back on topic, shall we?

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.08.05 at 09:42 PM.
Old 2009.08.05, 09:46 PM   #828
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

hmm, not sure why that isn't on the list. maybe they simply missed it? It might also be on any other number of updates/other lists in the discography section. there are something like 10 categories... I don't know what to tell you. did you specifically go to Amazon and look for one not on the list to make me look misinformed?
No, It's just my mum has had that compilation since I was little and it's basically the first way I heard of her. It's a crap compilation when you get to the trite Motown picks (I haaate you "Stop! In the Name of Love" XP), but it definitely exposed me to a lot of artists in the pre-internet era.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.05, 09:52 PM   #829
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

A short thought mostly unrelated to the current discussion:

The only track I've found myself going back to in the short time since trying and dismissing Sanmon Gossip as boring is "Bonsai Hada". Probably because it has that "classic Shiina Ringo" vibe, even if a lot of people think the term is BS. I hope it'll be on a Shiina Ringo compilation album in nine more years.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.06, 02:28 AM   #830
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

^ I understand "classic shiina ringo vibe", however, I don't think it includes operatic singing style.