Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.08.07, 10:27 PM   #6891
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Bjork- Virus

I've been a bit meh leading up to Bjork's new project/album "Biophilia". The first two songs from it were somewhat interesting but mainly forgetable. This latest "leak" -in the form of an iPod ap (*facepalm- don't get me started on the cheesiness and gimmickiness of this*) is actually quite a pretty, delicate song that wouldn't sound out of place on Vespertine, her best work IMO.

So, there is some hope for Biophilia yet, if you can look past all the stupid bullshi that comes around it.

At least I'm sure it will be better than whatever Tori Amos will serve up this year (though I truly desire for Tori to prove me wrong).
Old 2011.08.07, 11:00 PM   #6892
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Modjo - Chillin'

It's like a discotheque deadmau5. His headgear, I mean.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.08, 02:43 AM   #6893
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

Joe Yamanaka - Satori

Joe Yamanaka - Proof Of The Man

R.I.P.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.08, 04:29 AM   #6894
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

World's End Girlfriend - The Offering Inferno

To me this looks like Souretsu's outro for the entire song, wonder how the live version would sound like.

Last edited by ChickShhh : 2011.08.08 at 04:35 AM.
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.08, 06:58 PM   #6895
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Bjork- Virus

I've been a bit meh leading up to Bjork's new project/album "Biophilia". The first two songs from it were somewhat interesting but mainly forgetable. This latest "leak" -in the form of an iPod ap (*facepalm- don't get me started on the cheesiness and gimmickiness of this*) is actually quite a pretty, delicate song that wouldn't sound out of place on Vespertine, her best work IMO.

So, there is some hope for Biophilia yet, if you can look past all the stupid bullshi that comes around it.

At least I'm sure it will be better than whatever Tori Amos will serve up this year (though I truly desire for Tori to prove me wrong).
Why is Biophilia bullshit? At least Bjork is trying to achieve some higher purpose with her art, mainly in installation and education. I think its commendable. Everyone who participated in the apps did so out of respect for her and they are all just going all in together, splitting profits. But whatever.

If your one of THOSE tori fans I sincerely doubt you will like what she serves up in september. with an artist that has been around that long and with that large body of work, its pretty much impossible for her to return to her youth. her voice has changed so much. I'm excited about it because I love Tori but also because I'm a huge classical music fan. If you liked Midwinter Graces you'll probably like it, if you didn't, you probably won't.

man, YUKI just keeps on churning out hit after hit. Ringo could take a lesson from her, this is how you do it. This video is the cutest thing I've seen in a while.

YUKI - hello !
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.08, 07:19 PM   #6896
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Seriously, one snippet I read about the new Tori Amos album:

Tash will portray a character named “Annabelle” •Tori’s niece, Kelsey Dobyns, portrays “The Fire Muse”

I mean, seriously? Did you not just groan at that? I mean, again, Tori? Why all these silly nonsensical concepts?

Also, I still own everything, including AATS and MWG and gave them more than a passing turn to grow on me. So I DO know what I'm talking about/truly feel. But yeah, not judging you for liking them, I just don't understand what happened here. Old people can still make good music you know- I mean, look at Nick Cave, he's still got energy and his bones are nearly dust. And his catalogue is goddamn massive.

But yeah, I'm judging before anything at all has leaked from it here. We will see.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.08.08 at 07:27 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.09, 01:56 AM   #6897
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

HALCALI - Giri Giri Surfrider

I miss the days when the girls from HALCALI were 15 years old and thug as shit.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.09, 02:06 PM   #6898
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I think expecting Tori to make another Little Earthquakes is just bullshit. She's old now, she can be mellow. She bore her soul out in too many songs to count, she can calm down and stop sharing her personal life story and pretend to be somebody else. Just because Nick Cave can churn out more aggressive music doesn't mean everyone can or wants to.

I mean, that's a huge problem I have with music in general, all these expectations about the type of music an artist "SHOULD" put out just makes people ignore good music because they go "Tori should only do angry feminist chick daddy-issues songs! How dare she write a song about how much she loves her daughter!"

People forget that Tori is just as much a classical music fan as an angry post-modern feminist.

It's going to be a classical album. If you don't like classical music, you will not like the album. If you think Tori should only be an early 20's angry person, then you will not like the album.

^
I know! I was just listening to them yesterday and I was like "WHYYYYY did you stop getting produced by RIP SLYME!?"

^^^
YUKI's actually a really great example, because she went from punk-ish rock music to ultra-mellow adult contemporary.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.09, 02:38 PM   #6899
mr. Pillow
ectoplasm

mr. Pillow is an asset to this community

Grassland / Akira Kosemura

Petrarca / Akira Kosemura

Combination of music and visuals almost makes me feel relieved. Easy listening, but not cheap by any means.
mr. Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.09, 06:15 PM   #6900
deadgrandma

@TurtleFu:

If by classical you mean she'll make an album of Yes, Anastasia it would be the best thing ever. But I'm guessing you mean like MWG.

My fave album by her is Scarlet's Walk, I do not think your "angry person" argument fits here. And if she doesnt want to be an "angry" person, then why would she attempt something like "fat slut" on ADP? Also, I don't give a damn what she sings about, as long as the music takes it. Lyrics are the least of her worries. The main thing she does wrong is make her albums far too long (77 mins or so), the latest material not being strong enough to carry it. TBK was OK, but then ADP and AATS were plain exhausting. MWG was shorter, but was a Xmas album so I don't really count it.

Anyway, I guess I feel the same way with Tori as some people feel with Ringo. Everyone deserves to dissent from someone, Tori is my current choice.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.08.09 at 07:20 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote