Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.11.17, 03:22 AM   #361
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I like the melody but the disco/funk kills it for me. If that smarmy "funky organ groove" sound dominates the new album I definitely won't like it...
Old 2009.11.17, 03:42 AM   #362
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Yay, thanks for the HQ link!

I think anyone who was disappointed with the first few songs of Sanmon Gossip may not like this.

I think this will be a killer single if the B-Side is a more 'epic' song (There are rumours that it sounds more like classic Ringo). I'm guessing that Frustration will be significantly longer because of the emphasis on the short 3 minutes of the A-Side.

And I agree that the song is way too short. The abrupt beep at the end makes me wonder if there's going to be some pretentious segue on the album a la Yukigini-Kabuki/Naoshi.

My preferences lean towards funky/groovy, which is naturally why this single appealed to me. Ukigumo gets flack for being stiff and lifeless, but he can totally move in this video (I think this is more his style than 'badass rock star'), and as long as he doesn't write songs, he is good at bringing out the RnB/Soul side of Ringo that we knew existed before Muzai Moratorium.

I wish that the song had an 'extra layer', or more variation to it like, say, Omatsuri Sawagi or Togatta Teguchi, but as long as the rest of the album is good then it deserves its place.

Two things I am worried about:

- Songwriting duties on the album
- Izawaaaaaaaaa

The interviews next week Friday can't come enough.

Oh, and this song will probably suck live because Uki will have to sing with his natural voice.
Old 2009.11.17, 04:27 AM   #363
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I think anyone who was disappointed with the first few songs of Sanmon Gossip may not like this.
you could have just said "a_grumble_cake"
Old 2009.11.17, 04:46 AM   #364
alumina

alumina pleased at least somebody

kinda feels like michael jackson's "rock with you" for me =)

Last edited by alumina : 2009.11.17 at 04:52 AM.
Old 2009.11.17, 04:55 AM   #365
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

I like it. It's certainly not unexpected based on what SR/TJ have done recently. I love Adult, so I don't mind Tokyo Jihen working the same general territory. Kameda is kicking butt, as usual. I do worry that the surface-y-ness (sorry, but I just worked through the night and that's the best you're going to get) of it all might grow old. I don't quite get how in the beginning she seems to be talking about a personal situation (not necessarily hers, but that type of situation) and then she's singing about music by the end, unless music rescues her from the situation? Anyway, I only understand the English, of course, so it may make perfect sense with the Japanese (and I'm not even making out all of the English).

I sort-of listened at work but it was down so low I couldn't really hear it. Then I got very excited when I played it on home and it sounded really pretty adventurous and electronic, but it turned out that I was playing the video twice (the embedded one and then the one at youtube itself), slightly out of sync. Ah well. I think I've done that before. I have to pay attention to what I'm doing.

I think their videos are a bit lazy at times, including this one. Not that I don't think most rock videos suck, because I do (maybe just most music videos?), but SR and to a lesser extent, TJ, have sometimes made videos that were a little exceptional.
Old 2009.11.17, 05:13 AM   #366
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

This is... brilliant! Definitely love this. Too short, tho. Oh, and by the way, at the start of the PV you can see 4 different clocks running, so she certainly is dating the guys one after one.
Old 2009.11.17, 05:16 AM   #367
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
you could have just said "a_grumble_cake"

You and a few others may have downright said that you hate it, but I'd wager there's quite a few people who think it's average.

I mostly agree with Superficial Fan. It's quite 'surface-y' but somehow doesn't have that empty sound that I feel that most of Variety's tracks did (Bokoku Jushou came close to that though!)

I'm not sure about Adult comparisons, though. 'General territory', yes, but I don't think it would fit on Adult. The Tomosaka songs, yes, but not this. Closest to this song is Shuraba.
Old 2009.11.17, 05:24 AM   #368
Superficial Fan

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
You'll all hate it in a week! :B
This genuinely made me lol.

Wow (unironically) to all this analysis about Izawa possibly leaving or TJ breaking up in general, and then the talk about her being with each band member at different times, etc. I will have to look at the video more carefully from that angle.

Originally Posted by Scribble R
The abrupt beep at the end makes me wonder if there's going to be some pretentious segue on the album a la Yukigini-Kabuki/Naoshi.
I love that pretentious segue.
Old 2009.11.17, 05:27 AM   #369
Scribble R

Good kind of pretentious ;-)
Old 2009.11.17, 05:40 AM   #370
Superficial Fan

Does her hand movement at 0:48-0:51 (roughly) remind anyone else of some hand movements in the "Senkou Shoujo" PV? I have no idea what the significance might be. Maybe it's just some kind of leftover ballet practice thing kicking around in her psyche.
Closed Thread