Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.05.16, 03:05 PM   #151
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

So far...

プライベイト 8/10
青春の瞬き 7/10 Tomita Lab lol
雨傘 10/10

Last edited by Inseu : 2014.05.16 at 03:13 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.16, 06:10 PM   #152
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by anonlurker View Post
game-changing magic hidden from view.
You seriously expected this?

That isn't her job since 2003.

That job is now Oomoris.
Old 2014.05.16, 07:27 PM   #153
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
By "research" does she mean come out from whatever rock she's been under the last 15 years?
hmmm 15 years ago KPP was 5 lol
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.16, 08:35 PM   #154
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Coming out of lurker status to say that this is probably the first thing Ringo has done at all that has been somewhat stimulating - and for that I want to support it. I think it's important to understand the concept is billed on the guest arrangements - yes it has Ringo in a fancy cover (total marketing ploy, they are aware that Ringo is billed as east meets west. They are smart enough to know what is imported and exported and she makes profits from both inside and outside japan with this strategy). Anyways, back to my point, this is a covers album of *music she wrote for other people* that has subsequently been *arranged by guest artists* It's like judging a still life against Picasso.

I'll give her points for how out there it is - there is a level of feeling inspired that hasn't come from any of her other works - it feels fresh - most likely due to the life these guests are bringing to it. The variety of styles and the tone not meshing with Ringo's core fan base could be a larger risk, but I applaud an artist for making something new and not pandering to what their fans want to hear album in and album out.

Now that nippon single....that is another matter....
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.16, 09:55 PM   #155
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
The variety of styles and the tone not meshing with Ringo's core fan base could be a larger risk, but I applaud an artist for making something new and not pandering to what their fans want to hear album in and album out.
This. I feel she's trying something new here. As we can tell by the comments, some of us like it and some of us don't. There's nothing wrong with that. I'd rather she step out of any comfort zones she's created than to stay on the tried and true path.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.16, 09:58 PM   #156
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Surely you mean somewhat stimulating since xxxx KuroNeko...

Interesting point but if you don't consider KZK stimulating then your points are moot :-p
Old 2014.05.16, 10:32 PM   #157
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Ima is game-changing.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.16, 10:42 PM   #158
xephyr

xephyr pleased at least somebody

I know it's more of a good thing than a bad one, but some people just hold Ringo up to some weird artistic high standard I just can't understand. I love her work and I hold most of it in high regard but to say she's gone this far without showing some weakness when it comes to composition in certain styles or particular singing patterns and tones that are different from before? Can't fault her for experimenting and changing, but she ain't perfect. My opinion would be that anyone whose been a fan long enough knows to just be excited for new territory in new releases instead of supposedly higher artistic merit in genres and styles we've already heard greatness from.

but I guess we can all dream for KZK2 sometime soon since she's popped out second bebeh and I'll be facedown in humble pie
Old 2014.05.17, 12:36 AM   #159
anonlurker

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Ima is game-changing.
Agreed. Which further cements that she still has it in her to write amazing material. It's not a case of give me the 90's or go home it's just a lot of the previews felt impersonal and phoned in. The music doesn't feel like it would encourage or even reward repeated play.

Originally Posted by xephyr
My opinion would be that anyone whose been a fan long enough knows to just be excited for new territory in new releases instead of supposedly higher artistic merit in genres and styles we've already heard greatness from.
I was excited until I heard it. I don't expect constant hits (I know better by now) but this just feels meh. The Jihen buzziness and grating English don't actually constitute new territory.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma
That job is now Oomoris.
Agreed.
Old 2014.05.17, 06:00 AM   #160
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Oomori? She's not doing anything game changing by making indie folk-pop with and sometimes straight up electro-pop. She came at a good time, though. Her unique voice and personality saves her. If it was anyone else, I doubt many people would care. I hope she brings it for her next album.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote