Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.05.17, 10:17 PM   #171
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

There's clearly a deep personal connection in Ultra C. Time to kill some of those old reductive cliches even when it comes to 'post-Adult/Variety Jihen' and to stop pretending that all Ringo has to offer is to be groundbreaking.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2014.05.17 at 10:54 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.18, 04:39 AM   #172
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
glad to give you the laugh. I stand by what I said, if it was packaged and released under her moniker originally, then I would consider it her music. I suddenly remember why I don't get involved here: semantics and the internet english police. You can argue that since she penned the tracks that they belong to her etc, but I subscribe to the belief that music she writes for herself versus music she is paid to write is a bit different. This may be grasping at straws but I can relate this back to anytime someone sells their given craft or skills for money: there is a difference between a labor of love and wanting to make a dime. Ringo has been wanting to make a dime for a while and my end point is at least this time around she is getting a bit creative with it. So anyone who is going to sit here and bitch and moan about this being the death of Ringo better get used to this because any of us old-time folk can tell ya, it ain't getting any better from here.
How is she getting creative this time when the album uses the exact same approach as SG? Do you consider Tokyo Jihen her moniker? If not, the first two Jihen albums are not her music?

As for "Ringo has been wanting to make a dime for a while", that's a bullshit statement, it has been like this since 1998. Personally I don't see big quality slide between songs she wrote for others and songs she wrote for her own albums. If you have to label Ringo songs you don't like not her music, you're in denial here.

Last edited by Inseu : 2014.05.18 at 04:57 AM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.18, 07:03 AM   #173
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
If you have to label Ringo songs you don't like not her music, you're in denial here.
What is this sentence
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.18, 09:29 AM   #174
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
What is this sentence
I think it means "The Ringo YOU like is not necessarily the Ringo that IS, so get over yourself."

To which a response could be "I don't have to like everything she does, that's an insult to an artist."

Response to that: "Let her do what she wants, you are not god of all music."

Response: "Without fans like me she'll never even try to improve."

"Who made you the great judge of what's good or not?"

"Nobody, that's just my opinion."

"Well that's just my opinion too."

"Great."

"Great."

*hugs and kisses*
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.18, 09:30 AM   #175
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
What is this sentence
LOL

Scribble, it isn't a reductive cliche, it is my opinion and based on the fact that that is largely when I fell out of sorts with her. Now you could argue that because I stopped paying attention roughly around the time of Ultra C that I missed reading between the lines - I don't ask Ringo to be groundbreaking, I ask that she stop putting out repetitive trash. Unlike some of what I heard from the last part of Jihen's work, this at least sounds fresh.

Inseu, she isn't using the same approach here. For SG she wrote that music for herself and when it came time to publishing (as requested from fans at her anniversary show to have another solo album), she invited different collaborators and the end result was varied. Go to kronekodow and look up this new album and what you will see is they are giving the arrangers themselves double billing - they are publicizing this album as much on the guest arrangers and the original artists Ringo gave this to, as much as they are Ringo herself. Therefore in my opinion this is a different approach. As I said, the final result is more like a Picasso of Ringo - its strange and unlike her but fresh and exciting.

I consider Jihen part of Ringo's canon, but different (just as you wouldn't judge Wings to the Beatles etc).

If you don't see the difference in the songs Ringo has written for herself vs others then I feel sorry for you. Think of the worst of the worst from Ringo's core 4 albums (you can even include HF if you want) and then compare that to the work she has given to any of these other artists.

And before I recede back to lurker status, I'll point out that none of this matters anyways. Ringo has been around for almost two decades and like any artist worth their salt has built a catalogue of diverse music that appeals to a variety of fans. We in this forum will never agree on parts of her music but I clearly have stirred the pot here and want to make sure my part in airing my own opinion is not twisted to serve someone else's fantasy.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.18, 11:18 AM   #176
3knotsJK

3knotsJK has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
*hugs and kisses*
And this is what makes the mod ¬˛¬
Old 2014.05.18, 03:26 PM   #177
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

A lot of drama for an album that isn't released in full yet.

I like it.
Old 2014.05.18, 03:33 PM   #178
Inseu

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
If you don't see the difference in the songs Ringo has written for herself vs others then I feel sorry for you. Think of the worst of the worst from Ringo's core 4 albums (you can even include HF if you want) and then compare that to the work she has given to any of these other artists
Worst songs from Ringo's solo albums for me...ここでキスして。from MM, 月に負け犬 from SS, おだいじに from KZK, 都合のいい身体, 二人ぼっち時間, and 色恋沙汰 from SG.

Compare to these songs with Ringo on vocals, Tomosaka Rie's Shoujo Robot, Tokio's 渦中の男 (classic remake of Tokyo Jihen's Goldfish Box), Puffy's 日和姫, Chiaki Kuriyama's 決定的三分間 and SMAP's 真夏の脱獄者

Prefer the later...
Old 2014.05.18, 10:45 PM   #179
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Inseu I generally agree with your sentiments -- that there's no radical difference in terms of quality of her songwriting (past/present, solo/band/other artists), but Odaijini, Tsukini, Irokoizata were some of my favourite tracks on those albums.

I don't understand this compulsion of some people to disown or to distance themselves on this work on the premise that it's not as good? Not her writing?

The lyrics and hooks are 500% Ringo, I'm not sure how anybody could really argue otherwise.

This might be a bad analogy or example to draw on but I can't understand people who hate the songs here but go jizz-crazy over tracks like Oiran or sa_i_ta. Or perhaps I'm imagining things.

As for criticisms of it sounding "too mainstream".......1. don't think mainstream categorically = bad, and 2. we must be listening to some very different mainstreams......
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.05.18, 11:20 PM   #180
Inseu

I don't think people here ever agreed on best/worst Ringo songs. I like fast-paced music in general, so songs like 歌舞伎町の女王 and 密偵物語 are perfect. I enjoy Gips, Service, Mirror Ball, Metro, Foul, the Izawa song, and the Nakata song...On the other hand, some people adore Shun, Carnation and It Was You, but I'm not really moved by them.