Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.12.04, 05:37 PM   #11
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

13. Deafheaven- New Bermuda

Deafheaven's followup to their now "godlike" status album "Sunbather" ran the risk of being a let-down, crashing and burning or potentially being a carbon copy. But no, Deafheaven took the risk (or perhaps were smart not to attempt to recreate that album) and made something entirely different. Darker, gloomier, more black metal. New Bermuda is in many ways the perfect follow up to something so monolithic and ingrained in the annals of music history. Infact, for me personally, I like this album even more than I liked Sunbather. (Which is perhaps not saying a lot coming from me- but there you have it).

This album like Sunbather before it, is amazingly textured and exacted. However, where as Sunbather went for sounding bright and uplifting, New Bermuda takes the opposite direction, and is a far 'heavier' experience because of it. It is possible that on early listens, you might be overwhelmed by the crashing waves of sound, but give it time and it all starts to come into focus- and becomes highly addictive because of it. It's one of those wonderful albums that reward you for listening to it more- as you will no doubt hear little things that you may have missed the first time round. And that truly encourages revisitation.

Being in the metal sphere of things, New Bermuda of course is not going to appeal to everyone. But- BUT, as far as metal goes, it is impossible to deny the artistry and vision here. Great vocals, lyrics, guitar work, percussion and production, this is essential listening this year. Definitely the best metal album I came across in 2015.

Deafheaven
Old 2015.12.04, 06:39 PM   #12
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Oh yeah, Vulnicura! I kinda had that pegged as 2014 in the back of my mind. Leak was almost a year ago.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Björk's Vulnicura has been hailed as her best album since Vespertine by many fans and critics.
I do like Medulla but it gives me headaches something awful

Vulnicura is definitely better than Volta and whatever Biophilia was supposed to be, at any rate.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post

Tour de force, one of the songs of the year.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.04, 06:51 PM   #13
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Keytar FTW
Old 2015.12.04, 08:27 PM   #14
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

12. ZOMBIE CHANG- Koi no Vacances EP

It was a hard decision whether or not to put this on my top 20 list this year- I know it's not a full length album BUT it's just so damn good it's hard to not mention, and it truly was one of my favorite releases this year. So in the end it's come down to "FUCK IT, IT'S MY LIST I'LL DO WHAT I WANT" and so, ZOMBIE CHANG's KOI NO VACANCES earns it's spot.

I truly adore this release. I have always been a ZOMBIE CHANG fan from the get-go, despite her first mini album getting scourged and 'hated' on by a great amount of the Japanese pop scene (quite unfairly I'll add). It was great news to me that ZOMBIE CHANG was releasing her second EP- and for free earlier this year and guess what? It did not disappoint in the slightest. In fact, it did the exact opposite and blew me off my chair.

This time she took the sound in a more 90s electronic vibe, and it seems to have worked wonders for her, both in how successful the end product is and in increasing her popularity. One of the more sticking descriptions of this EP that I have seen is "The Japanese Grimes"- and it isn't wrong- it really does fit. ZOMBIE CHANG mains strength ultimately, is in how COOL she is (listen how casually and effortlessly she delivers her vocals over those infinitely rad beats)- the release is truly something young and fresh. She is hip as it gets (and just happens to be a true cutie) and this EP is one of the most exciting things to happen to scene all year. CHECK IT OUT!

And she's releasing a new full length in January!

ZOMBIE CHANG
Old 2015.12.04, 09:13 PM   #15
deadgrandma

11. Suiyoubi no Campanella- Zipang

Probably the hottest release in the Japanese calendar this year- and rightly so. Suiyoubi's no Campanella's latest offers a healthy dose of ultra hip pop, clocking in at a mere 32 minutes- yet crammed with 6 massive singles. Production is amazing, vocals really add to the whole feel. Easily the best introduction to the group for a newcomer, the album has barely any filler and overall is highly satisfying.

While I may not be able to agree with the extreme praise it's getting (I do find it wears out it's welcome quite fast- but is easy to return to after a short rest)- I can understand why people are getting truly excited about this. It's doing extraordinarily well for a group of this type and is easily the best jpop/hip hop hybrid release you're gonna find under the rising sun in 2015. Worthy of your time. Definitely much better than most of the other stuff you're gonna hear in the mainstream.

Read my full review here.

Suiyoubi no Campanella
Old 2015.12.04, 09:15 PM   #16
deadgrandma

Phew. Done with the first 10. Gonna have a short break and get onto my top 10 in a day or two. I'm finding the top 10 this year extremely difficult because damn, the caliber we're dealing with is astonishing. Probably the best year since oh, 2012???
Old 2015.12.05, 12:38 PM   #17
Pretsy

Pretsy is headed in the right direction

That Gips/Superstar knockoff (jk) was certainly much worthier highlight of that Passepied album, lol.

Suiyoubi album on the other hand had some very neat moments but considering how quickly passing they were and how in overall Kenmochi's songwriting has become a bit..."trend-spongy" ("Ra" pretty much describes the horror of doing a Jersey Club tune about "golden" curry rice, meh), expect Zipang to go low with replay values...

Björk's album is certainly fine but only after many in-depth listens (for me it was way too inaccessible/dragging at first), not sure about Deafheaven and Reina dropped out of my radar much earlier than I thought.

I am such a bore lol, jesus. (looking forward to top 10, DG, don't take this seriously )
Pretsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.05, 03:12 PM   #18
deadgrandma

10. Lana Del Rey- Honeymoon

Lana Del Rey's latest album also marks her most balanced, mature and satisfying release to date. It is as far removed from the goofiness that plagued her debut as possible, and feels like a natural progression and step up from Ultraviolence. Naturally, like any Lana Del Rey release, this album was smothered in hype from the get-go, and for me personally, it delivered on its demands.

Whether it be it's gorgeous title track, sexy lead single "High by the Beach" with it's faux hip-hop inspired beat, vocal showcase "Salvatore", huge, sweeping balladry of "The Blackest Day" or James Bond tinged "24", this album has something for all Del Rey fans. While it's true this won't win over any of her 'haters', it does solidify her role in the music industry as more than just a gimmick- Del Rey knows where she is heading with this and I'm completely fine going with her on her journey. It's exciting, pulpy and downright exciting. I come back to it frequently. One of the albums with the longest shelf lives this year. Exactly what I want from a Lana Del Rey album.

Del Rey

(Yeah, yeah. Say what you want. Lana Del Rey in my top 10 :-p)
Old 2015.12.05, 04:06 PM   #19
deadgrandma

9. Roisin Murphy- Hairless Toys

Roisin Murphy's latest album is by far one of the most focused and singular minded music pieces released by anyone, anywhere this year. Unlike her last full length, Overpowered, it harkens further back to her time in Moloko and is closer to her debut, Ruby Blue in sound (however, this time everything sounds 'bigger' and more fully developed). This, to me, is a godsend, because as much as I liked her electro pop of Overpowered, it didn't really stand out or make any kind of statement in the long run.

Hairy Trees, however, is a major grower. On first listens, not much really stood out- but there's something about it's overall atmosphere and approach that just makes you keep coming back- it is layered in thick cloud of mystique. Even months later, I'm finding bits and pieces I missed before, and I still feel the album has yet to fully 'reveal' itself to me.

Songs are long and atmospheric. Roisin's vocals are at most points restrained, but also unquestionably her. You can't mistake it for anyone else. And that is a fine testament to her ability to throw songs together. Songs are long and brooding, the track "Exploitation" clocks in at nearly 10 minutes. There is a level of progressive song structures here and it's fascinating how you can just melt into the soundscape- it really takes you for the ride, and for this I think it worth sinking your teeth into.

Not just a simple dance/electro album, this is one of the well, weirdest, things you'll have the pleasure to hear all year. Trust me on this.

Roisin Murphy

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.12.05 at 04:10 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.05, 05:58 PM   #20
deadgrandma

8. Sayuko Nano- Kimi to Issho Nara Jigoku Demo Iiyo

Bleep bleep bleep bloop bloop bloop. My friend described Sayuko Nano' amazing (and fully self produced) debut as perfectly as possible and I don't think I'll be able to say it any better so here goes:

""If for whatever reason you were looking for an exact middle point between Daoko and Seiko Oomori, this would probably be it"

Infact, that's probably enough said. It's best to just go in and check this one out for yourself without too much information. Addictive, cute, from the heart. Major grower, highly eclectic. Check it out!

If you need more convincing, just check out the album trailer:

Sayuko Nano

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.12.05 at 06:03 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote