Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.10.03, 09:38 AM   #171
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Pain? Disappointment? Goodbye? I don't seem to understand why these kind of words came up.

Talking about the solo effort (the band is another story, more egos involved), you may or may not like the music, it may or may not work for you but you can't deny that the artist is still keen about what she does, the product has got a lot of work in the background, you can't deny that the overall result is still high quality music, greatly produced and executed.

Personally, I admit I have a hard time not finding Sanmon Gossip/Ariamaru Tomi expressive, honest, smart, original, diverse, even if I don't need all of these concepts together to enjoy the music; but I accept that someone else might not react the same way, and I believe this is the case. But disappointment? Disapproval? Objectively speaking, the woman is still eager and moving around; subjectively, making lively art. And last but not least, she is still young.

I think this is important:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I'm just not focused entirely on her. I also like other artists who are just as active and making interesting music.

Last edited by Carlx : 2011.10.03 at 09:43 AM.
Old 2011.10.03, 10:00 AM   #172
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
Talking about the solo effort (the band is another story, more egos involved), you may or may not like the music, it may or may not work for you but you can't deny that the artist is still keen about what she does, the product has got a lot of work in the background, you can't deny that the overall result is still high quality music, greatly produced and executed.
In regards to what I've heard from the new song, I disagree with essentially all of the above, emphasis on the bolded.
Old 2011.10.03, 10:19 AM   #173
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Pain? Disappointment? Goodbye? I don't seem to understand why these kind of words came up.
You can come up with these kind of words if you are disappointed with what she has done. I think this is an interesting phenomenon which happens on EMF:

The negative people do not understand the positive comments (Just like I don't seem to understand why you say the overall result is still high quality music, greatly produced and executed), and the positive people do not understand the negative comments.
Old 2011.10.03, 10:20 AM   #174
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
In regards to what I've heard from the new song, I disagree with essentially all of the above, emphasis on the bolded.
Why? Does it sound flat to you? lifeless? Is her singing inexpressive to your ears?

I'm just curious because I feel the opposite about the same song so far, and I'm not an indulgent fanatic by no means.

Anyway, we are talking about a portion of music yet.
Old 2011.10.03, 10:30 AM   #175
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Why do you think so? I find it hard to believe that when Ultra C is a great performance... It does not look like she is losing motivation. Furthermore, I think this is Ringo's first attempt at creating ballet music. I would not compare carnation to pieces that are created by much highly trained musician like... you know.. Tchaikovsky's swan theme or something esle...
Old 2011.10.03, 10:50 AM   #176
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Objectively speaking, the woman is still eager and moving around; subjectively, making lively art. And last but not least, she is still young.
Not to play devil's advocate, but is this part of the problem? She's been firing on all cylinders, for what, nine years straight? Since Sonata?

This is difficult for me to say, only having listened to her for a year, and saying this in retrospect. But eagerness in excess leads to burning out. I think even we can relate to that.
Old 2011.10.03, 11:01 AM   #177
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Does it sound flat to you? lifeless? Is her singing inexpressive to your ears?
Yes.

The vocals sound phoned in and separated from the music. The melody is really boring and flat. The arrangement is the same old same old from what we have come to expect from Shiina with this kind of song. To express what I've said in private, it sounds like music 60-70 year olds might have on their radio as they do their daily routine. The production sounds pretty lifeless and arranged over a few lunch breaks.
Old 2011.10.03, 12:00 PM   #178
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
^ Indeed. I guess I am lucky that she still consistently moves me with her music. Peace.
Why not, as long as she moves to a somewhere that suits my musicals tolerances.

But it's hard to think of Celine Dion when I listen to my favorite artist...

Yes, what bugs me it's the kind of music, maybe with another arrangement, this song could please me. (It was the case with dopamint!, Miles away better in the album, than in the single... to me)

We still have to wait for the two Bsides. Lucky, we are to can be sure she will bring two another completely differents songs.
Old 2011.10.03, 02:29 PM   #179
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

As much as it really annoys me when people act like Shiina's music has become something horrifically unbearable, I do sympathize with ChickShhh.

Before Shiina, I was really into an idol group called Morning Musume. Suddenly, I realized their music wasn't fun or interesting anymore, and what made me like the group is completely in the past. At the time, it really upset me.

Of course, my excuse is that, as an idol group, Morning Musume DID actually lose members and change, whereas Shiina is a SINGLE PERSON.
Old 2011.10.03, 02:38 PM   #180
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Goddamn, y'all whine a lot.
Closed Thread