Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.02.11, 10:57 AM   #131
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I have Audio Techinica ATH-AD900s and my brother has the ATH-A900. I've had mine for about six years and my brother has had his for a little longer. Great stuff. Build quality is good. My phones had a bit of an accident at a party a few years ago. The left phone got trampled and almost completely snapped off. It was just dangling by the interior cable. A little super glue and electrical tape fixed 'em up nicely. They still work flawlessly and have a little bit of character.

Right, no need for an amp, but it wouldn't hurt. The FiioE6 is pretty decent for the price.

Be sure to check out some other Audio Technica stuff if you can. The M50 might be too bass heavy for you. The A700 is less bassy, but it might be a little too light. If you can afford the premium, the A900x is fantastic. More comfortable than the M50 and they have better mids. I'd also say you should amp them up, but that would probably be out of your price comfort zone.

Last edited by Maou : 2014.02.11 at 11:10 AM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.11, 11:18 AM   #132
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
PortaPros: 60 ohms
MDR-7509: 63 ohms
MTH-50: 38 ohms
So yeah, probably don't need an amp for the Audio Technica but if I do get the Sony I might want to get one.
This may come as a shock to you, but despite the impedance ratings, I found that the MDR-7509 was louder without an amp than the ATH-M50. I can't explain it.

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Was wondering what your opinion was on the stock MDR-7509 earpads Glath. I tend to use my headphones for hours at a time so comfort is really important.
While the ATH-M50 is definitely more comfortable, I never quite found the MDR-7509 to be uncomfortable. The main issue I had with my MDR-7509 earpads, was that the pseudo-leather started peeling off and exposing the foam, after about 5-6 years of ownership. This was about 18 months before I lost sound in one of the cups (thanks to the internal wire), and finally decided to buy my ATH-M50.

I haven't checked prices lately, but as far as I've seen throughout the years, the MDR-7509 has always been significantly more expensive than the ATH-M50, even before you potentially mod it with aftermarket earpads or whatever. My MDR-7509 was like $150 brand new when I got it, and I still think that was fair, but I don't think it's worth the $200ish prices I've been seeing in more recent years. The ATH-M50 has been a much better value.

MDR-7509 pros:
Louder
More deceptively-realistic soundstage

MDR-7509 cons:
Mids are slightly dry
Little too much mid-bass

The ATH-M50 is cheaper, more comfortable, and without any of those aforementioned advantages or disadvantages. It's got quite a reputation for its bass, but in my opinion the rock-bottom bass is equally abundant and tight across both headphones. I kinda miss the soundstage of the MDR-7509, but it's not worth the extra money and the other drawbacks. Not when I'm poor. If I had a lot more money, I'd look for something (perhaps among Maou's recommendations) with the rock-bottom bass of the MDR-7509 and the ATH-M50, with soundstage at least as good as the MDR-7509, but without any of the drawbacks of the MDR-7509. And I'd probably need an amp.
Old 2014.02.11, 01:15 PM   #133
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Local BestBuy had neither, so that was a bust.
Ah, I see what my problem was! I mistook the MDR-7506 for the MDR-7509. I was confused when you said the MDR-7509 was cheaper because the product I was looking at on Amazon was actually the 7506.
The MDR-7506 are in-stock on Amazon for $85, those are the ones that recommend you get replacement Beyerdynamic earpads.
ATH-50 are $149 (coiled) or $131 (straight), or bundled with the Fiio e6 $155 (coiled) or $150 (straight) - amp is typically $30 on its own. But then again I don't really need an amp, adds extra bulk.
However, I have seen the ATH-50 on sale for $92 before, so it might not be worth it in case they go on sale before I leave.

I think I kind of like bass, but it can be overpowering at times. I have to turn down bass when listening to live recordings for instance. My PortaPros are definitely bass-heavy. However, I'm thinking the bass muddles some details. I LOVE detail, it's always disappointing when there are things on the recording that my ear can't pink up because of poor response on the headphones. The cheapo JVC earpads I have as a temporary replacement until my PortaPros get back seem to have better detail on the highs, like when I listen to Utada's song "About Me" I can pick out the piano and snares better in the background. They sound more prominent than I remember with my PortaPros. However, I would need to do a side-by-side comparison to be sure.

My budget is basically $100, but I would really rather not spend that kind of money on something that won't last. I have no idea why all my headphones crap out after 1.5-2 years but it worries me!

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2014.02.11 at 01:36 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.22, 10:24 PM   #134
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Anybody know the best way to trim mp3 files? I have mp3 rips of a concert and I wanted to cut out the crowd cheering/short intro talk from the track.
I can also get the files in FLAC I beileve.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.23, 05:23 AM   #135
anonlurker

mp3Trim PRO

Been using it for eternity and will do exactly what you need. Trim and fade in/out it's got you covered.

Check your PM.
Old 2014.06.23, 09:23 AM   #136
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Anyone know the best deal for in-ear buds for my money? I've been buying Sony's since they're around $20 and get the job done for my commute, but they keep dying after a year or so.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.06.28, 05:29 PM   #137
Cinders

Cinders is headed in the right direction

If you mean IEMs I don't have any real experience with them, they're too uncomfortable for me, I like earbuds. And thanks to a suggestion from a Head-Fi reviewer, I picked up a pair of these super cheap buds, and they're amazing. Almost as good as the $150 Yuin PK1s I used to own.

http://www.dasetn.com/croons-tingo-t...ced_p3313.html
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.14, 09:07 PM   #138
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

I really recently bought 2 sets of speakers though yahoo auctions.

It was nondirectional speakers from early 1970's and
very easier to obtain than I have imagined for decades.

Victor GB-1H(left, globe‐shaped) and GB-2(right, Cuboctahedron).
http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/Speaker/gb-1h.html
http://audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/Speaker/gb-2.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1410755972426.jpg (27.7 KB, 30 views)
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.15, 03:51 AM   #139
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

^Very cool. My dream omni speaker back in the '70s was the Ohm Walsh F.

TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.15, 08:41 AM   #140
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

as for my 'new' speakers, it's not in audio category but more like PA speakers
in bars and apparently spread for these purpose.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote