Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.11.30, 09:42 AM   #31
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

I'm sure you can fight the double charge?? >_<

And that's why I hate HMV. Whenever I've ordered from them, they've never marked anything as a gift and I always get charged by customs.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.30, 10:05 AM   #32
pocket

pocket pleased at least somebody

Sadly there is nothing I can do, I'm actually having the box shipped to Germany first, repackaged and then sent to me so I can avoid charges from the Parcel delivery company who charge alot of money because they pay customs charges for you, but you still have to pay them yourself PLUS their fee.

I'm basically sulking that my friend who lived in Japan moved to France and now can't send stuff to me that she used to get in shops and concerts (ie merch) in Tokyo when I asked her to.

It makes me feel better that I'm not alone when it comes to being burnt by customs charges.
pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.30, 12:28 PM   #33
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

YesAsia is the final frontier, because everything everywhere else is gone today (and YesAsia never offered the LPs).

Throughout all of the shipments I have ever received from around the world, I have never been charged a customs fee, none of my shipments were marked as gifts, the full value was always declared, and most of these packages were insured. I think it has something to do with being an American, and not trying to import a car. It's the sales/vat tax heavy countries where people seem to be getting slammed with the customs fees. At least zarya knows how to make the best of her circumstances as a Canadian, because she's tried every delivery method before finding the lesser of many evils.
Old 2008.11.30, 12:36 PM   #34
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Listing something as gift doesn't really guarantee that you won't be charged a tax. I've had some items shipped to me that have been taxed even though it was labeled gift on the custom form.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.30, 01:52 PM   #35
pocket

Nothing guarantees not being taxed in the UK!. But anything with a value of more than £18 that isn't judged to be a gift in the UK is taxed by customs. Sometimes you get away with it, most of the time you don't. It's a hazard that I have to face when importing from Japanese vendors. It sucks.
Old 2008.11.30, 02:26 PM   #36
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I'm in the UK and I haven't been taxed once for any of the Shiina/Jihen stuff I've received. In fact the only time I've received a customs charge ever in my life was importing Rock Band from Canada, but I expected that; it was after all a huge box. I don't have tips for avoiding it; I've never told any site to mark anything as a gift and I don't know if they have (I don't usually look) but I know that in the UK at least, you can get your money back if you're a student. It's a terribly long winded process which involves phoning and asking for a specific form and waiting weeks for them to reply, but it's worth it if the customs charge is quite high. I got my £38 back for my Rock Band import!
Old 2008.11.30, 02:51 PM   #37
pocket

sadly I'm not a student..........but my husband is . Thanks for the tip there!!! Congrats on hanging on and getting your money back. Ah Rock Band ^__^

Actually I only have the problem if I buy off certain shops in Japan. 90% of the time I'm sneaky enough to get a friend to send it stuff to me from Japan and mark down the value of the item, not cheating since she opens them first so not new goods. Recently I haven't been able to do that and got hammered by Parcelforce for almost £30 for processing fees. The tax is fine, £6 or so is reasonable on a CD or DVD. It's the processing that I couldn't get around due to personal circumstances that annoyed me. I'm just not going to get burnt again, I'll just send regular airmail instead of EMS which attracts all the extra charges!
Old 2008.11.30, 10:47 PM   #38
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

FUCK!!!!!!!!!

HMV sent me a fucking CD Box instead of a DVD Box... I'm so fucking pissed. The receipt and everything says the DVD one, but it's the CD one, I'm sure...
Old 2008.11.30, 10:48 PM   #39
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Well just open it and you can be certain ?
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.30, 10:52 PM   #40
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

It says TOCT26761 on the sticker. The DVD box is TOBF5601.
Plus it says 4CD, not 6DVD. And it also lists the 4 CDs on the front sticker. So my assumption is that it is indeed the CD box.

I'm not opening it in case they let me send it back for a DVD box replacement, even though THEY'RE FREAKING SOLD OUT. I am so very pissed.

The vinyls, on the other hand, are lovely.