Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.08.20, 06:30 PM   #31
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I disagree. I understand your point well enough, but obviously its easier to trick the human mind to accept a CGI Prawn over a CGI human. The CGI in D9 was so badly rendered at certain moments I was pulled out of the action. Your focusing on one tiny aspect of such a huge accomplisment for any movie. If you think the Navi design could be more alien and improved, I get your point, but perhaps you should read what Cameron has to say about that. He admitted fans will be disappointed most likely in his decision to stay mostly humanoid when he could go completely alien. this was done in an effort to better portray human emotions through the avatar. fact of the matter is that they do look more photo-realistic than the bugs in D9 but since they are humanoid and you have stated you would like a better thought out design, I think your opinion makes sense. I, however, like their design, and looking at the CGI makes me extremely excited and not let down in the least bit, especially when you consider the Navi are probably about 10 percent of the total CGI in the film.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.21, 04:24 AM   #32
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I disagree. I understand your point well enough, but obviously its easier to trick the human mind to accept a CGI Prawn over a CGI human. The CGI in D9 was so badly rendered at certain moments I was pulled out of the action. Your focusing on one tiny aspect of such a huge accomplisment for any movie. If you think the Navi design could be more alien and improved, I get your point, but perhaps you should read what Cameron has to say about that. He admitted fans will be disappointed most likely in his decision to stay mostly humanoid when he could go completely alien. this was done in an effort to better portray human emotions through the avatar. fact of the matter is that they do look more photo-realistic than the bugs in D9 but since they are humanoid and you have stated you would like a better thought out design, I think your opinion makes sense. I, however, like their design, and looking at the CGI makes me extremely excited and not let down in the least bit, especially when you consider the Navi are probably about 10 percent of the total CGI in the film.
I understand your point. As I even said, the CGI in Avatar is clearly better than that of District 9, but the aliens in Ditrict 9 don't suffer from the uncanny valley effect, so they don't jump out as CG as obviously. The more photo-realistic a humanesque CGI character becomes, the creepier it becomes until it truly breaks the photoreal barrier and becomes truly believable. I don't think anybody has broke the barrier yet. Avatar is teasing it, but the reason I wasn't as impressed with the Na'vi is because after all of Camerons hyping, I thought they would look really real. But I think the thing stopping them from looking real is no longer down to the CGI, but the design. Mostly the eyes I think. CG eyes are always soulless, and it doesn't help when they're 5 times bigger than usual.
Old 2009.08.22, 12:03 PM   #33
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I saw the preview of Avatar in 3D yesterday. As I already told Whisper, I wasn't blown away at all by the 2D trailer when I saw it.

But it's COMPLETELY different in 3D. The avatars look so real, so living, it's amazing. You simply cannot compare seeing them in 2D and 3D. And I was most sceptical about it, ESPECIALLY after I watched the trailer before the preview. Actually I was a bit disappointed by the trailer and went into the preview with lowered expectations.
Just to be blown away even more

In most scenes I forgot I was sitting in a cinema, and not on a chair in the jungle.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.22, 02:59 PM   #34
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I have heard almost nothing but positive feedback from the 15 minute presentations, and I've witnessed a lot of people completely change their mind from their trailer impressions (from negative to positive) which is good. Makes me all the more glad that I haven't spoiled myself though, and I'll go into the full movie almost totally ignorant.
Old 2009.08.22, 03:08 PM   #35
golem09

You know you would like to have spoiled yourself

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.08.22, 11:43 PM   #36
Inaudible-Whisper

I would have had I the choice, but in hindsight, I'm glad I was forced into missing it.
Old 2009.08.24, 01:43 PM   #37
Inaudible-Whisper

Inception.

Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Momento) + $200 million Sci-Fi action movie = win!
Old 2009.08.24, 03:02 PM   #38
golem09

Oh, the first Trailer for this is finally out, yay. And you forgot DiCaprio in the Eqution
I'm also excited for DiCaprios other upcoming object, directed by Martin Scorsese, just like the Departed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwCDFXFg-hA
(watch it in hd )

OH SHIT, I NEVER KNEW THAT IT'S GOING TO BE OUT ON OCTOBER!

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2009.08.24 at 03:07 PM.
Old 2009.08.24, 04:05 PM   #39
Inaudible-Whisper

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
OH SHIT, I NEVER KNEW THAT IT'S GOING TO BE OUT ON OCTOBER!
It isn't. Got delayed til February.
Old 2009.08.24, 05:53 PM   #40
golem09

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
It isn't. Got delayed til February.

A new hope destroyed that fast

MyAnimelist