Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.06.03, 01:16 AM   #31
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I agree with you about Nintendo this year. Their presentation didn't really wow me.
Old 2009.06.03, 01:54 AM   #32
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

When watching the Sony presentation of their motion controller, I thought at one point "Why does everyone puts so much work into making a new controller? That doesn't make the games itelf any better"

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.03, 02:44 AM   #33
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Also I'd predict that it'll be available on the 360 within a year of launch. No WAY are they releasing an MMORPG and cutting off the console with the biggest online community.
Exactly! The game is already announced to be availble for PC too, and when it was in Project stage it was confirmed to be released on XBOX360 and Mac. Now they're only saying it's for PS3 and PC, but that won't last long, of course.

EDIT: I think the new Wii Metroid is the only thing that attracts me from the Nintendo conference. Since the first GC Metroid was announced, I always wanted it to be a side-scroller, like the original games, but in 3D. Alas, they only delivered FPS games, so far, so this is pretty good news. I gotta try to borrow a Wii again, when this game comes out

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.06.03 at 02:59 AM.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.03, 03:53 AM   #34
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
Sony and Microsoft will probably never take the time to develop their products to their full advantage when they have so much going on. The hardware on PS3 is never going to release its full potential, and now they are adding even more crap when they still can't make games in a decent amount of time utilizing the current hardware, it is quite silly.
Well Sony see their console as having a 10 year life cycle so these are very early days and having seen the huge sales Wii's motion controller pulls in both companies would be naive to think an accessory like these wasn't necessary to grasp the casual market in a similar way. Similarly Microsoft said that this gives their console an extended life. "Why release a new product when you can reinvent the one you have".

Whilst the Wii had the advantage of having motion control in every console from day 1 so that it was the whole point of the Wii and not a "side-dish", Microsoft and Sony have the advantage of better technology (both in terms of motion hardware and console hardware), much better third party support and some very creative first party devs. There is also the fact that now motion games could easily be ported to and from the Wii now and, as is being shown at E3, current games can be patched to use motion control (Microsoft are showing Burnout Paradise using it).

Will they be as successful as the Wii? No. But I think they will not only have decent success, but the motion games on both consoles will be more impressive than anything the Wii has and is capable of. Whether they meet their potential or not, I think both companies will see them as a necessary and worthwhile step. Dipping their toes in the water ensures that the public know what they're striving for so that next-gen when all 3 start with motion from day 1 the public have a very hard choice to make.
Old 2009.06.03, 04:27 AM   #35
golem09

Imagine The PS3 motion controller and Natal combined. That would make some great games, but taken apart?

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.06.03, 04:45 AM   #36
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Imagine The PS3 motion controller and Natal combined. That would make some great games, but taken apart?
But in Natal you can grab something and use it as the controller, more or less. At least that was what I understood. Imagine you have a plastic sword, Natal can detect you're holding it and use it in a sword-game.
There's also a chance they develop some kind of controller until it's released, I guess...
Old 2009.06.03, 05:12 AM   #37
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, as I said earlier, there are absolutely no limits with Natal. If a game really needs a button and an analogue stick, it would cost a couple of dollars to create and couple a "remote" with a game because the casing would need no accelerometers or gyroscopes inside -- all motion would be captured by the camera, and it would still capture your entire body as well as the button stick. Scene It, for example, is $31 ($39.99 RRP) and that comes with 4 wireless single hand controllers with 5 buttons and one large button which acts as a D-Pad (just an example to show how cheap and easy it is to create a wireless button controller). If a game needs button input, you can see how easy it would be to allow and create that cheaply (assuming holding a 360 controller wouldn't work right).
Old 2009.06.03, 06:18 AM   #38
golem09

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
But in Natal you can grab something and use it as the controller, more or less. At least that was what I understood. Imagine you have a plastic sword, Natal can detect you're holding it and use it in a sword-game.
There's also a chance they develop some kind of controller until it's released, I guess...
1. The PS3 controller is 100 times more accurate than Natal
2. You need buttons to play most games.

btw:

???

Watch till the end

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.06.03, 06:25 AM   #39
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

2. You need buttons to play most games.
But Natal won't replace the XBOX pad :x
Natal is just "another" controller. I believe you'll always have the option to chose with which controller you want to play the game with. Like, you can play racing games with a pad or you can buy a steering-wheel controller. And now you'll also have Natal.
In the Natal presentation they showed a game like Buzz, where you simply press your hands like if you were pressing an imaginary button. From what I can understand, this means you can use either your hands or an actual pad to press the button.

EDIT: Kojima is awesome xD
Thanks for the video, I had read about his appearance in that series but never saw it.
Old 2009.06.03, 06:33 AM   #40
Inaudible-Whisper

In what way? Natal reads movement at 60 FPS in 3D and is capable of accurately tracking the entire body almost flawlessly. If you twitch a finger Natal will track it.

Updated the Op with the Sony and Nintendo news.