Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.07.26, 05:03 PM   #51
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
I still think Just Can't Help It was laid-back because of the "adult" theme
What is the "Adult" theme again? Acting stoic and bored one moment and then like children (Service) the next? "Laid back" like C'mon Let's Go!, Kenka Joutou, Honnou, and Kabuki were? Sure, certain songs were meant to be laid back and yet others weren't. The whole concert wasn't laid back and to give them that excuse for lacking the Phase 1 energy is just wrong. They simply don't have it in them.

Regarding Countdown Japan: it wasn't much better, but Uki was even more sloppy than Hirama when he tried to add energy to the songs.
Old 2007.07.26, 05:11 PM   #52
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

laid-back is one way to say it...another could be...neutered.

Being that we seem to be moving away from Uki v. Hirama and more to phase 1 v. phase 2, I think its incredibly myopic to say phase 1 is any more a rock act than phase 2. Phase 1 gave us Jyuusui, Sounan, Genjitsu, Kao, Kokoro...the majority of their songs not "clearly" being rock. Phase 2 gave us Superstar, the Barbee Boys cover, Get it up for Love. Now, this isn't meant to say phase 2 is moreso 'rock' than phase 1, but that neither were any more or less than the other. (however, in mine and many people's books, theyre still a "rock" act.

I think where the perception comes about is in the band itself...well 1 was just the better band. It was far more cohesive than the current line-up was -- and sure phase 1 had already 1 tour under their belts, so hey, here's to the new line-up getting their act together. Certainly I think Dynamite Out was a better performance than EM, so maybe the next lie dvd will show some (hopefuly great) improvement. Also, i think the band was better directed in phase 1 than 2. That's a big factor in a band, especially when you've had a shake-up like 2 members defecting happen. Shiina just hasn't seemed "in it to win it" since -- at least thats the case since they started their tour. Compare Shiina in Dynamite Out to either Virgin Line or JCHI. Shiina has the whole crowd in her hand, and is ready to crush them in one performance; in the other, she seems disconnected and not all "there," she wasn't taking command -- and say all you want about "oh their a band, not just Shiina" leadership is a BIG factor for any group of people. Shiina hasn't seemedin charge, she's seemed deferent and no one seems to bein the position to call the shots (Kameda did in the studio at least.)
And I'll tell you what, this "concentrate on my singing and not write a damn song" business isn't looking very promising (and no, this is not about "Osca.")
Old 2007.07.26, 06:39 PM   #53
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Haha, this discussion will never go anywhere. I obviously think Phase 2 is the better band... I think their sound is a huge improvement over Phase 1, and that everyone sounds better when playing together instead of one or two people trying to dominate. I think Ringo sounds better vocally, and in my opinion her appearance on stage isn't as annoying as it was in Dynamite Out. I think that while intense energy on stage may make a show more enjoyable in some ways, it's not a necessity, and having a more relaxed setting isn't a bad thing. Especially when the concert isn't solely focused on loud rock music.

Now, since we can't sway one another's opinions, it's time for a dance off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7jwlrdq3tM
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.26, 07:12 PM   #54
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
laid-back is one way to say it...another could be...neutered.

Being that we seem to be moving away from Uki v. Hirama and more to phase 1 v. phase 2, I think its incredibly myopic to say phase 1 is any more a rock act than phase 2. Phase 1 gave us Jyuusui, Sounan, Genjitsu, Kao, Kokoro...the majority of their songs not "clearly" being rock. Phase 2 gave us Superstar, the Barbee Boys cover, Get it up for Love. Now, this isn't meant to say phase 2 is moreso 'rock' than phase 1, but that neither were any more or less than the other. (however, in mine and many people's books, theyre still a "rock" act.

I think where the perception comes about is in the band itself...well 1 was just the better band. It was far more cohesive than the current line-up was -- and sure phase 1 had already 1 tour under their belts, so hey, here's to the new line-up getting their act together. Certainly I think Dynamite Out was a better performance than EM, so maybe the next lie dvd will show some (hopefuly great) improvement. Also, i think the band was better directed in phase 1 than 2. That's a big factor in a band, especially when you've had a shake-up like 2 members defecting happen. Shiina just hasn't seemed "in it to win it" since -- at least thats the case since they started their tour. Compare Shiina in Dynamite Out to either Virgin Line or JCHI. Shiina has the whole crowd in her hand, and is ready to crush them in one performance; in the other, she seems disconnected and not all "there," she wasn't taking command -- and say all you want about "oh their a band, not just Shiina" leadership is a BIG factor for any group of people. Shiina hasn't seemedin charge, she's seemed deferent and no one seems to bein the position to call the shots (Kameda did in the studio at least.)
And I'll tell you what, this "concentrate on my singing and not write a damn song" business isn't looking very promising (and no, this is not about "Osca.")
I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion to my side or anything like that but your comparisons between phase 1 and phase 2 are way too glorified. I hate having to defend something I love against something I love but you glorify Ringo's performance in DO a lot more because you like it more. I love it just as much as you but I also don't think that she's not "in it to win it" just because it was more laid back. You can criticize the style all you want but that is what it is; it's not a lack of anything, its just the style. I don't imagine you would not have hanged at Ringo's every word if you were at JCHI. And don't you think it also has to do with the fact that you don't like the music as much? I think that's the crux of this argument. Fluffie and I, who like phase 2 more, do not have a problem with the style of JCHI but you and the rest that like phase 1 more say its boring to you. If you liked the music as much then it would not be boring for you.

Also, I also call the band a rock band but you cannot tell me that Phase 1 was not a lot more rock sounding than phase 2. The main tracks that I attribute to phase 1 are Gunjou Biyori, Sounan, Jusui Negai and Ringo no uta, and what are they, loud rock songs. Phase 2 obviously has its share of rock songs, probably even the same number, but in my opinion, phase 1 was a lot harder, louder, rock music than phase 2.

I think Ringo sounds better vocally, and in my opinion her appearance on stage isn't as annoying as it was in Dynamite Out.
I would never ever ever ever say her appearance/performance in DO was annoying. EVER.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.20 at 07:25 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.26, 07:31 PM   #55
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Sounan and Jyuusui aren't very "rawk" tho? Theyre good, and Jyuusui was great live -- and was more loud. But theyre not quite Gunjo and Ringo no Uta's vein. (And since when are Jyuusui and Ringo no Uta main tracks of phase 1?? =P Yume no Ato and Genjitsu no Warau, I'd think)

Shiina's demeanor has NOTHING to do with it being laid-back. You can definitely be commanding, have bravado if you're playing a folk song in a small smoky club -- let alone playing jazzy numbers. Jazz was made to steal the stage. Shiina didn't have the same swagger that she even had in EM or Haitsuku Status(as awkward as it was.) And please please review JCHI before you refer to it as laid back anymore. Theres nothing laid back about scorching pillars of fire --or Himitsu. Honnou, Superstar, heck Mirrorball, Tramp and Dynamite. If they were supposed to be laid back renditions -- they failed miserably. Now "held back" is a different matter... If they were performing ore in the vein of Rakujitsu then I could see. HOWEVVA, having a choreographed number ("service") is about as far from laid-back as it gets. So please.
Old 2007.07.26, 07:39 PM   #56
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

yea I think sounan and jusui negai are VERY rock and that's what I love about them. I guess we just have different definitions of rock. They both have their ups and downs which is what is awesome about them. I guess you don't think they are "RAWK" because its not more of a constant thrashing(?) like in Ringo no Uta and Gunjo Biyori? Or slower pace? But I think that Jusui negai and Sounan are definately "RAWK". Those four songs in the opening of the album rock my socks off every time. EVERYevery SINGLEsingle TIMEtime..

As far as the style goes, whatever you call it I think that was just a style. I don't think it means that they don't have the "guts" to rock out but not enough songs that rock as hard as before. I guess after the new tour you could say they don't have it in them to "command" the same as before since it will be a consistent thing, but right not I hold firmly that it was the way they chose to perform.

Also, is it Jyusui or Nyusui? I've seen both in different websites.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.07.26 at 07:44 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.26, 07:43 PM   #57
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Whatever.
Hirama is better looking than Ukigumo.
Old 2007.07.26, 08:02 PM   #58
fluffiethesock

I've actually wondered about that a couple times before. Is he really better looking? I heard lots of people say Hirama is unattractive, but I haven't heard much about Uki's appearance.
Old 2007.07.26, 08:19 PM   #59
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

... I heard lots of people say Hirama is unattractive, but I haven't heard much about Uki's appearance.
Because they don't notice that Uki is there in the first place?

Seriously, look at Hirama's hair! Long luscious silky shiny (and nicer than mine). (WHYYY did he cut it away ) Uki's hair looks like it's got glue in it in most pictures that I've seen of his. Apparently, he (Uki) doesn't wash his hair.
Old 2007.07.26, 08:26 PM   #60
fluffiethesock

Aside from their hair, how do they look? My female friends / gay friend tell me that I should be able to recognize if a guy is good-looking or not, but I really don't have that ability. PS - I do like Hirama's hair, but I think Uki's is neat in JCHI too.