Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.08.12, 09:22 AM   #21
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I'm excited about the swimming this year because of Michael Phelps. It was amazing watching the USA rally from behind to beat France in the 4x100 after that trash talk from the French. I'm also looking forward to the track stuff because I used to run.

I'm sure the US is going to win the gold in basketball, but I have to wonder if they would be better off starting Chris Paul and Dwyane Wade instead of Kidd and Kobe. CP hasn't looked any better than Kidd, but he's still a much more dynamic player at this point of their careers. Wade simply plays better with this team than Kobe. Wade and LeBron seem to have good chemistry when they're both on the court.

The time difference actually working out pretty good for me. Sure I miss basketball when it's on at 8AM, but I get to see everything else since I'm a night person.
I'm sure part of the reason why those guys are not starting is because of the fact that they were a part of the bronze team. Kobe and Kidd was brought in to bring legitimacy to the team, only makes sense to start them. KB and Kidd are both much more solid than CP and Wade defensively, and is there a need to start Wade when he's getting minutes and shots off the bench?

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.12, 09:47 AM   #22
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
I'm sure part of the reason why those guys are not starting is because of the fact that they were a part of the bronze team. Kobe and Kidd was brought in to bring legitimacy to the team, only makes sense to start them. KB and Kidd are both much more solid than CP and Wade defensively, and is there a need to start Wade when he's getting minutes and shots off the bench?
Huh? CP wasn't on the 2004 team... : \ That first sentence confuses me. Carmelo was on the bronze team and he's starting so what does being on the bronze team have anything to do with starting? "Legitimacy" would have been brought to the team as long as they brought real PG's instead Stephon Marbury and playing Wade out of position.

If Kobe is going to start, we need him to shoot better. 0-8 on 3-pointers is not going to cut it.
Old 2008.08.12, 12:01 PM   #23
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Huh? CP wasn't on the 2004 team... : \ That first sentence confuses me. Carmelo was on the bronze team and he's starting so what does being on the bronze team have anything to do with starting? "Legitimacy" would have been brought to the team as long as they brought real PG's instead Stephon Marbury and playing Wade out of position.

If Kobe is going to start, we need him to shoot better. 0-8 on 3-pointers is not going to cut it.
Hmm, guess I confused the roster, for some reason I remember D. Williams or CP having something to do with Olympic events in the past. Perhaps they were part of the warm up teams or missed a cut somewhere along the process.

I still think 2004 is part of the reason why Kobe and Kidd is starting instead of Wade. The 2004 guards were criticized, that's why they brought in Kobe and Kidd. Yea, Wade has been better statiscally, but I'll still give Kobe the edge. Kidd is starting because he is the veteran and the fact that he led the team during the qualifying games. You don't change starting line ups from game to game depending on who is doing well. And we've gone up against two relatively weak teams, let's see how they fare against Greece before we decide who deserves to be on the starting lineup.

Carmelo is starting, but I think he was the lone bright spot of that 2004 team, no?

Nobody on the team is a true shooter except for Redd, but it really shouldn't matter. That international three point line is just a long two. They're probably just not used to shooting a threepointer from that distance, there's no other explanation cause they are getting the looks.

Edit - Ahh, I remember now, It was Lebron who was stuck on the bench for long stretches because of Larry Brown, not DW or CP.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.12, 12:02 PM   #24
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

What the fuck guys.

I don't know what's happening in other countries, but in my country TV news couldn't be more shitty about the Olympics Opening Ceremony.
Yesterday they reported, like it was some great discovery worth of Breaking News, that the footage with the firework-footsteps that walked to the stadium was, in fact, computer generated. As if you couldn't tell by the time you watched it! I have to give credit to the people that made this wonderful discovery.
But what really pisses me off, is that, first, they consider this "news worthy", second, they started by telling "What you saw in the astonishing opening ceremony wasn't IN FACT all real...".
Now, am I supposed to feel tricked by the chinese people? Is that it? It's really wrong to use CGI in television these days, I GUESS.

But it doesn't end here. Today, they insisted in continuing with the careful research and FOUND OUT that the little girl that sang in the opening ceremony WAS NOT actually singing but doing (embrace for impact) PLAYBACK!
I am shocked, seriously. I really couldn't tell she was doing playback, even if the mouth didn't match the voice, I just couldn't tell! What a fucken liberty!
And again they presented it with, more or less, the same words: "After all, there are even more things that weren't real in the opening ceremony...!" Which makes me think they are on a quest to discredit the event and the chinese people.
I know they are failing miserably, because those two things (the CGI and the playback) were obvious to anyone AND are commonly/constantly used in TV shows/events nowadays. And it's certainly not the first time Playback was used during a Olympic Opening Ceremony, because it's usually safer to rely on a pre-recorded song than rely in the nervousism of a singer in front of billions of people that can ruin a perfectly scheduled event.
However, even if I AM aware of the stupidity of these news, I can bet the amount of people that are going to get influenced by this and THAT pisses me off. But then again, every other news is as stupid as this and people DO get influenced and that's why I don't watch TV except on rare ocasions.
I hate television.

EDIT: Oh, and btw, I'm not talking about some sensasionalist kind of TV News. I'm talking about the news from the public service chanel, a chanel that is regulated by the government.

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2008.08.12 at 12:05 PM.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.12, 12:18 PM   #25
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
But it doesn't end here. Today, they insisted in continuing with the careful research and FOUND OUT that the little girl that sang in the opening ceremony WAS NOT actually singing but doing (embrace for impact) PLAYBACK!
I am shocked, seriously. I really couldn't tell she was doing playback, even if the mouth didn't match the voice, I just couldn't tell! What a fucken liberty!
I'm honestly disgusted. I don't care that the song was lip-synched, but she didn't even sing the recording. They found this girl to do the ceremony because the real singer "wasn't cute enough" and that's pretty fucked up.
Old 2008.08.12, 12:44 PM   #26
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

I'm honestly disgusted. I don't care that the song was lip-synched, but she didn't even sing the recording. They found this girl to do the ceremony because the real singer "wasn't cute enough" and that's pretty fucked up.
"The song was recorded beforehand by another young girl, Yang Peiyi, who was replaced by Lin Miaoke to perform at the ceremony because she had buck teeth."

I don't really have a right-or-wrong opinion about this, because we also see this happen all the time. Ugly people don't get a chance in a singing career, in most countries. And by "ugly" I mean "not-standardly-pretty".
Altough it's wrong to use her voice and not herself. But I'm confident that she or her parents received a lot of money to compensate.
I think it's natural to want to pick the most beautiful things to show to foreign people, but I also agree that there's a big chance they could have found a pretty AND good-singing young girl.

But the point here is... Does that neglect the rest of the show?
Old 2008.08.12, 12:56 PM   #27
RollOverHobo

RollOverHobo pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
What the fuck guys.

I don't know what's happening in other countries, but in my country TV news couldn't be more shitty about the Olympics Opening Ceremony.
Yesterday they reported, like it was some great discovery worth of Breaking News, that the footage with the firework-footsteps that walked to the stadium was, in fact, computer generated. As if you couldn't tell by the time you watched it! I have to give credit to the people that made this wonderful discovery.
But what really pisses me off, is that, first, they consider this "news worthy", second, they started by telling "What you saw in the astonishing opening ceremony wasn't IN FACT all real...".
Now, am I supposed to feel tricked by the chinese people? Is that it? It's really wrong to use CGI in television these days, I GUESS.

And again they presented it with, more or less, the same words: "After all, there are even more things that weren't real in the opening ceremony...!" Which makes me think they are on a quest to discredit the event and the chinese people.
I know they are failing miserably, because those two things (the CGI and the playback) were obvious to anyone AND are commonly/constantly used in TV shows/events nowadays. And it's certainly not the first time Playback was used during a Olympic Opening Ceremony, because it's usually safer to rely on a pre-recorded song than rely in the nervousism of a singer in front of billions of people that can ruin a perfectly scheduled event.
However, even if I AM aware of the stupidity of these news, I can bet the amount of people that are going to get influenced by this and THAT pisses me off. But then again, every other news is as stupid as this and people DO get influenced and that's why I don't watch TV except on rare ocasions.
I hate television.

EDIT: Oh, and btw, I'm not talking about some sensasionalist kind of TV News. I'm talking about the news from the public service chanel, a chanel that is regulated by the government.

That was really confusing....I mean I watched the NBC coverage of the Opening Ceremony and I thought the commentators actually SAY that those foot steps were CGI...I was surprised when everyone else was surprised that it wasn't real....and it was recorded live (even though I got to see it at 8 PM MY [New York] time) so I thought everyone knew....idk ?_?
Old 2008.08.12, 01:21 PM   #28
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Originally Posted by RollOverHobo View Post
That was really confusing....I mean I watched the NBC coverage of the Opening Ceremony and I thought the commentators actually SAY that those foot steps were CGI...I was surprised when everyone else was surprised that it wasn't real....and it was recorded live (even though I got to see it at 8 PM MY [New York] time) so I thought everyone knew....idk ?_?
Yep, like I said, I don't know what is being reported in other countries. I know that here, they are reportin that "info" as being an important news and as if it was something people didn't knew. Seriously, I totally spotted the CGI when I was watching it live, as most people that were with me.
I think they are just trying to pick anything they can to destroy the importance and amazingness of the opening ceremony, for reasons "unknown"...
Old 2008.08.12, 09:16 PM   #29
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I'm not sure how it looks on analog TV but on BBC HD where the "real world" picture is crystal clear, you could tell those footprints were CGI!! no matter how good they get it you can always tell! theres just something about it.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.12, 10:05 PM   #30
waxringo

waxringo has had more than 15 seconds of fame

AHAHHAHA....omg...
anyways. that whole little girl lip-synching another person's song thing just cracks me up......so what?
anyways.
yea...im so on top of the michael phelps thing. he's already received 4 golds which is awesome enough....and he is up for 4 more...and he has reached WR status 25 times in his career, which 1 more and he will set the WR for WRs...ahahah! he's so kickass.
I have been watching everything that is played....
but i mostly watch gymnastics, swimming, diving, athletics, rowing, etc etc
really...i watch anything and everything that they put on that is associated w the olympics.
i'm a member on suicide girls and always in the video chat...and myself and a few other members are all about the olympics(one of which lives 20mins away and is my best friend and the other lives a few hours away) people watching all of our cams at once are prolly like...wtf
and if the usa does well or wins, its us all jumping up and down or if they do poorly, its just a chatroom filled with cursewords. its hilarious. my one friend and i decided we are going to the 2012 olympics(which will be in london) and it would definitely be a huge dream of mine....as guests of course..lol