Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.06.29, 11:22 PM   #41
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

that's funny. i don't really know anything about tori other than, according to your sig, she's abnormally attracted to sin which is why i said that bit about her. why did she kick those people out?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.29, 11:45 PM   #42
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

cuz they were being morons at her show, more or less.

tori always has the first row tickets day of the show and she gives them to various fans, people who got shitty seats in back, or people who she knows, etc etc. basically, there is no one sitting in front row who tori didn't put there herself. she doesn't always KNOW these people, she just thinks they are dedicated fans or nice people. however, sometimes people turn out to be assholes. the girls in question were acting rudely during the show, repeatedly getting up and leaving, screaming, dancing ontop of other people, all sorts of shit. it got so distracting tori noticed and kicked them out.

she also kicked out security guards at the venue who were trying to stop fans from dancing at another show, and threw her shoe at some guy in bratislava who was harrassing her.

underlying point: don't mess with her, haha.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 07:40 AM   #43
HEDOfloe

niice. she's rude herself, but i respect her reasons. maybe if i were a fan, i'd think it's badass.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2009.06.30 at 05:55 PM.
Old 2009.06.30, 03:18 PM   #44
kuro_neko

its not really rude. I mean, she is there to put on a good show for the entire audience. how is she supposed to concentrate with drunken morons catcalling and disrupting other fans less than 15 feet from where she sits? You don't think artists are aware of their audiences, but Tori especially is aware of the prescence in the front of the venue. I've met her and had her recognize me from the crowd before.
Old 2009.06.30, 03:23 PM   #45
HEDOfloe

it's not that i don't think artists are aware of the audience, of course they are. i just meant that "get the fuck out of here" isn't exactly polite. she could have just had the security get them out. i understand that she was mad, though. it just seemed over-dramatic in a showy way.

it's probably because of the people i know that like her and the whole attitude around her that make me feel she's bitchy and that video added to that. but as i said, it's just a non-fan way of seeing it. if ringo did that, i'd say, "fucking right, get those fuckers out of there".

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2009.06.30 at 03:29 PM.
Old 2009.06.30, 05:39 PM   #46
kuro_neko

hahaha, well, Tori is a bit of a nut. that is what the fans love though, I suppose. the press picked up this very clip and ran it with the slant that tori was being a diva and kicking good fans out of the show, but those in the know knew the real deal. she is hilarious in interviews, her mouth is a bit loose. hearing words like "fuck" isn't such a big deal coming from tori.

this is one of my absolute favorites ever.

toxic shock syndrome
Old 2009.07.01, 03:13 AM   #47
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Finally got round to listening to this album. Quite enjoyed it. In a nutshell:

Loved - 1st 3 tracks, Mother Goose

Liked - Zutto, Kodomo no joukei, Good day good bye

Ambivalent/Wtf? - Tarinsu
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.05, 02:40 PM   #48
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I was compatible with Murasaki, liked its lounge-y pop sound, and TR very occasionally sounded like Saint Etienne's Sarah Cracknell so was interested in this one too. Plus for whatever reason Cappuccino and Shampoo appealed as much as SR's most celebrated material. I'm obviously naturally attuned to SR's early composition style and don't care who sings it or which songs I'm meant to find important or return to.

Zutto is the one that sounds like the rest of Murasaki although it would be one of my least favourites from that album (insofar as I didn't just tune out critical responses and let it drift happily over me). The chord changes at 2:40-2:48 on Zutto are good.

Toridori is really subdued, isn't it? If you were expecting sparkly 60s-ish party songs from the cover you'd be disappointed, Tokai no Manaa's the only thing with a pulse. The verse melody of Kodomo no Joukei holds me more than anything else on the album, SR or Izawa might make classical music quotations elsewhere in the song but I don't know how to spot them. I could be unkind and hear it as another accomplished genre piece from SR after Mittei Monogatari (it's a lullaby and it's lulling) but it's a little more evocative than that, there's an odd sadness maybe.

Curtain Fall and the shoegaze-y Mother Goose are not quite my kind of ballads, but I can understand if people love them, they're good.

Obligatory response to the TJ: continuation of the Variety songwriter form for me, and they do stand out as an odd band next to other, pleasant-sounding songs. Uki's warm, RnB-ish Mezame is the more instantly appealing but even if I tune out the cliches and cheap stab sounds it's only a song I half like, half don't, especially the melodic misstep "inside me" and "baby..." Tarinsu is Variety-ish with Uki's fidgety guitar in full effect and it's like a children's song. It's well-meaning and I'm incapable of disliking anything with handclaps, but I kind of don't know why I'm listening to it (a few words that sum up my experience of Jihen post-Adult). Actually the guitar solo is weird and doesn't fit...?
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.05, 08:20 PM   #49
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Zutto sounds like Murasaki? Fuuuck, I might have to get the rest of Murasaki now...
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.07, 01:55 PM   #50
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Zutto sounds like Murasaki? Fuuuck, I might have to get the rest of Murasaki now...
*Posting somehow through dead internet connection* Actually my point about rest-of-Murasaki being a bit like Zutto followed on from kuro_neko's about the same person working on TR's first album. But apparently (the things I don't know about idol actresses turned singers) her first album's called un, so maybe it's un you'd want, I can't find any references for who that person is...(?) I've given Murasaki a quick play and Zutto does remind me of Pearlgray Snowdance, Futari no Seijanai, Itoshii Toki but I couldn't give false hope of it being a Zutto album. Of course I could just be discussing a load of commercial easy listening filler with myself here but I liked it...

Also I wouldn't call Kodomo no Joukei essential SR, but that melody has got under my skin quite a bit. It's like a classical piano piece.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote