Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.05.11, 05:29 AM   #51
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

I think it's a positive thing to include motion graphics with the audio. The DVD-A is still in its infancy, and as such, a lot of mistakes are bound to be made, while people experiment different ways to handle the format. To add insult to injury, if Blue-Ray wins the format wars against HD-DVD, pretty soon we will have to wrestle with yet another new format. Maybe the next Jihen live release will be in Blue-Ray?

This is a time of transition, where the "middle ground" that was the CD is being discarded in favor of "extreme solutions"... there's the people buying the crappy 128 khz mp3 for portability, and there's the people seeking high-quality audio in 24/96. and 5.1 surround. The typical idea of "album" is changing, and diversifying. Even Beck's album, The Information, gives hints of new possibilities for the album "format" to explore.

I can understand the hinderance of motion graphics in an audiophile release, in the sense that people who never read the book of "Lord Of The Rings" before seeing the movie, will forever be contaminated by the imagery of the movie. They can no longer use their own imagination when they read the book later. But if I've already experienced the original and formed my own mental imagery, then I feel pleased that I have the chance to view a re-interpretation of the songs by other designers and animators. I really like the possibilities of music that is reinterpreted by other people, thus adding new meanings. Personally, I probably wouldn't have ordered the dvd if it was just the audio and nothing else. But it's sad that audiophiles cannot enjoy the work stripped of the imagery, unless they do the work themselves. I guess in the next media format like Blue-Ray, these situations should be addressed to add flexibility to the final product.
Old 2007.05.11, 08:11 AM   #52
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

*Blu-ray

Apparently, Sony is too cool for the "e" - or maybe it was just to avoid copywrite laws. Who knows?
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.11, 08:35 AM   #53
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

I stand corrected. thanks for informing me of my error*
Old 2007.06.04, 10:39 AM   #54
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Dang it, finding this forum just cost me $40. But I know it'll be worth it. As soon as I saw Glanth's stat about 1.6GB for the stereo audio I went and bought it. Genius such as hers deserves to be well listened to.

I can't believe I missed this release... I usually pre-order everything of hers from cdjapan, and I grabbed the HF album (normal version) the instant it was announced. I'm glad I was still able to get the limited edition. *sigh of relief*

Too bad I have to wait until next year to be able to listen to it on my nice studio monitors. Until then I may as well just listen to my 320kbps mp3s. I may just cry.

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.04, 12:48 PM   #55
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

isn't time to move this thread to the "product reviews & information" forum?!

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.13, 10:12 AM   #56
Seth

Seth pleased at least somebody

Oh, wow. It wouldn't be a lie to say that this was worth it for the packaging. Wow.
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.28, 06:08 AM   #57
merman

merman is an asset to this community

i have a technical question...
how can i rip the audio to 96khz? because every time i attempted it, i only got noise or silence as a result. i was able to rip the audio to 48khz, but then i can hear the quality loss sometimes, even though it's mostly good. so if anyone can help me out here, i'd be grateful (because i find it unpractical to pop in the disc into my computer if i want to listen to the daiginjo mix)

on the edition itself, WOW. it's really probably the most beautiful packaging that sits on my shelf. really the only complaint i would have would be the booklet (not the spread one), particularly the way the pages are bound. you can't really open it all the way because then you'd practically destroy it. which is a shame, because i think the booklet is beautiful and i'd like to be able to really feast my eyes upon it.
as for the contents of the dvd itself, i like it much better than i ever though i would. i was buying it mostly for the music, but i think the motion graphics are really wicked! i don't think it's all THAT expensive for what you get, at least i think i really got value for my money.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.28, 08:05 AM   #58
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

What you're talking about, is what happens with true DVD-As. Heisei Fuuzoku Daiginjou has the quality of a DVD-A, but without the copy protections unique to DVD-A. This disc employs the standard CSS you'd overcome if you were ripping a regular DVD movie.

I've used DVD Decrypter myself, and it had no problem pulling the 96kHz/24bit PCM off of this disc other than calling it "0xA0 - Audio - LPCM / 2ch / Unknown (1)kHz / 24bit / Japanese", but despite that confusion, it created 96kHz/24bit WAVs just fine. And my studio monitors convey it with audibly the same richness as the 96kHz/24bit you can buy at e-Onkyo, so I'm assuming DVD Decrypter didn't overestimate its own ripping potential and bloat out 48kHz (what the proprietary DVD-A protection will 'let' you have) into 96kHz that sounds the same but takes up more space. There are some protections DVD Decrypter can't overcome (since it's not being updated anymore), but it never fabricates files to be more than the apparent quality of what it actually grabbed, so if it only could rip 48kHz of the true 96kHz PCM quality, it would give you 48kHz PCM files.

My only problem with ripping this DVD, is that the DTS (only available for three tracks - kind of as a bonus feature) seems to be 48kHz. Could be that it has extra protection and the PCM doesn't, and the full 96kHz of the DTS is hidden away (DVD-A style) from mere mortal ripping methods, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the 48kHz I'm pulling, except that it's already compressed (as all DTS is). Most peoples' players of choice won't handle standalone DTS files, and it's bastardly to transcode to some other kind of lossy, and impractical to convert to lossless. I still don't know what I think about that 48kHz DTS (96kHz was advertised), when the PCM seems so unprotected.
Old 2007.11.28, 09:01 AM   #59
merman

merman is an asset to this community

thanks! so kind of you, that much explanation
i've never ripped a dvd, so i'll have to look a bit into this, but i already have the dvd decrypter tool downloaded, so it'll only take a minute of googling. also thanks for explaining the ripping limitations, i guess i'd be confused by that.
however, as you see i can't help you on the DTS videos... however two of the three are already included on the main feature, and if i remember correctly, la salle de bain is on the last seiteki healing dvd. isn't it possible to rip it in a higher quality from there? (as i don't own the dvd, i don't know what sound systems it supports)
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.28, 07:08 PM   #60
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Well, the DTS isn't exactly included within "The Main Feature". They created a separate DVD Title (think of DVD Titles as meta-tracks - it's used to split up overall features while each featurette can have their own tracks or "Chapters" within) for just the segments that featured DTS, even if that meant duplicate video footage. There's optional 48kHz/16bit PCM stereo associated with this separate Title of three Chapters, just like the main and the only form of audio you find on all the other Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen DVDs (except for Gekukojyo Xtasy - which is the only other DVD that stands out). "The Main Feature" with its own Title, is 96kHz/24bit stereo PCM only, and it's all crossfaded.

You need to set your Options > IFO to split files by Chapter, then you need to do Stream Processing, uncheck everything but the audio, and while highlighting the audio, select Demux. I really should come up with a tutorial for this, with pictures and all, but I've been pressed for time lately. Basically you do that and you end up with a bunch of WAVs that most software still won't understand because software is more accustomed to dealing with 48kHz or 44.1kHz. DVD Decrypter will have no problem extracting the raw audio, but then you still need other programs to compress and tag it (unless you like WAV - but I tend to look at it as a nontaggable bloated waste of space).

If you've never singled out the audio in a DVD rip before, this isn't the most rewarding disc for you to start off with, due to the crossfading. If you want standalone audio in 96kHz/24bit, I suggest you check out e-Onkyo. The only problem (aside from needing to deal with registration/purchase pages in Japanese) is you need Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player in order to perform the purchase, and this is all because of Digital Rights Management that Windows seamlessly takes care of in the background. Unless you break the DRM (and there are ways - depending upon what version of Windows and WMP you have - newer usually means less chance), you can only play the purchased songs in Windows Media Player, and only on the system you purchased those songs with. If and when you break the DRM, the tracks truly are lossless 96kHz/24bit, and you can convert them to WAVs or any kind of unprotected lossless you want, though most forms of lossless specialize in 44.1kHz/16bit. WavPack is the undisputed king of high samplerate lossless compression, in terms of how much the audio has been squeezed, versus how smoothly it plays. At lower resolution (like 44.1kHz/16bit), most audiophiles prefer FLAC.