Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2007.05.26, 09:25 PM   #121
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

All above-stated "helpers" are why I really, really didn't like Oblivion.

In my mind, Morrowind is the epitome of the Elder Scrolls series, with Daggerfall and Oblivion as the extreme examples (Daggerfall being too open-ended and Oblivion being too linear).
Old 2007.05.26, 11:11 PM   #122
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

So far I am very inexperienced in western RPGs. Oblivion is my first one, so I just like it^^
Anyway, I already bought Morrowind and I'm planning on playing it... well after Oblivion.

But what "helpers" do you mean? The main quest NPCs?

One think I really like about Oblivion is the new conversation and lock breaking system. I am a barde so I'm specialized on talking and breaking locks XD

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2007.05.26 at 11:19 PM.
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.27, 08:11 AM   #123
CatchFiveBats

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Actually, the main quest is pretty linear. You get told exactly where to go, and what to do and you can jump straight to those areas without having to trek across the vast landscape. Plus, no matter what it'll always be fair as the enemies stick to your level, so if you're weak, they'll compensate with less and weaker enemies. Thus you can stick with the main quest without the fear of having to do side quests to level up. Plus, I find that once you've completed the main quest which isn't as long as you'd might think you'll actually want to explore the rest of the world.
Originally Posted by Maou View Post
^ Actually, the whole game has markers telling you where to go and what to do. The game feels much less open and intimidating because of those markers.
The things mentioned in those two quotes are the "helpers" I was talking about. Most of the fun of Morrowind, for me, was that you were only given a slight nudge to progress in the main storyline, so you could explore the world at your own leisure. If you really wanted to, you could have 100+ hours of gameplay and avoid the main storyline altogether (which is possible in Oblivion, but that probably wouldn't happen by accident). I've talked to people who played Morrowind for months and never even realized that a main storyline existed.

On the other hand, Oblivion makes it so easy to get into the main storyline that you probably won't end up exploring the world until afterwards. Way too restricting to feel like an Elder Scrolls game, IMO...
Old 2007.05.27, 09:29 AM   #124
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I can see where you're coming from, but it is all down to choice. I liked the fact that if I chose to do the main quest, I knew I just had to go to a specific place, however I still spent a good 15-20 hours beforehand doing random quests and finding random dungeons. I even did so accidentally. I rarely jump across the map. I like to ride along, finding all of the hidden places on the way, and often even when I'd decide to go do part of the main quest it would take me hours to get there because I'd end up stopping at a dozen places on the way.

I like that fact that the main quest is so in-your-face obvious, because it is such a small part of the game, so it is something I can always go and do if I get bored. Plus, how linear it may seem is down to how much experience you have had playing similar games. If you haven't played anything like Oblivion, it may seem like the least linear game in the world. Hence Fluffie saying "That kind of RPG is just too open-ended (and huge) for me to have any fun." about Oblivion. If you have some experience, Oblivion might seem a little linear in comparison to past incarnations, hence CatchFiveBats saying "Daggerfall being too open-ended and Oblivion being too linear".
Old 2007.05.27, 03:33 PM   #125
golem09

I have no problems with exploration at all. All I did for the mainquest so far was to speak with the first main quest npc after the intro. And I have already played 12 hours. Just because I know where to go if I choose to follow the main quest, that doesn't mean that I will do it immediately. But still I'm very curious to try out Morrowind for some time. I just can't leave my thief class, but I want to try out wizard, too. Maybe first Oblivion as a thief and then Oblivion as a wizard. One of my friend NEVER ever plays anything but thief, and he said to me that Morrowind sucks when playing thief.

MyAnimelist
Old 2007.05.27, 03:53 PM   #126
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

- You fight like a dairy farmer.
- How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.27, 04:02 PM   #127
CatchFiveBats

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
One of my friend NEVER ever plays anything but thief, and he said to me that Morrowind sucks when playing thief.
I played up to level 42 with a thief character in Morrowind...and yeah, it was pretty boring. : /
Old 2007.05.30, 09:38 AM   #128
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

In case Tomb Raider Legend left a bad taste in your gaming mouth, I'd like to assure you that Tomb Raider Anniversary is fucking awesome. It's everything good about the original game mixed with everything good about Legend. No tank controls/grid system + no Chip and Allistor = gaming goodness.
Old 2007.05.30, 10:16 AM   #129
golem09

I only played Tomb Raider 2 for some time, the franchise was never able to catch me

MyAnimelist
Old 2007.06.15, 07:01 PM   #130
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Guitar Hero can suck my balls. Rock Band is about to blow it away.

From Game Informer Magazine:

- One disk with 4 separate campaigns. Guitar, Drum, Bass and Vocal. Each can be played on its own from start to finish, in addition, a full band game is designed to allow for one huge co-op playthrough.

- Will feature full support for four player online play on both 360 and PS3. Any combination of on/offline play will work and each player can pick their own difficulty setting.

- Guitar is on the left side of the screen, Bass on the right and drums down the middle. Vocals scroll from right to left along the top of the screen.

- Guitars and Bass now have 10 frets. 5 for the regular sections of the game and 5 for the newly designated solo sections.

- Whammy bar is back as is the tilt to activate rock band's version of star power

- there is a five way switch on the guitar that allows for 5 different self-applied effects to the sound.

- Singing is more in depth than the likes of Sing Star. There is a phoneme detector that will pick up individual vowels and consonants you say (So you can't just hum along). Build up enough highly judged phrases and you'll be able to sing free-style. If you do well enough in free-style, then you'll trigger the vocalist's version of star power.

- Microphone doubles as a tambourine on many songs to combat super long guitar solos where the singer doesn't have much to do (Tap mic on hand or shake).

- Drums are apparently insane. You use actual sticks and hit one of four colored pads in front of you, in addition to a kick pedal attached to the drumming unit. Drummers will also have the ability to do fills etc. in their own little free-form section, do well and you'll trigger the drummers version of star power.

- If one person fails, the whole band does not fail, their section simply turns gray and they have to sit out the rest of the song unless one your band mates initiates star power, which will bring you back into the fold.

- If all bandmates can reach the end of a song, you'll be greeted with one huge free-form jam session.

- There will be a character creation system, and you can create multiple avatars that play different instruments.

- Four themed clothing stores in addition to licensed guitars and pedals and other rock paraphernalia.

- A full set of mo-cap stage movements have been added for each instrument. You can decide whether your vocalist moves like Axel Rose, or stands his ground like Clapton.

- 40 performance venues planned

- All peripherals will be unique to each platform. This isn't the developer's decision. Apparently MS peripherals require special circuit boards.

- You'll be able to craft your own band logo

INSTRUMENT DESCRIPTIONS

Guitars/Bass

Guitars are an exact 3/4 replica of a Fender Strat.

Xplorer guitars will work for 360 owners, but you may not be able to pass on all the new stuff this model has (Effects and hard solos)

Five familiar buttons near the top of the neck for the majority of songs and five buttons near the body of the guitar. You will use these new buttons during specially designed solo sections using ONLY hammer ons and pull offs, no having to worry about your strum bar. When a hard solo kicks in just move down the neck of the guitar and press away.

- Signature Fender 5-way switch has been added. By shopping at the in game store you'll be able to purchase several virtual effects pedals such as Flange, Wah, Chorus and Echo. These can be applied during your song by setting the 5 way switch to the desired effect.

Microphone

There will eventually be a Rock Band branded Mic

Other USB mics will be supported, but Harmonix will probably NOT allow the use of the 360 headset due to its low fidelity. Mics will be usable as tambourines during certain songs.

DRUMS

It consists of four pads, a kick pedal and legs for the enire unit to stand on. (Not final).

Leftmost pad (red) is your snare drum, everything else doubles as toms and cymbals depending on the song.

A set of real wooden drum sticks will ship with the unit.

A piece of the stand can be taken off so that the unit can sit lower, or on a coffee table.

There is a kick pedal

If you play drums in this game on hard or expert, then you're really playing the drums (Hit for hit). Apparently you could sit down at a real set and play the same songs if you set them up the same.