Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.02.27, 08:14 AM   #691
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

A lot of them could be parts of medleys.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.02.28, 05:53 AM   #692
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Tokarev, Tokarev, Tokarev.

What an album.
Old 2015.02.28, 11:15 PM   #693
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Yufu Terashima (ex-BiS member) has her debut major label single coming out May 20.

Oomori is writing it.

Pretty cool, cause I've been enjoying all of Yufu's releases lately, she seems to have a knack to adapt with whatever genre/style her collaborators throw her way. She's cute as a button too.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.02.28 at 11:22 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.02, 06:01 AM   #694
deadgrandma

So, I've been listening to it for the last few days, and feel I know it well enough to jump in and give it an early review:

The Pink Tokarev and Seiko Oomori- Tokarev

Tokarev is the latest creation to come bubbling from the mind of Seiko Oomori, and as to be expected, it's another sound to add to her canon. Once again, for most of her fans, it's going to be unfathomably brilliant and most likely won't disappoint, unless of course you were expecting something like Sennou (but more on that later). So what the hell is this album?

Answered quite simply, it is an album by Oomori with her live backing band- and it is a much more 'rock' centric affair. It takes some of Oomori's key tunes and singles and delivers them loud, blasting and fast (for the most part). It is a wild ride and Oomori really lets her voice go when things get hot. The whole thing is quite a different approach from her last main solo studio album, Sennou, which was an homage to 90s idol pop- and seems to be the main direction she is happy to go in regarding her solo career.

While "new" songs only account for half of the tracks here, the arrangements on the older songs are so different and so intriguing to hear that it feels like a fully fledged new album. There is never a moment where you feel like you've 'heard it all before' unlike other albums that present old songs with new arrangements. The songs that ARE new here though, are wondrous new additions to the Oomori catalog and are probably some of the best she's ever released period. Wonderful World's End has never sounded better and it's great to finally get it in a studio version. Mikan no Uta has some of the most fiery vocals Oomori has ever delivered, and the accompanying music brings them to dizzying heights that leave this listener shaken.

The production is also quite amazing to behold, those that have heard or seen any Pink Tokarev live performances will be quite happy to hear how well their passion and fire has been captured in the studio, thanks to the higher budget afforded by being on a major label. Never does it feel softened or neutered, it almost feels like a live show. Every instrument is clear and given its space to shine.

As fellow EMF'er Tokyo Jihad had previously mentioned when Oomori was first coming into the social conscience, Tokarev, as with the Lai Lai Team collaboration will potentially find that those who may have struggled with Oomori's whims may just find this album to be the entry drug they need to get hooked, albeit this is quite harder hitting than Poi Dol.

In the end, the album serves as both an introduction to the band that had supported Oomori through her indie and early major years and also as a breakup or sendoff (or at least that's what Oomori is telling us right now anyway). It is played dirty and visceral; although the songs themselves are quite poppy, there is always an emotional tension. You can feel the band falling apart from the inside and it makes for an undeniably compelling and far more memorable listening experience than the average pop rock album by whatever young dashers are currently making the rounds. I haven't heard the sound of a band's dissolution captured so wonderfully since I first heard Big Star's Third/Sister Lovers yonks ago.

As exciting as it is heartbreaking, Tokarev is going to be spinning in my playlist for a while to come. Essential for Oomori fans, easier for those who are still confused by the whole thing and don't like idol pop. Maybe a tad disappointing for those utterly charmed by Sennou and craving more- I guess you'll just have to wait for solo LP 4 for that (which if her past record is to go on, will most likely be out later this year anyway...).

TL;DR:
A damn fine pop/rock album, made only more significant by the fact that if their breakup is to be believed, will be the one and only from The Pink Tokarev and Seiko Oomori.

ONLY NUMBERS MATTER:
8.5/10

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.03.02 at 06:17 AM.
Old 2015.03.02, 07:05 AM   #695
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I think the real question is, has the album been brought to a place where I can easily listen to it. AHEM. IVE BEEN WAITING, DG.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.04, 06:45 PM   #696
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Great album. The second half in particular is spectacular. As usual her voice remains the one biggest barrier that prevents me from wholeheartedly loving her as an artist but I have no doubt it will grow on me, at some point of time.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.04, 07:34 PM   #697
deadgrandma

On May 12, SEIKO OOMORI AND THE PINK TOKAREV will have their very final show at Shinjuku Loft.

My money's on a future DVD.

I also bet that this show will sell out in a heartbeat.

ALSO, for those so inclined: New goods in her online store/sold at her shows:

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.03.04 at 09:40 PM.
Old 2015.03.05, 02:08 AM   #698
deadgrandma

Who would dare wear this lol
Old 2015.03.05, 04:36 AM   #699
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Someone in Japan will definitely wear that.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.05, 06:17 AM   #700
Parsec

Parsec is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
On May 12, SEIKO OOMORI AND THE PINK TOKAREV will have their very final show at Shinjuku Loft.

My money's on a future DVD.

I also bet that this show will sell out in a heartbeat.
Woah, thanks for the heads up, hadn't noticed this.

I thought it had been too messy a break up for them to go on and play another show??

Anyone know what time of day tickets to this kind of show go on sale? Midnight? 9am?
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote