Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.08.05, 06:35 PM   #8541
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^^ were you being sarcastic when you said you don't know who that is?

Inseu, Mariko has no KZK. Or a Tamahime Sama.
Old 2013.08.05, 07:26 PM   #8542
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^I like every Midori album more than those 2.

中森明菜 少女A

song title inspired Jun Togawa's 少年A?
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.07, 08:56 PM   #8543
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
^^ were you being sarcastic when you said you don't know who that is?

Inseu, Mariko has no KZK. Or a Tamahime Sama.
nope, i really didn't know who that is, im subscribed to this youtube user caus he post tokyo jihen and other artist live concerts but always has a music symbol as the title so japan won't remove his vids

now that i know who the artist is, i will check out her discorg, hopefully it's at least half as impressive as shiina's
thanks inseu
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.07, 09:06 PM   #8544
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Her albums under Midori are pretty fucking tight, her solo album is more like what's in that video you posted (being that it's the tour from her solo album). That full video came as a bonus with the special edition of her latest single "sound of me" which I have a love/hate affair with. It bothers me how much more 'crazy' she is live (like the Mariko we have all grown to love) but she shows absolute restraint on studio versions under her solo name. Maybe it's all part of her persona.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.08.07 at 09:14 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.08, 07:12 AM   #8545
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Mariko is definitely making me feel like her artifice is more overt than some other artists. I can't help but see her as an idol now: all of her actions are calculated to get a specific reaction from her fans.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.08, 07:45 AM   #8546
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Mariko is definitely making me feel like her artifice is more overt than some other artists. I can't help but see her as an idol now: all of her actions are calculated to get a specific reaction from her fans.
Sounds familiar....=p
Old 2013.08.08, 06:14 PM   #8547
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I don't know what you've been smokin' but there's nothing deeper going on with Mariko. Nor do I feel like she's out to 'trick' anyone. She's always been open about wanting to follow the pop route, and well, she has delivered on that... she's alienated a bunch of Midori (but face it, a band like Midori wouldn't have lasted long at that trajectory anyway- might as well cut it off at its peak before it went shitty) fans in the process... However, that said, she still unleashes amazing "pop" (only by stucture, delivery and sensibilities are something else) music that leaves her contemporaries such as Yuki and Salyu in the fucking dust (in my humble opinion) without the need of fancy producers like Cornelius to make her music somewhat interesting.

What she does need is a big wanky-over-the-top-artsy-masterpiece to cement her place where she belongs next to artists like Ringo and Togawa though, but if she's cool with making breezy album of the quater kinda albums from now on, then good for her. She better remember that she ain't getting any younger though and that prime time of creativity is now or never. Unless she's got Phew/Nick Cave powers and gets better with age.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.08.08 at 06:38 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.08, 06:38 PM   #8548
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I don't know, I think Midori is amazing. It's like they were cultivated from my brain as the perfect albums for me. It's like, her pop albums are just pop albums. There is nothing interseting or characteristic about them. I've never found another band that sounds quite like Midori, but Mariko's solo output is somewhat generic.
Listen, I used to love idols. And part of the whole "idol" culture is how fans act during concerts. Fans at Ringo concerts don't behave like idol fans. Fans at Midori concerts? Oh yeah, those guys are clearly idol fans of Mariko.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.08.08, 06:50 PM   #8549
deadgrandma

Are you sure.... There was a time when people used to collect SHIINA RINGO Action Figures.... if that's not in the same ballpark as 'idol style' hype/fandom then I think we're on a different page here.

But eh, whatever. Being an idol fan is no worse than being a metalhead or whatever other type of idolising fan there is. Just some have to spend more money buying 50 types of the same single to shake their idols hands (I don't blame them for jerking off into them first after how much money they had to spend).
Old 2013.08.08, 07:44 PM   #8550
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I have never seen Mariko not as an (alternative) idol, even when she's with Midori. Her music however isn't idol-pop enough. Her new single Sound of Me is still very much rock music. Just listen to that weird bridge part starting at 1:29, it still has that Midori craziness about it.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote