Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.06.10, 06:59 PM   #6801
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Barbars - Ce Matin la

Ending song for the movie, "Les Chansons D'Amour", which I'm simply obsessed with. I'd post one of the songs from the movie, but it'd give things away. And this song speaks to me more so today somehow.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.10, 07:36 PM   #6802
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Ryan Parry- My Life

Real Quality.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.11, 09:01 AM   #6803
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Spinetta - La luz de la manzana

I want to see everything,
everything until death.
See that we live to be happy,
it's a wind outside,
a sequencer wind,
it eats the souls,
eats for no reason.
A clear street,
where there is nothing left,
where just the rain will come back,
along with all the light of the apple.

Edit: Now Spinetta - Alcanflor, some tracks forward.

What a brilliant artist and album. That's all I can say.

Last edited by Carlx : 2011.06.11 at 09:12 AM.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.11, 08:43 PM   #6804
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

What I assume Yeah Yeah Yeahs attempted and failed at with that stoopid egg album

Spinnerrette
Old 2011.06.12, 09:02 AM   #6805
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.15, 11:33 AM   #6806
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by obama917 View Post
When writing for Sports, she repeatedly suffered from nightmares. One of them was that in a very dark forest she was with Izawa and Uki, but in the next moment she found them very far from her. Another was that in the same dark forest, she was trying hard to find a small ball they threw to somewhere. She woke up sweaty and felt so scared she couldn't stop crying.
I think it was a spiritual intervention from a better song/album, Ringo:

In the Woods
Old 2011.06.15, 03:10 PM   #6807
deadgrandma

^ yes, cause if a woman is in a rock band, they're instantly similar.

Anyway, fucking tight:
New Millenium Cyanide Christ
Old 2011.06.15, 03:50 PM   #6808
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
^ yes, cause if a woman is in a rock band, they're instantly similar.
Really? I have the courtesy to finally view one of your posts off of the ignore list and it's just another lousy attempt to troll me? Seriously? Did you even listen to the song to make the connection from the lyrics to the quote on Ringo's dream?

The Roots
Old 2011.06.15, 03:58 PM   #6809
deadgrandma

Don't flatter yourself buddy
Old 2011.06.15, 04:43 PM   #6810
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

The last week or so I've been on an almost desperate mission to get caught up on 2011 music. I would really like to be able to discuss what albums I thought were good come December, when I'm mostly just a spectator. One problem is that last year's music keeps sounding better and better as we move farther from it.

As I mentioned earlier I was listening to the Cults s/t. I didn't really dig it past a few songs. I was messing with Google Music's Instant mix feature and playing Rise of Nations and this really good Cults song comes up! How could I have missed this song? So I tab out of my game to check the title. There do I find its not Cults at all, its the band Best Coast whose album I neglected! Pretty lulzy.

Here are some picks I've been listening to that you might want to look in to:
06152011.png

David Comes to Life
: This year's The Monitor? This is probably going to be one of those albums that you'll see floating in people's end of year top 10's. And it's hard to deny the songsmanship and ambition. The price of admission though is Damian Abraham's singing style. No matter how traditional the album's sound is at heart, Fucked Up is a punk band (and not in the whiny Titus Andronicus way either.) I definitely have to make some effort to listen through, and I can't help but feel self-conscious as I listen. As high school as it sounds I just don't want someone to walk by and hear what I'm listening to and say "You listen to that music now?" As much as I don't want to deal with answering a question like that, its catchy stuff.

Yuck: I feel Yuck and the next two albums (as well as my personal current darling, The Joy Formidable's Big Roar) all belong to the same Millennial, 90's revival, category. And I couldn't be happier. Yuck is like Joy Formidable Jr. They like their fuzzy guitars just the same. If their rockers don't reach those heights though, they offer some superb chill-down tracks like Suicide Policeman, Shook Down, and Stutter. The opener, "Get Away" has got to be a college radio staple. Just as well the closer, "Rubber" is going to find a lot of shoegaze fans.

No Color: The Dodos bring out the janglier side of alternative...excuse me, "indie" music. Like a heavier Fleet Foxes? Plus they get some help from my favorite back-up singer, Neko Case (who I really aught to get into.) The crown jewel on the album is "Don't Try to Hide it" which unsurprisingly features copious amounts of Neko Case; one of 2011's best tracks. Even if the track does tower over the rest of the record, there are plenty of surprises like the building intensity of "Don't Stop" (which always segues beautifully into whatever is next on your playlist,) and the Shins-ish refrain in "Sleep."

We Love You So Bad: I only just started my second time through this album, and I honestly can't figure out if I like it. It has the same 60's-retro sound that I dismiss other bands for. On the other hand, how about that opening track? "Dead Ripe" is pretty sweet too. With all those distorted guitars might be enough to sway me. Or maybe its just that the cover is such a nod to Siamese Dream I can't help it.

Make Your Own Danger: Sometimes I start writing just so I can talk about one thing way at the end. This is that thing. I love this album a whole bunch. Your mileage may vary though. I know that I tend to have a "type" of music I like. Alina Simone's music is not that brand. And I have a long history of just loving the shit out of this angsty-chick-folk-semi-acoustic music inexplicably. Albums like this get labelled folk, but I don't really think that fits. Is Fiona Apple folk then too, or does the choice between guitar and piano completely decide the genre? I have had a hunger for this kind of music for a long time and I didn't even realize it. Not only that, but I bought it completely blind -- something I haven't done in a decade. I bought it completely off a decent pitchfork review and two measly live performances I could find off Youtube. I was ordering another cd, so I thought why not. Great decision! One of my early favorites, even if it's not quite King of Limbs or The Big Roar. If it's not your cup of tea, so be it, I get it. However, if you are posting on this forum, I bet some part of this album appeals to you as it does me.

Fake-edit p.s.: I've been doing posts like this in an attempt to get some off-topic music discussion going, but I kind of would like to know what you'se all think. Should I move these posts elsewhere? Is there not enough room in the CLT for any talk? Should I just save these for some sort of writing portfolio and hope some hipster website gives me a pittance for them and keep this thread a youtube-only forum? Let me know what you guys think!