Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.06.22, 06:41 PM   #1
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Default US radio friendly Non-English songs

So because the language barrier on my radio show has not only been broken but shattered by Indonesia's White Shoes and the Couples Company
(They always elicit calls every time I play them, and it psyches me up every time. I also play some Spanish language rock, but that's not *so* rare here.) So I want to see how far I can push this boundary.

Before I discovered White Shoes, I'd try to sneak some of my own foreign acts into my Indie Alternative set, like I'd play "Radio Tokyo" from Puffy or Number Girl's cover of The Pixies "Wave of Mutilation." More important to me was not so much these songs fit the format -- but were in english.

It's not that *I* cared, but I felt my audience did. In '05 when I had a night show, whenever I played a song that was in Japanese (Puffy's "Akai Buranko" or Shiina's Mayonaka for examples) it didn't seem like they were not well received, so when I came back this summer I wanted to play it safe.

But with the White Shoes' success at my station, I find myself listening to Kaela Kimura's debut cd and contemplating the possibility. I think Untie or Happiness could possibly work...

So by now I'm sure most of you know what I have in my library (or if you don't, just play along ) So maybe you guys could pitch what songs you think could be passable on an Indie Alternative, college-rock station.

Another possibility ive been thinking of is Kent (not japanese =p). I'd play some of their english songs before, and the audience used to respond very well to them, so I'm pondering playing the original vers.

QUICK EDIT: My station does run an actual J-pop/J-rock show on Saturday nights, but when I talkedto the guy that runs it, almost every act I mentioned he'd never played or heard of. =(

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2008.06.22 at 06:44 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.24, 02:46 PM   #2
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Bonnie Pink. "Through the Dark" (The Sundays cover).
Do you happen to have the original for that song? I tried to collect all the original songs for that cover album, and absolutely could not find that and "Your Eyes" (obscure Japanese song, of course it's gonna be hard to find).
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.24, 06:08 PM   #3
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Uh, Shinji, I think Jihad wants non-English songs for his show... I also think you and I are the only people who love "You're Not Here" let alone like it. Anyway, these songs would be good (even if you don't have them in your collection):

Asobi Seksu - New Years
Cherry Filter - Flying Duck
Dir en grey - Jessica (even people who don't like Deg would enjoy this song)
Modena City Ramblers - I Cento Passi
Seo Taiji - Heffy End
Youjeen - Hey Jerks
Old 2008.06.25, 07:07 AM   #4
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Yeah, I meant non-english language songs =p
I can see where the confusion could be, but its pretty clear in the actual OP.

And do you have any suggestions of bands I'm actually familiar with, Maou?
(tho I have been meaning to check out Asobi Seksu)
Old 2008.06.25, 09:12 AM   #5
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

noodles - Cover Me Shakespeare and Jupiter Hotel (which unfrtounately isn't on their MySpace)

Polysics - Any of these 4 songs on their MySpace.

Go!Go!7188 - Ukifune

Melt Banana - Lost Parts Stinging Me So Cold, Spider Snipe and Cracked Plaster Cast. They may seem a bit extreme, but they're a pretty huge cult success in the west, particular with college and indie folk (same with Polysics).

Kent is a good idea. I like this song.

Sigur Ros are fantastic, but maybe a bit too lengthy and ethereal for radio. Their newest single, Gobbledigook, is the closest they've came to a normal song, but Glosoli is far better, more epic and just darn brilliant. Don't know how suitable it would be for such a show though. When it kicks in at the end, minds shall be blown. And theres Hoppipolla which I'm sure a lot of people will recognise from a commercial or trailer. It was the background music for everything in Britain last year.

And Maou's Asobi Seksu recommendation is a good one.
Old 2008.06.25, 09:34 AM   #6
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Yeah, I meant non-english language songs =p
I can see where the confusion could be, but its pretty clear in the actual OP.

And do you have any suggestions of bands I'm actually familiar with, Maou?
(tho I have been meaning to check out Asobi Seksu)
Try Asobi Seksu's Strings instead of New Years. I feel it's more dramatic and most of it is in Japanese (I think...hard to tell what she's saying in most songs).

How the hell did your listeners not get Shiina? Didn't you try Honnou? That song is perfect for introducing newbs, with the occasional phrase in English.

And I suggest usurping the Jpop show from that pretender.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.25, 11:59 AM   #7
Tokyo Jihad

Iirc, I played Honnou, Mayonaka, Kuki (CASSHERN ver.), and Gunjo maybe.

I think the only one that got any sort of positive reception was Kuki. Which sorta re-enforced my "english tracks only" sentiment. Maybe I'll try one of those tracks again. But I find it difficult somehow to think of a track that is "radio friendly" of Shiina -- which is strange. maybe Kabuki-cho...anyway. I'm a fan, do of course I love the tracks, but I'm not sold "Yer Blues" or "Love is Blind" would fly for other people somehow.
Old 2008.06.25, 06:37 PM   #8
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm pretty sure Yer Blues won't convert anyone. Love is Blind, on the other hand, might garner some acclaim.

But really, if Honnou didn't work, stop trying. Your audience is clearly deaf. They turn on the radio to feel the vibrations on the tip of their fingers.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.26, 08:53 AM   #9
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I'm a fan, do of course I love the tracks, but I'm not sold "Yer Blues" or "Love is Blind" would fly for other people somehow.
Well, they are covers of "popular songs" so they, at least, would make people interested in Ringo. I guess.

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
I'm pretty sure Yer Blues won't convert anyone. Love is Blind, on the other hand, might garner some acclaim.

But really, if Honnou didn't work, stop trying. Your audience is clearly deaf. They turn on the radio to feel the vibrations on the tip of their fingers.
Clearly deaf, or cleary liking something else.
Seriously guys, Honnou is great... for you and other fans.

Anyway, there's one japanese song that I think might work with american audiences.
"Isho." by Cocco. Check it out.
Also, just for the sake of adding something else, I have a (girl) friend that loves "Be My Last" by Hikaru Utada. It's not my favourite song of hers, but I *do* like japanese music and my friend only likes 2 or 3 japanese songs. So I guess it tells something about the potentials of that song.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.26, 09:21 AM   #10
Tokyo Jihad

I understand the logic behind playing the covers. But I think because they are well known, people will recognize them and just compare directly to the original, espescially for Yer Blues and Love is Blind which remain pretty true to the original. Starting Over, however might work.

And obviously I don't *know* Honnou fell on deaf ears when I played it. My only assumption that Kuki worked was cuz someone called in asking about who sang it etc, whereas Honnou I'm sure I intro'd pretty extensively. So I dunno.

Hmm, Cocco, I always forget about her...Her rawks always quality.