Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: The Latter Three
Kyouiku 8 38.10%
Adult 8 38.10%
Sanmon Gossip 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012.11.04, 01:06 PM   #31
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

@Maou
I have to agree on that.
Not gonna lie, I switched in Single Ver. of Shuraba for Adult and Replaced Tegami with JCHI Rakujitsu (removed the outro of course) [Now If I can just find something to replace Toumei Ningen with]

Whereas my Kyouiku is Jihad's Kyouiku, where he had to do massive edits to make it listenable (Though I switched single Ver. Sounan for DO Sounan because that riff)
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.04, 01:25 PM   #32
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Everytime I imagine people switching albums I shudder at the thought of the different production values clashing and mixed bitrates from lives etc. Now that is something I'd complain about :-p gross.
Old 2012.11.04, 02:51 PM   #33
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
[Now If I can just find something to replace Toumei Ningen with]
I would keep Tegami and put Rakujitsu instead of Toumei Ningen (though I like it too if i'm in the right mood). I honestly can't figure out why was Rakujitsu left out of Adult, even the studio version was good enough to be on the album
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.04, 03:13 PM   #34
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^When it comes to writing songs, Kemeda is like the Ringo Starr of Tokyo Jihen. I struggle to remember the melody of Flash Girl and Transparent World. Can't get enough of his melodic bass lines though!

And Rakujitsu is one of my favourite songs ever!
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.04, 03:23 PM   #35
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
^When it comes to writing songs, Kemeda is like the Ringo Starr of Tokyo Jihen.
even if he isn't as prolific, he is pretty obviously the Paul McCartney
Old 2012.11.04, 03:29 PM   #36
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
I struggle to remember the melody of Flash Girl and Transparent World.
that's an interesting translation...
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.04, 03:39 PM   #37
Inseu

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
even if he isn't as prolific, he is pretty obviously the Paul McCartney
I can understand Shiina/Kemeda team being compared to Lennon/McCartney team.

Paul McCartney is actual my favourite Beatle, best singer of the group imo I love silly love songs...This may sound crazy, but my favourite Beatles albums however...are not any of Beatles albums, but McCartney, Ram, Wild Life, Band On The Run, Imagine, Double Fantasy, and Cloud 9.

@matan-san, that's the literal translation, the song title are Chinese words I can actually read.

Last edited by Inseu : 2012.11.04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2012.11.04, 03:41 PM   #38
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

McCartney can write useless ditties, but he also has this uncanny knack for writing songs with a kind of sad, naive, awkward innocence (Teddy Boy, Anthology Demo; Blackbird; The Fool on the Hill; Eleanor Rigby). I feel like that aspect of him is really unique. It's very subtle and hard to do.
He's not my favorite, but I think it's really unfair to dismiss him and basically a jingle writer. He is, but he is also other things.

/McCartney rant off, (stolen from Joanna Wang)

EDIT:
人間 (read: じんかん "jinkan") is a really old, archaic Japanese word that means "human world". Of course, it no longer means that (archaic here being the operative word); therefore the translation is still "ningen".
As for Chinese, the construction still exists as "ren2jian1", as "ren2" is human and "jian1" is used to denote an interval of space (as it is in Japanese). Though, I don't know how common one would say 人間 in Chinese. I know 人类 "ren2lei4" is more commonly used to mean "mankind/humanity". I haven't taken a Chinese class in years; it is really rusty. Native speakers, feel free to tell me I am wrong!
The problem with reading Japanese as Chinese: in my Japanese class, about half the students are Chinese. When we first started they thought they were hotshots (but they didn't do too well on the quizzes in such because of the subtle differences), until the teacher stated in class that although there are similarities between Chinese and Japanese, you can't read them 1:1. The operative way being this: 人間 in Japanese means "human being". In Chinese it means "human world". Big difference right there.

/linguistics nerd mode off

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.11.04 at 04:01 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.04, 04:15 PM   #39
Inseu

Ok, I don't know that lol, that's why google translates Gusya Ningen as "idiotic human beings" rather than "idiot world".

人間 isn't popular in daily conversations, it's common in ancient proverbs and poetry. 人类 is the kind of word that appears in textbooks and science articles. Invisible Man in Chinese would simply be 透明人. Anyway, Transparent World sounds much more ethereal than Invisible Man though! :p

I'm kind of happy that I can actually read most of Tokyo Jihen's song titles.

Last edited by Inseu : 2012.11.04 at 04:19 PM.
Old 2012.11.04, 07:50 PM   #40
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Okay. Let's do this. I'll figure this out track by track. I'll try to keep this brief.

1. Ringo no Uta vs. Himitsu vs. Hayari
These are all solid intros. Ringo no Uta gets you pumped as hell for Kyouiku. She took her final solo song and turned it upside down. The band just comes in tearing the place apart. It rocks your socks off. Himitsu is a great track but gets a little muddled by Adult's production. Himitsu also has the weakest guitar solo of the bunch. Hayari is high energy, fun, electric, and exciting. An awesome way to start off the album. But I gotta give props to Phase 1 here. Ringo's "GIIITAA!!" and Hirama's wailing guitar solo is one of the best moments of Tokyo Jihen history. This one goes to Ringo no Uta.
Winner: Ringo no Uta
2. Gunjyou Byori vs. Kenka Joutou vs. Roudousha
This one isn't even really close for me. Kenka Joutou is one of my least favorite Adult tracks. The novelty wore off after a couple listens and I usually skip it now. The English in it is VERY distracting. Rodousha, while a great song, can't hold a candle to Gunjyou Byori. HZM wins this round.
Winner: Gunjyou Byori
3. Jusui Negai vs. Keshou Naoshi vs. Mittei Monogatari
These are all monster tracks. Seriously, picking one is kind of a musical Sophie's Choice. I seriously love all of these songs. Jusui Negai suffers the most from Kyouiku's bad production. The album version definitely lacks the bite that Dynamite Out offers. And since we're judging album versions here, it's the weakest of the bunch by default. I also find myself listening to it the least of the three. Mittei Monogatari is a fantastic song, a worthy successor to Mayonaka wa Junketsu. However, it can't hold the same sentimental value that Keshou Naoshi holds for me. That is one of my favorite Tokyo Jihen tracks and it's really helped me get through hard times. Without getting too personal, I feel like this song captures a post-high school feeling of being lost, especially since I went through a breakup at the time. Keshou Naoshi wins, despite its overly long and strange outro.
Winner: Keshou Naoshi
4. Sounan vs. Superstar vs. Zero Chiten Kara
Fucking. Sounan.
That's all that needs to be said. If you even consider placing these other two songs above this track, we need to talk.
Winner: Sounan
5. Crawl vs. Shuraba (Adult ver.) vs. Karisome Otome
These are all throwaway tracks. Crawl really only has bite in its Dynamite Out incarnation and Shuraba's album version is weaker than a one-armed baby. I'm 100% with Maou when he says the single version slaughters it. Death Jazz can go die in a fire. I don't even know if I've ever listened to that track on my copy of Sanmon Gossip. I listened to the HF version all the time. Gotta go with Kyouiku again on this one. Crawl doesn't put me to sleep nor is it a track that has no business being on the album.
Winner (if you can call it that): Crawl
6. Genjitsu ni Oite vs. Yukiguni vs. Tsugou no ii Karada
Kyouiku's track 6 has some real atmosphere despite being a short instrumental segway into Genjitsu wo Warau. The first half of Yukiguni is the same way. Tsugou no ii Karada? FUCK YEAR. Favorite track of SG. Haters gonna hate. It's probably Ringo's best showtune piece. It's got the personality, it's got the dynamics, it's got the emotion! It's all there. Great track that I personally find underrated. The choice is easy.
Winner: Tsugou no ii Karada
7. Genjitsu no Warau vs. Kabuki vs. Shun
Aka: not Shun vs. not Shun vs. Shun. While I love Genjitsu, I gotta give Shun the proper TLC here. It's the most sensual piece of music Ringo's ever written, solo or Jihen. It's Sweet Spot's hotter older sister that you totally wish would give you the time of day but totally doesn't cause she knows she's better than you. Fantastic song. It's a modern classic.
Winner: Shun
8. Service vs. Blackout vs. Futaribocchi Jikan
Service has always been noise to me aside from the really sick instrumental part around the middle. I've never been that fond of the "megaphone tracks" Jihen always found necessary to do at least once per album. And Futaribocchi Jikan is SG's weakest track. Blackout's the song to get excited about here, folks. By the way, Inseu, I think Blackout would be Quick Man and Sounan would be Flash Man. What say you?
Winner: Blackout
9. Ekimae vs. Tasogare Naki vs. Mayakashi Yasaotoko
I love Ekimae and Mayakashi Yasaotoko but they can't touch Tasogare Naki. It's Ringo jazz at its finest. Not much else to say here.
Winner: Tasogare Naki
10. Omatsuri Sawagi vs. Toumei Ningen vs. Togatta Teguchi
Gee. Kameda's arguably worst song, a pretty good track on SG, and one of my all-time favorite Jihen songs.... That's a tough choice.
Winner: Omatsuri Sawagi
11. Bokoku Jyoushou vs. Tegami vs. Irokoizata
Bokoku Jyoushou is one of Kyouiku's throwaway tracks. It's another one that Dynamite Out breathes real life into. The album version is kind of weak. I do love Irokoizata butTegami is a powerhouse track, being the clear winner here.
Winner: Tegami
12. Yume no Ato vs. Bonsai Hada
I love Bonsai Hada but there's no real comparison here. Yume no Ato smashes it.
Winner: Yume no Ato

Since neither of the TJ albums have more than 12 songs, we're left with Yokyou (which is admittedly a great track) and the Marunouchi remix, which probably shouldn't count since it's a bonus track. But even with those points in favor of SG, Kyouiku is the clear winner here. It's got the clout to back itself up. The songwriting is there, the musicality is there, the rawness of the vocals are there, and it's just one hell of a debut. I don't care if you think the production quality kills it. It's an undeniably stellar album.

Tl;dr:
Kyouiku - 6
Adult - 4
SG - 2 (4 with extra tracks)