Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: The Latter Three
Kyouiku 8 38.10%
Adult 8 38.10%
Sanmon Gossip 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012.11.04, 08:15 PM   #41
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^Sorry can't take you seriously if you think Gunjyou Byori is better than Kenka Joutou. Gunjyou Byori is a good song, but has this banal mainstream hard-rock sound, I usually put the song at the end of the playlist.

Kenka Joutou is an unparalleled, quintessential jazz-rocker, and who on earth doesn't like Ringo singing in English...The lady always knows exactly what I want to hear.

You picked Keshou Naoshi, a bossa nova song over the poignant Drowning Death Wish???

Crawl over Shuraba???

Omatsuri Sawagi over Togatta Teguchi??? Togatta Teguchi is one of Ringo's most experimental songs, it's epic.

Bokoku Jyoushou is a throwaway track??? It rules!

Of course it's all opinions

Last edited by Inseu : 2012.11.04 at 08:38 PM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.04, 08:23 PM   #42
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Osiris, your argument is persuasive, but I'm not sure about the methodology.

I mean, should Tasogare Naki be counted equally against something like Crawl? I'd say give each song 1, 2, or 3 points based on quality, regardless of track order, and then rack 'em up. Tasogare's 3 points can count against Crawl's 1 point, and then it's up to Sounan to make up the 2 point differential against Toumei Ningen.

Although either way, I think SG brings up the rear.....
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.04, 09:07 PM   #43
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Shun is the best single on all these albums combined. Himitsu woulda been but the single version (for DJ) is a fucking joke. Shuraba or Sounan- the 2 that I'm sure most of EMF would probably choose for the best single here are pretty great too, but Shun just is more special to me. Most likely cause its not been played a billion times live.

Sometimes I wish there was a SG tour, but then again, I'd rather it with a band that isn't TJ. This may be an actual possibility now ;-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.11.04 at 09:21 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.04, 09:16 PM   #44
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
^Sorry can't take you seriously if you think Gunjyou Byori is better than Kenka Joutou. Gunjyou Byori is a good song, but has this banal mainstream hard-rock sound, I usually put the song at the end of the playlist.
Banal mainstream hard-rock sound? Gunjyou's one of the best Kyouiku tracks, bro. It rocks just as hard as anything else on the album. Kenka Joutou isn't a bad song but the English lyrics are among her weakest, I'm not too fond of the intro, and it all plays out like a very angry Dynamite. Still, I don't wanna knock you for liking it. It's just not my thing. I'm not a big fan of the latter Phase 1/early Phase 2 jazzy sound.

^Kenka Joutou is an unparalleled, quintessential jazz-rocker, and who on earth doesn't like Ringo singing in English...The lady always knows exactly what I want to hear.
Hey, I didn't say I hate her singing in English. Can't Take My Eyes Off You, Noudouteki Sanpunkan, Mittei Monogatari, Genjitsu no Warau, Get It Up For Love, and Sweet Spot are all great. But there are also those tracks that I just can't get into. Kenka Joutou is one of them. She seems to be trying too hard.

^You picked Keshou Naoshi, a bossa nova song over the poignant Drowning Death Wish???
Hells yeah. Keshou benefits from Adult's production tremendously! It's one of the standout tracks to me. I loves me some Shiina Ringo bassa nova. It has such a nice melody. Don't get me wrong. Jusui Negai is a fantastic song. But it takes the Dynamite Out treatment to really give it more bite. You have to see Ringo's psychotic eyes staring into your soul while the band knocks you on your ass with pure rock noise to fully appreciate it. At least I did.

^Crawl over Shuraba???
I knew this would be an unpopular one but I had to go with biting rock over Shuraba's album version. Single version would have been a different story.

^Omatsuri Sawagi over Togatta Teguchi??? Togatta Teguchi is one of Ringo's most experimental songs, it's epic.
I LOVE Togatta Teguchi. It's one of SG's standout songs. But Omatsuri Sawagi is a personal fave of mine.

^Bokoku Jyoushou is a throwaway track??? It rules!
Hey. It's not a BAD song but it does feel like the precursor to tracks like Toumei Ningen, at least 3/4 of Variety, and some of Sports' lesser tracks.

^Of course it's all opinions
Yeah, that's one of the things I love about Ringo/Jihen so much. Everybody has different opinions on the songs. There's always someone who offers up a unique perspective.

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Osiris, your argument is persuasive, but I'm not sure about the methodology.

I mean, should Tasogare Naki be counted equally against something like Crawl? I'd say give each song 1, 2, or 3 points based on quality, regardless of track order, and then rack 'em up. Tasogare's 3 points can count against Crawl's 1 point, and then it's up to Sounan to make up the 2 point differential against Toumei Ningen.

Although either way, I think SG brings up the rear.....
Okay. You raise a good point. But even doing it that way, in my opinion, Kyouiku doesn't have any bad tracks. The closest we get are Service and Bokoku Jyoushou, neither of which are that bad at all.

Contrast that with Adult. I honestly don't even listen to a good portion of the album. Toumei Ningen especially. So naturally it can't hold a candle to the songwriting of Kyouiku. I would list Kenka Joutou, Superstar, Shuraba, Yukiguni, and Toumei Ningen all as songs I skip. That's practically half of the album.

Sanmon Gossip is a different story for me. I basically love the entire album save a few songs. I ALWAYS skip Karisome Otome and Futaribocchi Jikan. Everything else is good to great in my book. But even its highs don't quite reach Kyoiku level.

Kyouiku > SG > Adult imo
Old 2012.11.04, 09:25 PM   #45
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Himitsu woulda been but the single version (for DJ) is a fucking joke.
Uki just called, told me he's a hip hop god and considers Hitmitsu (for DJ) a highlight of his strumming career. He was also disappointed his contribution wasn't included on the album version.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.04, 09:42 PM   #46
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Hey, I'll take Uki over Soulja Boy any day.
Old 2012.11.04, 10:56 PM   #47
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
Kyouiku doesn't have any bad tracks. The closest we get are Service and Bokoku Jyoushou, neither of which are that bad at all.
Exactly.

Anyone who can stomach the entirety of Muzai Moratorium, should be able to appreciate the entirety of Kyouiku.
Old 2012.11.04, 10:59 PM   #48
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno, MM is waaaaay better than Kyouiku...
Old 2012.11.05, 12:14 AM   #49
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I dunno, MM is waaaaay better than Kyouiku...
and way different from it too
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.05, 12:40 AM   #50
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Kyouiku’s production mangles nearly every song on the album. If the intention was to make the music sound raw and primal then the execution achieves the exact opposite of that. It’s as if the music is impenetrable, which is quite frustrating when these are some of her best songs.

Ringo no Uta is the biggest victim of Kyouiku’s vendetta against SR’s songs. The single version was classy and elegant and delicate, but SR/TJ’s preoccupation with rocking out trivialises it.

Kyouiku was just the prototype to DO, which isn’t just a good live show -- it realises SR’s vision of that era much better than the album does. So it is between Adult and Sanmon Gossip for me.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2012.11.05 at 01:28 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote