Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Get Lucky vs 3min
Get Lucky 3 23.08%
3min 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013.07.01, 12:02 PM   #11
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Random Access Memories is elevator music. I don't need to get ready for it LOL.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.01, 01:00 PM   #12
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

(To preface, I've only heard Get Lucky and Giorgio by Moroder off of Random Access Memories, so I'm mainly speaking to the rest of Daft Punk's catalog.)

@Jihad: While I agree with your sentiment regarding Jihen (and to be fair, it's actually rather insightful), how Daft Punk exemplifies anything to the contrary is beyond me. The "Daft Punk sound" has always been tacking different genre influences onto a standard EDM backing. In no way is say, Dopamint homogeneous to Kaze ni Ayakatte Ike, just to give two examples off one album in the same way that the majority of Daft Punk's discography is, one track to the next. Even Giorgio by Moroder is just them doing Giorgio Moroder, and it could easily be congruent to say, Verdis Quo from over a decade earlier. And let's not even talk about their penchant for being almost insufferably repetitive, after all, the same could be said about a lot of EDM.

Anyway, that's my thought on the matter.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.17, 07:13 PM   #13
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills as I read the comments in this thread. "Get Lucky" is funky, sexy, catchy and Sanpukan is flat, boring and loveless. I don't like Sanpukan, Sam I am. Not when it came in to being, and not in 2013. It almost seems unfair to compare it to Daft Punk. Really, its unfair to the latter as well.
I realize it's kind of dumb to argue about opinions on a music forum since taste is subjective anyway but I'm gonna stop you here. Sanpunkan is flat, boring, and loveless? In what ways? It's hardly flat. The verse is a chillout song with a pulse that draws you in softly and slowly. Ringo's voice sets the tone for a moody R&B piece that just exudes style. It's hardly boring either. I find a lot to listen to and enjoy in this song. The pulse of the drums, Izawa's keys, the cool backup vocals, Uki's nice guitar lines during the lean-in and the chorus, and dat bass. I don't even know how to respond to the claim that it's "loveless". You're gonna have to elaborate here. I feel like a lot of love and care was put into the song. It's Phase 2 at their tightest. They LITERALLY are making a song that is exactly 3 minutes. And they just click together perfectly. You're acting like the song is Ringo mumbling over a click track. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Tokyo Jihen aren't that kind of act and never claimed to be. Tokyo Jihen lifts a few ideas, implants them in their songs to evoke other artists, genres, styles of music in the listener. Tokyo Jihen doesn't lend themselves to their source material and become that sound like Daft Punk does. Every Tokyo Jihen song sounds like every other Tokyo Jihen song.
I wouldn't say that. In fact, I think they could get polarizing because of the fact that they experimented with certain sounds that didn't work. In general, Tokyo Jihen's style was to throw everything but the kitchen sink into songs. Just look at Variety. Tons of songs that even have different sections within them that don't work but other parts that do. And all of the band members had pretty distinct writing styles. Sports alone showcases a pretty diverse set of songs, whether you like them or not.

Tokyo Jihen announced themselves as a pop act from day one, and the aspect of "pop" they stuck to throughout their tenure was the consumability. Their songs are like potato chips. They please the listener immediately, and the listener can consume quite a bit before inevitably growing tired. However, nothing of what they just consumed gave something back to the listener passed that first second of satisfaction.
So what is music supposed to give you other than satisfaction? I can appreciate music that grows on you but not every song has to be an archeological endeavor where you have to keep digging to discover the rare fossil. And, not to mention, just because a song does that doesn't mean it doesn't have any value. A well-crafted pop song should be commended, especially if it can be catchy AND interesting. I'm not talking about Justin Bieber or One Direction here. Take a song like "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel. That is a fucking great pop song. Should that be dismissed because I liked it the first time I heard it? Because it's somewhat derivative of Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons? If you take influences and make something new from them, that's good. And I feel like Noudouteki Sanpunkan does that. It's not just an R&B song. It's a dance song. It's a song with an atmospheric groove. It has bite but is laid-back. It takes its time but has a goal. It's a complete contradiction and somehow everything completely works.

Maybe the listener gets a little kick that Sanpukan borrows a dancier beat, so its like listening to a new genre, without actually listening to anything new. (Same shit for all the jazzy and showtune bullshit.)
So now adding something new to something doesn't make it new anymore? And you just mention the beat. You say nothing about Ringo's vocals, the very creative use of the keyboard in the intro and throughout the song, and the eclectic guitar licks Uki implements. Like I said before, there's a lot to be found here.

In america we have these collections called "Kidz Bop." They are cds with top 40 hits, but covered by session musicians with little kids on vocals. They are made for parents who are uncomfortable with their kids supporting artists who may have "questionable morals" or whose songs may have dirty words. The kids get a version of the song they like, and the parent has a good conscience that they did their part.
Okay. Now you're just getting plain insulting. Are you implying that Tokyo Jihen is too safe to get us what we really want so they're giving us manufactured shit? I call bullshit on that.

Its dumb and silly, but these things have a place, and no one said they were supposed to replace the real thing. That's how I feel about a song like Sanpukan. It's mostly filler until the listener is ready to listen to Random Access Memories, or a Chic or Shalamar best of.
If you were trying to advertise for Daft Punk you just did in the worst way possible. Saying Sanpunkan is RAM/Chic/Shalamar Lite is really making you come off as elitist. Just sayin'.
Old 2013.07.17, 07:14 PM   #14
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

By the way, Sanpunkan kills Get Lucky. No contest.
Old 2013.07.17, 07:24 PM   #15
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Jihad, I've now listened to RAM three times... and I still don't get it, nor does it do anything I care for... all it sounds like to me is the stuff it's trying to be... then why not just listen to the originals?

The missing element I feel is a voice I actually like and a sound I actually like (like TM Ringo melodies that noone else does quite the same, even on their more obviously derivative songs such as Sanpunken). Jihen had Shiina fuckin' Ringo as their vocalist for Christsake. You know- my favourite vocalist ever apart from Togawa. This is a truly personal reason to like the music I know... but I find this personal affecting touch much more rewarding than listening to someone's music who has "succeeded in making someone elses music"... This seems truly pointless to me. It's like listening to Jet when I could reach for The Beatles.

Combining elements isnt the same as making the same damn song.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.17 at 07:37 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.18, 08:34 AM   #16
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

By the way, putting both tracks on a playlist works pretty well. 3min first, so that Get Lucky comes after the beep. "Up up and away -- beep! Like the legend of the phoenix."

3min reminds me a lot of Tsumiki Asobi. It also works much better when you know the lyrics (even if this sounds like an excuse), because the whole song seems to have that 'stirring a magic cauldron' quality to its structure (like Sounan), and all the wordplay and repetition is an important part of the equation -- the whole coming back to life (next damashouuu!) thing is woven into every aspect of the song. I find that many of Ringo's dance-y tracks are closely linked to death or fighting in some way.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.18, 01:10 PM   #17
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Tsumiki Asobi, though, is a great song.

Osiris, if you took the time to write all that in response to all of what I wrote, and given that I usually agree with you I must be wrong. There are some songs that everyone here loves that I get a negative amount of joy from. Glathannus once defended and stipulated the merits of "Osca" to me, but no matter what I just don't get/like that song. Same with Sanpukan. When I listen to it, what I hear are all the things I wrote about earlier, and my opinion has not changed. Everyone here seems to really like it, and that's great. Just not me.

A song can be catchy, and bright, and fun, and not be fluff. A songwriter like Billy Joel can use pop music as a medium to convey a point beyond the catchiness and radio friendliness. Tokyo Jihen is able, but Sanpukan is not a good example.

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
you come off as an elitist
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 21
Size:  130.7 KB
Got me there.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2013.07.18 at 01:14 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.18, 01:29 PM   #18
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Glathannus once defended and stipulated the merits of "Osca" to me
a.) You are confused about who that conversation was with, or which song was being debated
b.) I was smoking some really good shit

Either way, I have no recollection of that.
Old 2013.07.18, 01:32 PM   #19
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Hahah, I remember you said something like "Shiina owned it/made it her own." Which is more praise than at least I have ever associated with =p

(I took me five tries to post this too, what the heck)
Old 2013.07.18, 01:40 PM   #20
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

...Osca... ...no matter what I just don't get/like that song.
I think I just blacked out for a second.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote