Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.08.16, 11:46 PM   #31
Yumiko.S

Yumiko.S pleased at least somebody

Utada introduced me to Shiina, when i saw her sing "tsumi to Batsu" I was all lyke "OMG, AWESOME DEWD!" >o< and then I saw Shiina in the related videos. Now I love them both... And they all lived happily ever after. =3=
Yumiko.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.03, 12:48 PM   #32
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Funny how a couple of people say Ringo turned their musical worlds upside down... because only now I realize my liking for alternative musicians such as Tori Amos or Kate Bush probably stemmed at the liking of Shiina.
As for Exodus, I like it... I think it was there that she proved what she's capable of, musically (and that at only 21 years, which I think is admirable). I understand if her fans don't like it though... it's a complete departure from her previous works. Without it though, she wouldn't have progressed like she did with said last 2 albums, as kuro_neko's already said.

Speaking about Faye Wong... she basically got me into Cocteau Twins, for which I'll be forever thankful
(and of course she's great herself)
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.18, 01:01 PM   #33
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

I've always been a gigantic fan of Hikki (I SAW HER LIVE! I WAS LIKE, 20 FEET AWAY FROM HER!!), and just a few weeks ago, I decided to listen to Ringo.

WTF. I love her. I seem to be attracted to singers with distinctive voices (Western: Katy Perry, Duffy, Shakira; Eastern: Hikki, Ringo, alan). But she just has the experimentalism that Utada has, but it's taken to the furthest extreme, and it still comes out amazing.

On the subject of Exodus: it was my first Hikki album. I love it to death (just ahead of HEART STATION).
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.19, 02:01 PM   #34
mr. Pillow
ectoplasm

mr. Pillow is an asset to this community

Haha, this is definitely a fact, at least in 90% cases. I was a big Utada fan since I discovered Ringo. Not that I dislike her now, but Ringo is way more interesting.
mr. Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.20, 03:32 AM   #35
seanclaude

seanclaude pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Appeltje View Post
Definately true. Shiina was my first Japanese encounter, and although I started listening to a lot of other Japanese music, I never liked Utada that much. I have heard a lot of her songs as you can't escape them in Japan really, but never felt compelled to buy any of her records.
I can't agree more that you can't escapte utada's songs in japan...

I have heard a lot of utada's songs but have never been that interested. all her songs sounds a bit similar? they don't stimulate me like Shiina's do.
I suppose Utada's songs are a bit easier to listen, so public places like shopping malls, supermarkets will play her music. whereas shiina's music is not as suitable to play in public space. her music is something that you will need a quiet space, sit down and listen. so you can enjoy the layers and complexity in her music.

also the lyrics are very very different... shiina's lyrics are far more difficult to understand... Shiina uses less english words in her Japanese songs.
seanclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.20, 03:41 AM   #36
seanclaude

seanclaude pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Both Utada and Ayumi are great, but Utada has the more distinct voice.

Still trying to figure out WTF Exodus was all about.......
I do not think Ayumi has got a good voice. I even doubted whether she can sing.

another thing I have taken into accounting is that Utada was brought up in the U.S, and Japanese people tend to have a weird thing towards overseas born/brought up Japanese. It was actually a selling point when utada first came out. the medai especially mentioned that she was raised in america and she spoke fluent english. i remember reading an article 10 years ago said that Utada can pronouce 'R' and 'L' properly, unlike most japanese..
seanclaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.20, 08:46 AM   #37
zyoeru

zyoeru pleased at least somebody

I was actually a Ringo fan prior to being a Hikaru fan. Actually I'm not a Hikaru fan, I can't stand her personality, but she has some good songs.
zyoeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.25, 11:22 PM   #38
kimihzm

kimihzm pleased at least somebody

Me too! First j-pop album I bought was Utada's but now I'm totally Ringo fan.
kimihzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.10, 12:27 AM   #39
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by zyoeru View Post
I was actually a Ringo fan prior to being a Hikaru fan. Actually I'm not a Hikaru fan, I can't stand her personality, but she has some good songs.
What's wrong with her personality? She just American to me. It shows that she went to school here. She is shockingly quick witted at times but she has the tendency to express things too harshly. Other than that, what's to hate?

I was introduce to Shiina and Chitose through hikki and ayumi's chart battle of 2001. Everyone within top 10 oricon for November 2001 has at least one album in my library. Shiina, Chitose, Ayumi, and Judy and Mary stuck however.

GIGAcorrupt and I are Utadanet natives. I've been visiting Electric Mole and RingoJihen since Adult. We introduced him to Shiina earlier this year there at UNet.

I actually wish that Shiina would work with Utada again before she retires. She is officially on Hiatus Jan 1 2011. We are getting a best album and 3 new songs it would seem and then a possible 2 yr wait til new material. I doubt she will write or compose for anyone else during the time either.
---------

Oh and on a side note, Shiina and Asian Kung fu generation got me into Number Girl, Zazen Boys, Toddle, Spiral Chord and Vola & The Oriental Machine. The later names are all the bands started by the members of Number Girl after they broke up. They were a band from Fukuoka that were very well respected among the indie scene and got signed EMI around the same as Shiina did. The lead guitarist, Hisako was in the band Hatsuiku Status with Shiina(she also was rumored to be why Shiina learned guitar). She later worked with Inazawa(drums) on Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana and Mukai(Vocals/r.guitar) on Zazen Boys II album. If this band didn't exist, I don't know how Shiina's music today.

Last edited by LoBFCanti : 2010.09.10 at 12:46 AM. Reason: forgot to add....
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.10, 01:49 AM   #40
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

I tend to have discographies I don't really like.. well, I like some songs, but the others are most like for making fun .. Utada is one of those for me, Mikio is the other.. and Nao Matsuzaki is in this list also, hm

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote