Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions You MUST introduce yourself here before you may post throughout the rest of the community.

Old 2009.05.12, 06:00 PM   #711
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by ron2112 View Post
I'm still finding my way around here, but I think I get how it works. I look forward to following up a few leads on where to buy TJ vids (check the Reviews thread, got it). It doesn't look like Society of the Citizens or Spa & Treatment are available yet...? Hopefully when they are they'll be available in Region 1 or 0, though judging from the other DVDs I've seen it doesn't look very hopeful. Too bad, I'd pay top dollar for an official DVD-quality version of this...!
Welcome to EMF!

Actually, all their DVDs available are region 0 And only one Shiina Ringo DVD is not, so we're lucky that way, to be able to buy and watch their DVDs without the need for region-free players or gimmicks. If you have doubts or want to confirm the region on any DVD, just ask in the products threads. We have information that's waaay more reliable than what the resellers tell you.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.12, 06:37 PM   #712
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Man, I just checked out the pictures thread... apparently I should have disclosed the fact that I am an OLD GUY! All you young whipper-snappers around here, makin' me feel ancient and stuff.
I don't think there is anything about Tokyo Jihen that specifically attracts younger fans. When it comes to the age of fans outside of Japan, you can blame the nature of the internet more than the nature of Tokyo Jihen. Most people your age are not as technologically and multi-culturally connected as you are. We youngins around here actually have a lot of respect for our older members (older from a date-of-birth standpoint - not a membership standpoint), because you tend to be more familiar with older music that Shiina Ringo is also more familiar with than us, and our interests are not exclusive to new/hip/trendy music. Shiina Ringo is sort of a bridge between the west of decades ago with the east of decades ago, so a lot of us like to talk about and listen to her influences.

We'll try not to make you feel younger than us when we reflect on our years of being acquainted with Shiina Ringo's history inside and outside of Tokyo Jihen.
Old 2009.05.12, 08:10 PM   #713
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Man, I just checked out the pictures thread... apparently I should have disclosed the fact that I am an OLD GUY! All you young whipper-snappers around here, makin' me feel ancient and stuff.
To quote Frank Lloyd Wright: "Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old."

And you are a month older than my little brother, who is almost five years younger than me.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.12, 10:57 PM   #714
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

welcome to EMF ron

Right now my favorite of the three albums is Variety,
hey fluffie, your best friend just came!
Old 2009.05.13, 02:10 AM   #715
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
hey fluffie, your best friend just came!
And your arch-enemy
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.13, 10:38 AM   #716
ron2112

ron2112 has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Thanks for all your warm welcomes! Seems like this is going to be a fun place.

So yeah... I'm getting the impression that Variety is not much-loved among the fanbase, is that correct? That's okay, if I was a trend-follower I wouldn't be listening to TJ in the first place! Honestly my favorite varies as my mood shifts. If I'm in the mood for something jazzier, definitely Adult. Something more rough-edged, Education. Those three albums are so distinct, it's easy to pick the one I'm in the mood for at any moment.

I haven't heard enough Shiina solo stuff to judge it as a whole, but I get the impression from what I've heard that it tends to be more... what's the word I'm looking for... mainstream? Accessible? I'm not sure either of those are right. For the most part, my tastes run more towards progressive rock and what you might call "out there" music... Zappa is a big favorite, as are Yes, King Crimson, etc. So I get the sense that TJ leans closer to those directions than her solo work does. (They sound like a Japanese Mr. Bungle at times.) Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the advice on the videos... complicated stuff, I guess. And thank you, Inaudible-Whisper, for giving my podcast a listen! I'm glad you found it enjoyable.

So I guess I have to ask... where should a person of my tastes start in regards to Shiina's solo work?

Ron Moses
ron2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.13, 10:59 AM   #717
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

So I guess I have to ask... where should a person of my tastes start in regards to Shiina's solo work?
It's hard to say, for me, but I guess Karuki Zamen Kuri no Hana, or KZK, will really give you another perspective over her solo work (if you haven't heard it already). It's similar to Adult, in the sense that it mainly blends Jazz with Rock (in a broad sense), but it's also so much more, as you will feel it's not that easy to label it with a genre.
Well, that's my opinion... but I don't really know any of the bands you mentioned, and the ones you played at your podcast don't give me a precise direction lol.

PS - Currently listening to the Sakanaction portion of your podcast. Really good! Never heard of them
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.13, 11:51 AM   #718
merman

Yes, definitely Karuki Zaamen Kuri no Hana if you like stuff that's "out there". It's probably the most "out there" record that could still be called pop music
Tokyo Jihen are much more straightforward than her solo work tends to be, there's a band sound to it whereas she experimented more with her solo stuff, so there's a good chance you'll like that better.
Old 2009.05.14, 04:51 AM   #719
ron2112

ron2112 has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by merman View Post
Tokyo Jihen are much more straightforward than her solo work tends to be
Obviously I'm basing this on very little experience, so I'm probably full of crap, and feel free to tell me so. This is all first impression -- in other words, things I'm going to be embarrassed to have written six months from now.

But as I'm listening to samples from Karuki Zaamen Kuri no Hana, it seems like the solo work is more sonically adventurous, whereas the TJ stuff is more musically adventurous. The KZK material I'm listening to is amazingly dense with all sorts of wonderful sounds, but beneath it all is a tendency toward very simple melodies. Of course, simple melodies -- almost childlike at times -- are a big part of both Shiina's and TJ's appeal, but to my ears, the solo work raises the stakes by enveloping those melodies in these incredible soundscapes, whereas TJ raises the stakes by tweaking out the melodies a few extra degrees, and keeping the presentation relatively straightforward.

For example, I'm listening to Yattsuke Shigoto. Great tune! There's really not much to the composition itself, but all these cartoony flourishes throughout the track elevate it well above a simple pop song. I can't imagine it working acoustically, but in its recorded form it's a wonderful listen.

Compare this to a track like Keshou Naoshi. Sonically, it's far simpler than Yattsuke Shigoto. But musically, the melody and chord progression are considerably more intricate. This is where I hear the difference between the solo work and the TJ stuff. Neither is inherently superior to the other, but they're different approaches, and which you prefer depends on where you're coming from as a listener.

Of course these are isolated examples, and as I said, only a first impression of what I'm hearing. I like it, though, a lot. I'll be purchasing this later today. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Ron Moses
ron2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.14, 05:13 AM   #720
merman

I never thought of it that way, so I can't say whether I agree or not, but you DO have a point! Good post.
By the way, why don't you listen to the original version of Yattsuke Shigoto? You could then confirm or deny for yourself how it translates in a more conventional arrangement.

Yattsuke Shigoto from Zecchoushuu