Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.10.21, 01:35 PM   #1491
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
I'm replaying Arkham Asylum while waiting for the release of Arkham City.
The PC Version, that is. After L.A. Noire sucking more than I ever hoped to believe and The Witcher 2 being much too short, Arkham City is my new hope for the game of the year. The ratings and user comments seem to confirm this as well.
Guess the only one in it's way is Skyrim then, although I believe I'll have more fun with Batman.
I got the 360 version for free. I'll buy the PC version when I upgrade my system next year.

I was a little disappointed in some of the voice acting. I was on a media blackout so I was surprised when some of the characters had different voices from TAS. I knew about Harley so she was exactly as expected: a pale imitation of the original.

Other than that, the game is great. I haven't even scratched the surface of the side quests yet.
Old 2011.10.21, 01:54 PM   #1492
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I'm a little preoccupied with Portal 2 at the moment (which I never got around to playing until this week), but some of these recent deals on Steam are too insane to pass up while they last. Like $13 for all the Grand Theft Autos combined?!

In other news, I just got my hands on the Seiken Densetsu CD book (since I didn't already own any of the CDs), and it's bigger and heavier than I thought it would be. It cost a lot to transport this thing via EMS, which isn't the shipping method I would have chose, but CD Japan (with their more cost-effective FedEx) ran out of these books, and HMV only ships internationally via EMS. Oh well. This thing has already exceeded my expectations before I've even began ripping or playing any of the discs.
Old 2011.10.21, 02:59 PM   #1493
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I only just now got round to playing "Heavy Rain".

Why didn't I just leave it alone?

An ENTIRE GAME built on context pushes.

Thom Yorke running around looking for his kid.

Enough. Turn off. Boot up the Genesis. Road Rash III.
Old 2011.10.21, 06:14 PM   #1494
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I actually really want to play Assassin Creed. Everyone says the free-range roaming is really fun. I remember my most amount of fun playing Super Mario Galaxy was just running around and exploring the huge worlds.

So is it any good? Of course, I'll wait until a Steam sale.

On one hand, I hate certain RPGs for being too open-ended (Like Persona), but on the other hand I'm not a huge fan of the really linear ones (Like Final Fantasy 13).

Oh, I'm also really excited for the upcoming MMOs Tera Online and The Secret World especially. Also I love Torchlight, and the other Diablo-style games.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.21, 07:07 PM   #1495
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Assassin's Creed is great. The art design is beautiful (it makes better use of color than most of the mature blockbusters this generation) and the control is reponsive. The combat isn't as tight as, say, God of War, and can get repetitive, but the game really shines outside of combat. It's like Parkour Parkour Israel.

And then the sequel improves upon in every way possible.

It's a sandbox/linear path mix, so I think you'll like it in that regard.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.22, 08:36 AM   #1496
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post

On one hand, I hate certain RPGs for being too open-ended (Like Persona), but on the other hand I'm not a huge fan of the really linear ones (Like Final Fantasy 13).
lol What? Persona is open-ended? It's one of my favorite series and that's news to me. Which one in particular are you talking about?

The first Assassin's Creed looks the best, but is the most repetitive. You repeat the same four missions over and over again with each assassination. The second game is far, far better. Less repeated missions and I liked the characters (Rosa, Leonardo) better. Brotherhood has the best gameplay, but it doesn't seem as cohesive as the second game.

Assassin's Creed will probably be in a Steam sale when Revelations comes out in a couple of weeks. I think the entire series was on sale for $30 at some point.
Old 2011.10.22, 09:44 AM   #1497
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Happily surprised so many people are on Steam. I've got at least 100 games in my Steam library, all bought dirt-cheap and many of them awaiting a new system to play them on.

Steam rules.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.22, 10:59 AM   #1498
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I only have Torchlight (which I worship), Gyromancer (because I was curious), SW:KoTOR (because I got it for $2.50), and the Penny Arcade games (which I regret buying)

Persona 4 is open-ended to me. It's the type of game I need to play with a strategy guide, because I'm like "How should I respond to this question? Where should I go for my free time? What should I do for my social link? Which Persona should I use?". Which is not to say that it is bad, but it's just a game I need to play with a strategy guide. If I feel like too many options will make me miss out on the game, I tend to panic. Thus, why I am also terrible at games like Fallout.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.10.22, 11:58 AM   #1499
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I've got around 250 games on Steam, and a lot of DLC (some of which is like having a different game in the same franchise). The most I've splurged on any specific game in Steam, is for Total War: Shogun 2 (roughly $50 total for the core game with all the DLC I have for it). The majority of the games I've bought in Steam, I didn't pay more than $20 for - and that's often for a complete edition with all the expansions/DLC/etc. built-in.

I've taken advantage of a lot of one-time sales which were almost too good to be true. THQ was selling their entire catalog a year ago for $99, and ever since then, they occasionally bundle a narrower scope of their catalog at most (which excludes some of the older games I got - it's not merely THQ trying to keep the prices high on their newest games).

I'm currently on the fence about whether I want to wait for another complete Paradox offering, or just snatch up their more individual-franchise sales as they come along. I already bought all the Mount & Blade material awhile ago, and I'd hate to double-dip - but it might still be cheaper to get everything else for $99 (when that time comes) than to go for their franchise sales.

A few years ago I was regularly pre-ordering new PS2 games (especially ones from Atlus or Nippon Ichi) without thinking twice about it, but that was back when I had a job.
Old 2011.10.22, 01:27 PM   #1500
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
lol What? Persona is open-ended? It's one of my favorite series and that's news to me. Which one in particular are you talking about?
I've only played two Megami Tensei games (Devil Survivor and Innocent Sin, but not Eternal Punishment yet), so I don't know if Persona 4 is anything like them, but it struck me that both of those games have the large decision trees and deep customization systems of an "open-ended" game while having the claustrophobic movement interfaces and area maps of a linear game. They're very...weird games.

Would either of you recommend Persona 3 or 4? I've read that fans of Persona 1-2 hate the other two and vice versa.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote