Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.08.14, 06:56 AM   #51
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I'm an asshole that never uses headphones EVER

which ones should I buy (im kinda loaded, so up to $500 US)
Old 2011.08.14, 07:03 AM   #52
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Do some research on Head-fi.org. You'll find plenty of recommendations there for all kinds of budgets.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.14, 10:10 AM   #53
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Actually whatever is written on Head-fi, bring a selection of your own music to a shop and try the headphones before you fork out any money.

I remember reading loads about how amazing Grados were meant to be and when I finally got to try them didn't like any of them, preferred my old £30 Beyerdynamics. None of them were my cup of tea. People can have different tastes in how they like their music presented. Also yes some won't sound any good without an amp.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I dont mind audiophiles

BUT.... when they complain about production (like Shouso Strip being brickwall central) and miss out on some of the best music EVER

It makes me both sad and pisses me off

Fucking fuckheads (drunk as fuck)
They are fuckheads indeed, but IMO the compression on SS is done well and no more aggressive than a fair amount of electronic stuff (or something like Madvillainy). It sprays that Ringo goodness straight into your ears. Now Kyoiku's production is another matter...

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.14, 10:57 AM   #54
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

They do rave about the Grado over there and I can't really imagine why. When I picked it up I was worried about accidentally cracking it between my fingers.
The sound was rough and unimpressive. Granted I didn't tinker with the settings on my player but the SRH440 stood out using the same settings.

Head-fi can help you narrow down your search. You should always try to test out headphones before buying them...if it's at all possible. Not every city has a place like Bay Bloor Radio with a wall of headphones set up for you to try.

ALSO...if you never use headphones than maybe you shouldn't buy headphones...at least nothing beyond 50$.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.14, 12:47 PM   #55
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Okay, one thing that bothers me a little.

I like things in mono. When I hear two completely different things coming out of each headphone, it really bothers me. My hearing is not perfect, I hear a little better in my left ear, and it bothers me even more. (Usually the balance on my MP3 player is +10 - 13%, depending on the volume)

Like Identity, that really bothers me to listen to it with headphones. Or Kono Yo no Kagiri. It really annoys me.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.14, 06:05 PM   #56
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I like things in mono. When I hear two completely different things coming out of each headphone, it really bothers me.
That really surprises me, many amazing musicians actually utilise the stereo effect to make their songs richer and more vivid.

How about Hatsukoi Shoujo?
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.14, 06:15 PM   #57
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I like Hatsukoi Shoujo, but it's distracting when the left speaker/headphone is a little bit louder than the right one. And it bothers me, so I fidget, etc.

If my hearing was completely even, then I would appreciate it more. Instead, I have to fiddle with the balance too much.

tl;dr it's hard to be an audiophile when your hearing is far from perfect.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.14, 08:30 PM   #58
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Speaking of audiophilia, has anyone had the absolute pleasure of seeing the Akira blu ray?

It sounds AMAZING!
Old 2011.08.15, 05:18 AM   #59
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Okay, one thing that bothers me a little.

I like things in mono. When I hear two completely different things coming out of each headphone, it really bothers me. My hearing is not perfect, I hear a little better in my left ear, and it bothers me even more. (Usually the balance on my MP3 player is +10 - 13%, depending on the volume)

Like Identity, that really bothers me to listen to it with headphones. Or Kono Yo no Kagiri. It really annoys me.
I agree, in many cases. The industry is really misutilizing stereo (especially listening to a good psychoacoustic soundstage demo, or a Dolby Headphone track).

I'm the same way with 5-/7-channel surround vs. stereo. For some reason people love the conscious sensation of a sound coming from behind them, or in front of them, or to their sides, but to be honest...conscious recognition is a distraction, even if it's only for a split second. It's like salt with cooking -- if you don't use it at all, you haven't used enough, but if you can taste it at all, you've used too much.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Speaking of audiophilia, has anyone had the absolute pleasure of seeing the Akira blu ray?

It sounds AMAZING!
Yes. The TrueHD track is amazing. I thought the picture was okay, but the sound was just...wow. Great explosions.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.15, 06:46 AM   #60
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
Yes. The TrueHD track is amazing. I thought the picture was okay, but the sound was just...wow. Great explosions.
The picture was still a vast improvement on the substandard DVD versions. Especially the lines and color palette. However, the sound is where is truly shines- the Japanese TrueHD is 192khz/24 bit. I like how they've made the soundtrack (it has such an amazing score) so much clearer and audible too.

Anyway, yeah, pretty damn good.