Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.06.11, 01:32 PM   #1
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Default Thread of Beatles

It's about time The Beatles get their own thread on EMF. In anticipation of The Beatles remasters coming in September, I've been listening to some Beatle bootlegs and wanted to share some Beatle musings and wanted to hear musings of fellow EMFers on the best band evarr.

::My family has learned that the safe gift to buy me is anything relating to the Beatles. Thus I've amassed a wall and a half of posters, Yellow Submarine and Animated series action figures, a Sgt Pepper plate (one of those commemorative ones), countless shirts and some neat paper clippings from the 60's.

::I never bought Love cuz 'eh.' Tho I really wanted to see the show.

:: I prefer Let it Be...Naked to the original....but to some, that may not come as much of a surprise...(Tho, In Dig a Pony I wish they would have reinstated Paul's "All I want is..." just before John's verse at the start of the song.)

:: Ever since I put "Beatles" and "Internet" together, I found Beatles for Sale is often considered one of the lesser Beatle albums. I disagree with this sentiment. Yeah, there's alot of covers given it being sandwhiched between A Hard Day's Night and Help! (which combined had just 2 covers) but With the Beatles had alot of covers, and it's great. I think For Sale shows some neat progression, some more mellow acoustic stuff. I find Help to be the weaker album -- it seems so out of place. There's alot sprititually similar between For Sale and Rubber Soul.

:: Late Beatles always get the cool points, and it's not hard to see why. But, though it might not come off as so, Early Beatles were the bigger badasses. They partied harder and longer, took just as many drugs and still shat out gems. If had their way wouldn't have abandoned their leather jackets. Late Beatles were just grouchy, pouty wimps in comparison. Not to mention less consistent than their younger incarnation.

:: I always wanted long "White Album" hair. =(

:: "The Inner Light" is proof even The Beatles released garbage.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2009.06.11 at 06:36 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.11, 05:31 PM   #2
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I just don't know where to begin. Study history. All I am going to say right now is that the leather jacket fun world abruptly stopped in November 1963 with a bullet.

Of course they changed. That is why they aren't crap.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.11, 05:35 PM   #3
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

If I know any type of history, its history revolving around The Beatles. I know the why and all, but they weren't initially welcoming of the matching nice suits.
Old 2009.06.11, 06:12 PM   #4
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Woo. I've been on the verge of creating this thread many times.

Have you at least listened to 'Love'? You really should, if not for the mixes (which I think are pretty nice for the most part) but for the quality. Blast it... the songs have never sounded better (again, not a comment on the mixes but the quality). Although with the remasters coming waiting won't be that bad. It also sounds amazing in 5.1.

Have you paid much attention to the game Jihad? Regardless of your interest in the gameplay the attention to detail Harmonix have put into it is fantastic and it's worth watching never mind playing. The intro is utterly superb and I love the fact that they not only kept the intro talk for 'Get Back' but animated them having it on the rooftop. Each song has the relevant live setting, style, haircut and instrument and for the songs they didn't play live it cuts from the studio to some wonderfully inspired dreamscapes (example). I'll keep game talk in the thread to a minimum, keeping to the Music Game Thread but I thought it was worth a mention.

I prefer Let It Be... Naked too. Though I prefer Across The Universe to be a bit slower like the original (not the awful Past Masters original).
Old 2009.06.11, 08:02 PM   #5
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

I've been a fan of The Beatles since I was 10 and my mum would play nothing but them (and Cher. >.>; ) in the car on road trips. Unfortunately that was before I was really into music and was just a passive listener, so I don't know them album by album as such, but more as a there's a large cluster of songs that I like and can sing to by them.

The albums my mum mostly played were the two red and blue best of albums and the white album, but I love and listen to much more. I love the their sound and how they evolved. Previously I found their earlier work not to be as ear-catching and would mostly listen to Revolver stuff and on, but now (especially after becoming a huuuge fan of Motown, many songs of which The Beatles covered) I really love and appreciate their earlier poppier fare.

Plus, you can thank the wonderfulness of The Supremes for saving the home American market from the British invasion, because they were pretty much the only great competition that they had.

And TeslaGuy: Though I'm not too well versed in the Rockabilly music scene save for Buddy Holly, Elvis, The Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis... yes, the British Invasion stopped the rockabilly wave of the 50s but wasn't it on a downfall anyway due to Elvis' enlistment in the army and Buddy Holly's death? I adore the Everly Brothers, but I also know that their only big hits were in '59 and '60. They didn't really make a splash after that. Surfer rock was big for bit, but that was mostly instrumental. (I actually don't know any surf rock with vocals.)

But it's like how Grunge and Nirvana ousted the hair metal sound from American rock music. That's what great about music; it's constantly changing and all the genres (more or less) have their own pros and cons.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.11, 09:28 PM   #6
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

I was so overexposed to the Beatles as a kid that it took me until college to realize that they weren't just a lot of empty hype. I still despise half of Help! though as that was the album that was most frequently on repeat and it's before they strayed away from the bubblegum sound.

I don't know why my parents never played Rubber Soul which they claim is their favorite Beatles album. In any case its become my favorite Beatles album as well (with Revolver in second). White album and Abbey Road have a ton of wonderful songs between them but their so inconsistent to me.

PS. I can deal with early Beatles as long as its treated as something created by a different entity because (most) late Beatles songs don't get old and early Beatles, despite being good pop songs, make me want to hurl a brick at my stereo if played for long enough.

Has anyone seen the Michael Jackson live video of Come Together?

Last edited by lazer85 : 2009.06.11 at 09:33 PM.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.12, 09:20 AM   #7
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post

And TeslaGuy: Though I'm not too well versed in the Rockabilly music scene save for Buddy Holly, Elvis, The Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis... yes, the British Invasion stopped the rockabilly wave of the 50s but wasn't it on a downfall anyway due to Elvis' enlistment in the army and Buddy Holly's death? I adore the Everly Brothers, but I also know that their only big hits were in '59 and '60. They didn't really make a splash after that. Surfer rock was big for bit, but that was mostly instrumental. (I actually don't know any surf rock with vocals.)
Its been a long time since I tool a course in the history of post-war pop music, but I think the rockabilly era had ended by the early 60's and rather bland fare like Pat Boone had replaced it. The British Invasion revitalized the music scene. Regarding surf rock, there were some songs with vocals. Surfin' Bird by The Trashmen is a good example. Surf pop bands like The Beach Boys and Jan and Dean also had vocals, of course. The Beach Boys eventually became one of The Beatles main "competitors". Paul McCartney has said that Sgt. Pepper's was the result of his being blown away by Pet Sounds, and wanting to make an album that was even better.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.12, 09:29 AM   #8
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

I'm more interested in the Beatles post- Revolver, although I do like their first early singles.

The most interesting recent discovery for me was that Revolution 1 and Revolution 9 were actually the same song, a 10-minute or so jam that was recently leaked in flac, where Revolution 1's ending keeps getting played for several minutes, while a series of crazy delays and repeating loops slowly appear from the backgroung, until they dominate the whole song, and transform it into revolution 9.

Also, I'm very nostalgic of the Anthology compilations, and I really enjoyed the 2 new tracks that they recorded. Recently i've gotten hold of the lennon demos for the third song that the Beatles were working on, but never finished. I really like it.

The early Beatles, well, it was nice, but after a while, it gets very repetitive and boring for me... I like bands who favor variety and who do not become complacent wityh each record. I like the Beatles precisely because they kept challenging themselves, incorporating the Avant-Garde music from the Fluxus group (of which Yoko Ono was a member), world music, oldie foxtrot tunes, and didn't stuck to the same old thing.
Old 2009.06.15, 11:04 AM   #9
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think I already post it here, but when I was born my mother always put Hey Jude to me sleep, I just didn't sleep without Hey jude playing right next to me
when I was 3 or 4 I was watching tv and I discovered that john lennon was dead more than 10 years ago, so I cried a lot, I still feel the same sadness about it (so weird O.o)
my favorite early album is With the beatles
and my favorite late is a draw between Revolter and sgt. peppers
my ex-bf (we're still good friends) promised last week to give me the remasters *u*

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.15, 03:41 PM   #10
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Love was a piece of shit ^Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's are my favourite two.
I got dressed up as Sgt Pepper's lonely hearts club band with some friends in February, fun times.

Last edited by NCORE : 2009.06.15 at 03:46 PM.
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote