Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.12.06, 01:31 PM   #11
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

DG, if you like Sa Dingding, have you heard the new Imogen Heap? Quite possibly my #1, I'll be giving it a nice write-up once my finals are over.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.06, 02:38 PM   #12
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I downloaded a couple Sa Dingding albums after hearing DG talk about her a lot on the forums. I'm enjoying.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.06, 08:45 PM   #13
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

@TurtleFu: yeah I have heard a bit by Imogen Heap, not the new album though, will give it a go tonight.

EDIT: And I really dig it- I think once I can appreciate the vocals more (they're good, I just am so used to higher range vocals right now...) I could probably become a fan.

@FadedSun: The Coming Ones (The original Chinese version) is the best Dingding album for me and with good reason.

Procrastinating on next entry on my list, will post soon.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.07 at 04:51 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.07, 04:06 PM   #14
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

13. Earth- Primitive and Deadly

Dylan Carson's latest addition to the Earth catalog is a brilliantly executed and focused fusion of the two main Earth sounds- both the doom drone and the later blues/country inspired slow rock that has been the main focus of their last few albums. And it works a charm.

The second its opening track "Torn By The Fox Of The Crescent Moon" (such an Earth song title :-p) kicks in, we're treated to a beautifully warm produced "country-drone" track with possibly the most focused guitar playing on any album this year. Everything is immaculate- it's precisely the way Carson wants it to sound, and because of this it leaves the listener feeling instantly rewarded and gratified.

While most Earth albums are mainly instrumental, this album marks guest vocals on a few tracks. I was worried about this because one of them was Mark Lanegan- who I loathe. His Tom-Waits wannabe delivery and stage persona sicken me to no end. However, luckily, the music here is so good that it even makes Lanegan sound good. Quite the feat on Eath's part I must say.

However, Lanegan has nothing on Rabia Shaheen Qazi who sings on "From the Zodiacal Light", where she sounds totally amazing. Her range is amazing and often manages to break the male/female line which is quite a stunning thing to hear.

Any Earth fan should really check this one out. Once again it's all about control- but any Earth fan already knows that :-p. It's also probably a good introductory point to Earth for people that haven't heard them before- it's not as intense a starting place as say, Earth2- and because it balances the two main styles of Earth perfectly, you can get a sense of what the band is really about.

Perhaps not for everyone, but certain a highly recommended album if you're into this kind of stuff.

Primitve and Deadly
Old 2014.12.07, 04:14 PM   #15
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Never pegged you for being an Earth fan, DG. That's not surprising now that I remember you're a huge Boris fan (not a huge connection, but they've dabbled in doom a lot). Actually, I've yet to listen to their newest album, so I need to get on that.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.08, 04:42 PM   #16
deadgrandma

12. Charisma.com- DIStopping

MC Itsuka and DJ Gonchi really surpassed all expectations with their full length debut. Their mini album, Aye Aye Syndrome was fast, punchy and produced like a independent hip hop album. It had wit and charm but still lacked in some areas. It was a fun and memorable ride, but it missed the mark of reaching real greatness.

With DIStopping, they truly push their sound to the next level- and aren't afraid to introduce power pop- in the best way possible. The music literally bounces from the speakers to you. It's hard to not get caught up in the maelstrom of hard hitting tracks, furious tempo, amazing production and tight rapping by Itsuka.

It has one of the most memorable lead in singles this year (as well as it having my favourite MV) Iinazuke Blue which really sets the tone for the album. From there, its power tune after power tune and has some of the crunchiest, headphone punching beats I've heard in years throughout. Rarely does it trip up and it's quite easy to listen to from start to finish any day of the week.

Other highlights are Train HELL, Mr.BEER and my absolute favorite Charisma.com song Super Girl, which is as good as it gets in this style of music. I listen to this practically everyday, it's a good wake up song.

Overall, it's a pretty essential listen if you're into this style music or -as I've noticed a trend reading comments about Charisma.com- looking to fill the void that HALCALI's recent releases have left. If you liked the first mini, I'm sure you'll love this. If you didn't like Aye Aye Syndrome, it will probably be appealing anyway.

Charisma.com
Old 2014.12.08, 05:46 PM   #17
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

This is the only album this year that I loved immediately. Every other album that I really like now had to grow on me. And I agree that Super Girl is the most awesome track. It's immediately preceded by the weakest song, LOOKER, that I don't bother listening to anymore. I just skip it because I want my Super Girl, dammit.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.09, 03:16 PM   #18
deadgrandma

11. Handsome Kenya- Amnesia

Handsome Kenya is one of the artists I newly discovered for myself in 2014, and I'm glad I did. His album Amnesia is one of the most heavily played records in this household, particularly in the car, mainly because my better half is in love with it. It's also just an easy album to stick on and has no tracks you wanna skip in particular.

I can't really say I know much about Handsome Kenya apart from he has quite a few indie mini albums before this, and this is his first full length album on a major label (Victor). It also is accompanied with a second disc featuring re-recordings of some of his earlier works but with a major studio budget.

Why does it appeal? Well, I'll be honest. The Japanese rock scene has been truly changed by Tokyo Jihen. For better or worse, since their absence, there has been a rise of bands or artists that have been inspired by their sound. Some fail horribly, some often catch the better moments wonderfully (Gesu no Kiwame Otome or Wakusei Abnormal are two good examples). Handsome Kenya is another good example- he does have that tinge of Phase 1 throughout his wonderful pop rock. It's undeniable.

That is not to say he's a direct copycat. I wouldn't listen to him if he was. But the spark is there. What we have on Amnesia is a wonderful, well flowing, awesomely produced set of powerful pop rock tracks that are infectiously addictive. His voice is quite nasally (which I admittedly love in vocalists) and strong, which fits his style very well. It might be a bit off-putting to some listeners who prefer the more traditional "good" vocals- but given a chance they certainly will grow on you.

The music (particularly the guitar) is really tight. Arrangements themselves never slip up. Production is warm and has a nice sheen, and is wonderful to listen to in both headphones or through speakers. It's never boring and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes rock music.

Also: How cool is this PV:
Handsome Kenya

Next: Onto the TOP 10!
Old 2014.12.09, 04:03 PM   #19
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

lol, DG I think you're overestimating Jihen's presence in Japanese rock scene right there.

But I'll give this guy a spin.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.09, 07:59 PM   #20
deadgrandma

10. Mariko Goto- Kowareta Hako ni Rinakksu

Three years, three albums, three times making it to my top 20 list. Mariko Goto is a figure I've always admired, although I admit I had started to lose faith in her, with her mediocre solo performances, record label changes and somewhat uninspiring lead in single (on first impressions) to this album. HOWEVER- this album is a complete turnaround for me. Everything I love about her is present here- and it far surpassed my expectations on every plain.

I think changing labels may have been the godsend she needed. She seems to have far more creative control here and there doesn't seem to be much, if any, label interference. It's loud, fast, cute and the most exciting she has been in for years. While still firmly grounded in cutesy jpop, the craziness of Midori pushes through the cracks constantly- in many ways the fact that this element is more subtle makes it even more potent than before. The element of surprise is ever present and keeps the listen hooked through it's perfectly short running time of just under half an hour.

There is no time for filler here. It's just track after blazing track and there really is not much to gripe about. Even the single that standalone inspired barely any excitement now sounds like an absolute essential in the Goto catalog. The fourth track, Suki, Koroshi Tai, Aishiteru is my personal favorite, with its anthem chorus and 100% Mariko Goto trademark vocal delivery. It brings up the fire and passion that caught me hook, line and sinker with Goto to begin with- and is a true testament to her triumphant comeback.

An essential album in 2014, and definitely deserving of it's spot in my top 10.

Mariko Goto