Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.03.27, 05:16 AM   #1
Loire
Founder

Loire pleased at least somebody
Default [SR] 2002.05.27 - Utaite Myouri ~Sono Ichi~ (CD) [Album]

森パクトディスク (Mori-pact Disc):
01. 君を愛す (Kimi o Aisu)
02. Jazz a go go
03. 枯葉 (Kareha)
04. I won't last a day without you
05. 黒いオルフェ (Kuroi Orufe)
06. Mr. Wonderful
07. 玉葱のハッピーソング (Tamanegi no Happy Song)
08. Starting Over
09. 子守唄 (Komoriuta)
Total Playtime: 34:56

亀パクトディスク (Kame-pact Disc):
01. 灰色の瞳 (Haiiro no Hitomi)
02. More
03. 小さな木の実 (Chiisa na Konomi)
04. I wanna be loved by you
05. 白い小鳩 (Shiroi Kobato)
06. Love Is Blind
07. 木綿のハンカチーフ (Momen no Handkerchief)
08. Yer Blues
09. 野薔薇 (Nobara)
Total Playtime: 32:54

Retail Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia
Loire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.04, 01:59 AM   #4
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Loire, you know there are quite a few errors in your descriptions for the background of each song. I corrected them for the thread but you should consider making those changes on the website as well (you can find the information on my site).

Translations of some of the blurbs about each song that were once found on Ringo's old site (gone now):

Nobara [Heidenroslein] (found here)
Goethe is known as the novelist who wrote “The Sorrows of Young Werther [Die Leiden des jungen Werther],” but he was also a poet, playwright, and overall German artist. In 1770, while a 21-year-old law student at Strasbourg University, he was visiting Sesenheim, a village in the eastern part of France when he met an 18-year-old girl, Friederike Brion, and fell in love with her, putting those feelings into the poem he wrote, “Nobara [Heidenroslein].” In regards to these poems, many composers have added music and made them into well-known songs, most notably Schubert (just beginning to adapt from Werner), Schumann, and Brahms, who all set “Nobara” and other Goethe poems to music, resulting in a total of over 150 songs. Furthermore, here in Japan the famous piece “Maou [Erlkoenig]” and the rest that we know as the Viennese king’s songs came from Schubert’s version of “Nobara” (Schubert’s work he wrote at 18 on August 19, 1815).
Kimi o Aisu [Ich Liebe Dich]
Andersen, known as Denmark’s writer of children’s books, also wrote poems. In setting these to music, the Norwegian composer Grieg’s most famous song was created. In the summer of 1830, Andersen visited a friend of his and met the friend’s older sister, Riborg Voight. He began to harbor feelings of love towards her which he channeled into his poetry, though the feelings continued one-sided. The composer Grieg, in 1864, at the age of 21, was setting Andersen’s poems to music at about the time of his engagement to his sweetheart, the singer Nina. These circumstances were the driving force leading him to create “Kimi o Aisu.”
My favorite part of Utaite Myouri is that it's pretty much her biography. Sooo much is revealed about her early years and her parents' taste in music through this album.

Her mother's influence: Classic Japanese pop songs like "Momen no Handkerchief," "Shiroi Kobato"
Her father's influence: Jazz songs like "Jazz a go go," "The Onion Song" (and later with Tokyo Jihen "The Lady is a Tramp")
Influence from her classical ballet training: Classical music like Chopin's Op.34 No.2
Influence from songs she had to learn in school: Heidenroslein
etc...

It's all in that unauthorized biography thing of hers. Just fascinating! Everything lines up!!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.04, 02:29 AM   #5
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I was suprised to see the classic "Autumn leaves" on this album. It's one of my favourite songs ever and the first song I played when starting to play Jazz improvisations. So it's kind of special to me and I love to hear her sing the french, as well as the english version.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.04, 05:24 AM   #6
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Although the mori-pact disc doesn't excite me quite as much as the kame-pact disc, I still see this is a really solid compilation. There's way too many tracks here for me to do a breakdown of the release and why I like it, but I will say that my favorites are the classic J-Pop songs and "I Wanna Be Loved By You".
Old 2007.04.04, 05:07 PM   #7
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I adore Momen no Handkerchief.
Of course, I'm keen on Yer Blues and Starting Over.
Also like Mr. Wonderful and Autumn Leaves.

I'd have liked to have heard a more laid back cover of "UFO"
It was a staple of her then most recent tour, cept it was too "punky" for the song, i thought.
Old 2007.04.05, 02:32 PM   #8
Loire
Founder

Loire pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Loire, you know there are quite a few errors in your descriptions for the background of each song. I corrected them for the thread but you should consider making those changes on the website as well (you can find the information on my site).
Actually those descriptions were written by Sakura for the website..I jut copied and pasted them :p Thanks for correcting anyway!
Old 2007.04.15, 10:47 AM   #9
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I know they're Sakura's I said "your" as in "the site's."
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.31, 08:25 AM   #10
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Since this is Utaite Myouri ~Vol. I~, I hope we can expect a Vol. II soon
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote