Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2007.08.25, 05:49 PM   #101
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Once again, its not about technical stuff =P
Are you really good at math? Thats not some sort of back-handed question at all, it just really 'surprises' me how you focus so much on "the black and white" of things that are by nature not supposed to be looked at that way. Notto pick on ya or anything, but it really confuddles me. I'm really good at math. For the record.

You realize that by your "definition" literally everything can be considered punk. (Which brings up on austere kinda pholisophical question; but its a digression.) =P

Old 2007.08.25, 06:34 PM   #102
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Once again, its not about technical stuff =P
Are you really good at math? Thats not some sort of back-handed question at all, it just really 'surprises' me how you focus so much on "the black and white" of things that are by nature not supposed to be looked at that way. Notto pick on ya or anything, but it really confuddles me. I'm really good at math. For the record.

You realize that by your "definition" literally everything can be considered punk. (Which brings up on austere kinda pholisophical question; but its a digression.) =P

No, I'm not really good at math, . As a matter of fact, I abhor math. MCR just seemed pretty punky to me, I don't know what else to call them. I just have them under ROCK in my library but I know others would probably not put them as just rock.

We all know "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing."
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.25, 07:06 PM   #103
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

RE-RAIL

Took me years to "get to." But I was surprised at what I had been missing. Its a really impressive rock-pop record. Some of the songs in the late-middle get kinda blah, but then one of my friend likes those songs best. "Jesus I/Mary Star of the Sea" is a song I can't get enough of (even at 14 minutes.)
It's no Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie, but its a good album by a band that had a really nice, clean sound.
Old 2007.08.27, 10:42 AM   #104
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
But as for punk music, is My Chemical Romance considered punk? I like them, not too much but there are some songs I really like.
MCR is considered pop-punk by some (emo by others), but for the most part they fit into alternative rock or pop-rock. They aren't really my cup of tea, but I like playing Dead! in GHII.

The reason I asked why you recommended those things is because I'm not sure exactly what things you know that I like that you are using to base your opinion on. You said psychobilly is probably too punk for me, is that like "Psychobilly Freak-out"? Because I like that song. I know i've seen some people say that uki is good for country music, but I don't really see the connection and since I don't like country music at all I was unsure why you mentioned it. Do you mean that the guitar alone in country music is like uki? Because if so, I still wont listen to it because I don't like the rest of the sounds.
I suppose you could put Psychobilly Freakout in that genre, but it really is a weak song and representation of the genre. The Meteors are a better choice for a psychobilly sample.

Ukigumo generally has a very high amount treble and twang in his tone that is common in country music. His style doesn't fit country music, but his tone does when he uses his Telecaster-based guitars. Hirama also displayed the country twang in the Dynamite version of Himitsu.
Old 2007.08.28, 02:17 PM   #105
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
MCR is considered pop-punk by some (emo by others), but for the most part they fit into alternative rock or pop-rock. They aren't really my cup of tea, but I like playing Dead! in GHII.

Ukigumo generally has a very high amount treble and twang in his tone that is common in country music. His style doesn't fit country music, but his tone does when he uses his Telecaster-based guitars. Hirama also displayed the country twang in the Dynamite version of Himitsu.
Yeah, playing Dead! is sooo fun.

I see why you suggested country music now, but it is definitely not something I like. I did hear some David Bowie and more Queen and I enjoyed it so thanks for the recommendation.
Old 2007.08.30, 07:59 PM   #106
HEDOfloe

Here are a couple of albums I would like to recommend:

First up is Lucille by B.B. KING.

This is a very good blues album. "B. B. King or "The King of Blues", is an American blues guitarist and singer-songwriter, widely considered one of the best and most respected blues musicians of all time. He was also ranked 3rd on the Rolling Stone's list of 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.[1]" - wikipedia

Moving on:

The Seventh Night ~UNPLUGGED~ by Gackt

This is a collection of some of Gackt's old songs but, as the title implies, they are unplugged. All acoustic. Includes very nice guitar work (i love the acoustic guitar), violins, Gackt's piano playing, and his emotional voice.

Here are a couple of videos of songs from this album.

Kimi ga Matteiru Kara

Last Song

And last, but not least:

More Adventurous by Rilo Kiley.

They are and indie group with a poppy sound to them. They make very interesting sounds, and this is their best album in my opinion.

Check out one of their videos:

It's a Hit

Enjoy!

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.08.30 at 08:08 PM.
Old 2009.03.02, 05:47 AM   #107
Controversy

Controversy has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Can anyone recommend to me any of those "average" bands that make music like OSCA? I know will not be the same without Ringo but I'd like to hear some.
Midori!

"If Tokyo Jihen were a young, angry, undisciplined and totally crazy punk-jazz band, they would be Midori."

"Much like another experimental, gorilla art band Kiiiiiii, Midori confronts their audience and brings them into the performance rather than being a still life on display for the audience's adoration. Many of their videos are just as confrontational, showing a young school girl shooting up an empty classroom before jumping off the building, or (rather humorously) beating up each member of the band before running away. It's obvious that, unlike other, more fashionable and marketable pop bands, Goto's school girl uniform is meant to be ironic. Like the big bad wolf in Little Red Riding Hood, Goto is simply trying to fool you into coming closer and letting your guard down before she eats you all up."

(Taken from ZB's A-Z of Music)
Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.02, 06:03 AM   #108
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Muhahahaaha, Jesus, someone is late to the party.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.04, 01:35 PM   #109
Feel_My_Mind

Feel_My_Mind pleased at least somebody

HEDOfloe: rilo kiley, nice choice!!

this is my current fav artiste

Lykke Li - I'm Good, I'm Gone
Old 2009.03.04, 02:18 PM   #110
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Amano Tsukiko - Tenryuu

her third solo album, this was a real departure in style and sound for her. Her debut album was followed up that same year with a second album of similar stylized music. In a sense this can be considered her true progression to a second album, style-wise, and whereas Tsukko (as her fans call her) has explored mostly Western influenced musical compositions, here we find her version of KSK. Similar to Ringo, the entire tracklist is symmetrical in that the title of each song is only one Japanese character and repeats in a circle, it ends where it starts. The artwork and imagery of this period was thus related to this artistic component. One of Tsukko's strongest qualities, which often gets lost in the shuffle of those who listen to japanese music, is in her lyrics. Much like Ringo, her lyrics are amazingly strong, full of startling imagery, and a real strength that empowers both the singer and listener. The lyrics to the first track, Tsurugi, get me every time. Full of classical and more "Oriental" sounds, she melds her earlier work with this new style and we find a plethora of great tracks. This cd holds her most successful commerically successful single (Chou) as well, in my opinion, some of her strongest non-single single tracks such as Tsurugi, Ryuu, and Karatachi. Check it out ~

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.03.06 at 11:21 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote