Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.02.21, 01:25 PM   #71
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I'm pretty sure the "rock and it don't stop" bit is sampled from another song. I've heard it in commercials, I think.
I don't think it's a sample. That's a very generic hip-hop/rap line. Even m-flo uses it all the time. I'm listening to Emyli singing that line on my mind, but I can't point out which song it is lol.
And it's "rock on and you don't stop", btw.

EDIT: Also, it's clearly one of the male vocalists voice singing that part.

EDIT2: Ringo is awesome in this song. This sort of vocal totally matches the mood. I really wouldn't mind her doing something like this, just for fun. At least it doesn't sound like any of her songs and kinda gives a new life to her voice. I don't feel it's Variety type garbage. But that's just me.

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.02.21 at 01:28 PM.
Old 2009.02.22, 08:09 AM   #72
Nathan0301

Nathan0301 is headed in the right direction

I just love the ringo part /~\
Old 2009.02.22, 06:53 PM   #73
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

How is this aight and Variety terrible? This song is the same thing the whole way through. Ringo's part is neat since it's new for her, but it isn't great. Variety had at least as much thought and creativity put into it. DO NOT UNDERSTAND MUSICAL LOGIC.
Old 2009.02.22, 07:01 PM   #74
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Hey Fluffie, lighten up, most of them thought the song was average and ho-hum, they were just happy they didn't have to stick needles in their ears while they were listening.

It sucks, in my opinion. Shiina can't save a mediocre song dominated by crappy rapping and faux singing.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
Old 2009.02.22, 07:27 PM   #75
fluffiethesock

Reading over my post, I did sound a bit peeved. But I'm really just confused as to why people would smile at this thing and complain about Variety for two years (not pointing at you because it was recent, Shinji... everyone does it :B )

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2009.02.22 at 07:31 PM.
Old 2009.02.22, 07:40 PM   #76
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

My problem with Variety is that it has no direction - it's like a bunch of random songs that were just written because. I find music to be better when there's a real reason behind it - and it seems like there's no true passion in Variety, y'know?

My reaction is due to the fact that the song isn't a complete piece of shit.
Old 2009.02.22, 08:08 PM   #77
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

im sure if this was a ringo release it would be hailed as a piece of crap, but considering that its just ringo lending some vocals to a rap artists song, an artist who has ridiculous videos on youtube and a spotty track record, it really couldn't be any worse, everyone was expecting the worse. and it is bad, the actual song is repetitive and kind of stupid, but ringo's voice sounds sexy and in contrast to the rest of the song actually sounds GOOD. so people like it and praise it, being disassociated with her own work. it makes sense to me
Old 2009.02.22, 08:13 PM   #78
fluffiethesock

The thing is, lots of bands / musicians write albums that sound like they have a direction or a theme, if only because they never deviate from their established style. Look at pretty much any current American band. Other than the fact that they're performing music that they're familiar with, there's not much redeeming value.

By the way, can someone explain what it means for an album to head in a certain direction? Is it just something that you feel? Maybe I'm not understanding this concept. :|

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
they were just happy they didn't have to stick needles in their ears while they were listening.
Originally Posted by bromithia View Post
My reaction is due to the fact that the song isn't a complete piece of shit.
Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
considering that its just ringo lending some vocals to a rap artists song, an artist who has ridiculous videos on youtube and a spotty track record, it really couldn't be any worse, everyone was expecting the worse.
Mmm, makes sense...

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2009.02.22 at 08:22 PM.
Old 2009.02.22, 08:37 PM   #79
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Example, KZK, Citrus, Funeral.

Good albums have an internal symmetry, the songs sound better within the context of the album, there's an ebb and flow to the sound of the album as a whole.

Not all good albums have to achieve this, but it's a telling sign of an albums quality.

Pick up your standard top 40 album, there's no consistency, no internal symmetry. 3 singles surrounded by filler.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
Old 2009.02.22, 08:54 PM   #80
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

good examples of american pop music would obviously be artists who tend to fall off the radar. take any album by Tori Amos (she has 8 studio albums) and each album is a completely new direction and theme with a sound. I disagree with the general statement made about Variety, however. All the music on Variety sounds like it should be there. If you look at that era, the artwork, the interviews, the promotional goods. Do you remember that they mad a Variety manga sold at the live shows? The entire era just seems kind of sleazy and cartoonish, much like a Variety tv-show, down to the album artwork in every way. The music is colorful, circus-like, eccelectic and eccentric, full of variety, etc. So I disagree in saying there is no theme or driving edge. However, it isn't as strong as the strings that tie together some of the earlier work such as Adult or especially KZK.
Closed Thread