Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.08.29, 02:19 AM   #21
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

The names are shown at the end of the clip.

Hata's one should be Yorokobi no Uta (慶びの歌).
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.29, 05:34 AM   #22
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Laser beams and all, this was the visual highlight. maybe look into getting the Blu-ray LOL \0/

She let the outfit down with the bottom half though :/

Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.29, 08:33 AM   #23
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Jameslicious View Post
Yeah, two posts in and I'm probably already making myself unpopular. Damn.
Nah. It's generally a good thing when people post about their opinions on music. The only unpopular posters are the ones that post more about the way the band/Ringo looks than the music and the posters who don't actually say why they like/dislike something.

Originally Posted by zyoeru View Post
Am I allowed to say Ringo's boobs were glorious for that encore?
Of course. It was the only thing I took notice in during Sweet Spot. It's like Ringo decided we all needed to be reminded that she even had boobs. Glad I went with the Blu-ray. >_>
Old 2010.08.29, 09:06 AM   #24
zyoeru

zyoeru pleased at least somebody

Damn, I think I might have to get the blu-ray of this concert so many great moments.
Here's a few of my notes...

-Denpa Tsuushin's light show was amazing, even if it nearly gave me a seizure.
-ULTRA C's megaphone section was probably the best from any concert for me.
-Boobs in the encore
-Ikiru is one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen, along with Kimaru (I love how they chose to end this one).
-The bonus reel is pretty neat.
-Ariamaru Tomi was a bore, I didn't even notice it. I love the song but when it came on I had no idea.
-Ukigumo looked hella good in this concert.
-Ringo looked fantastic and I have an urge to see every pore in her skin.
-Noriki could have been more interesting, but the keytar was pretty cool.
-Superstar was actually quite good.
-I liked how they performed Sounan and Shuraba.
-I didn't like how the only two SR songs were Marunouchi and Ariamaru (boobs made up for Sadistic though).
zyoeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.29, 09:31 AM   #25
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I don't know if I liked Ikiru or not. On one hand, I didn't like it on the album. On the other hand, I love it when Ringo goes maximum banshee. On a third hand, I was clenching my ass the whole way through -- she was maximum banshee plus one in this.If she loses her voice it'll be for one reason...

Electronic Zettai Zetsumei ending is the biggest tease ever.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.29, 10:58 AM   #26
Maou

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I don't know if I liked Ikiru or not. On one hand, I didn't like it on the album. On the other hand, I love it when Ringo goes maximum banshee.

Ringo sang the hell out of Ikiru, but I still didn't like it. There's a fundamental flaw in the song that I can't get over: the music doesn't match the vocals. It's like Ringo is singing a completely different song than the rest of the band is playing. The song was amazing when it was just Ringo singing over Izawa's piano, but then the rest of the band comes in to displace Ringo.

In my full review I'm going to be harsh on Ukigumo again. I can't stand his outright refusal to perform songs as the originally intended (Sounan, Ariamaru Tomi, etc). I find it highly disrespectful to the original performers. It would be one thing if Uki just put his own spin on things while remaining true to the original, but he goes too far.
Old 2010.08.29, 04:48 PM   #27
Jameslicious

Jameslicious pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Maou View Post

In my full review I'm going to be harsh on Ukigumo again. I can't stand his outright refusal to perform songs as the originally intended (Sounan, Ariamaru Tomi, etc). I find it highly disrespectful to the original performers. It would be one thing if Uki just put his own spin on things while remaining true to the original, but he goes too far.
Ehhhh.

Well, first up, we don't really know that it's Ukigumo who's arranging it (do we? Serious question.) If anything, I'm pretty sure it's Izawa who's changing stuff up. Plus, I'm pretty sure if he came in with something that the others didn't like, they'd say "No, play it like this," and that'd be the end of it. It's not like he's deliberately standing there playing something that doesn't fit with the others.

Secondly, while different, I love everything Uki's added/does to songs that weren't his originally. Listen to his guitar line in Superstar. Hirama was just boring "chugga chugga" but Uki gives it texture and motion, busting out of the safe little box Hirama had put it in. And his (Hirama's) solo was just...flavourless. Uki knows how to break it when he needs to. Remaining 'respectful' to chugga chugga and flat and flavourless? I'll say no.

(Yeah, I treat Superstar as the blueprint for what Uki adds to the band. Well, when it comes to playing Phase 1 stuff, anyway. Himitsu is the example I use for Izawa.)

As for Sounan...yeah, it's different. But they're not the same band anymore. After resting it for years, I think it's okay for them to change a song up a little. Add in the guitar solo outro bit and I'd probably like it more than the original. In fact, I'm sure that's what'll happen if they keep it in their live rotation.

I don't know. It was discordant, it was creepy, it had an extra something to the "plain rock" that the original did. It felt like it fit within the framework of Phase 2, rather than Phase 2 musicians playing Phase 1 songs. Maybe that's your problem with it, but for me, it's the opposite of a problem.

I mean, it just wouldn't have fit with the flow of the rest of the songs had they stuck with the original. It'd be like, "Oh, are we listening to Education now? Oh okay," rather than, "Oh hey, listen to how they've morphed this. It's actually kinda cool."

If you're going to complain about anything, complain about MaruSadi. They keep messing with it. Though, I must say, the version on Just Can't Help It was probably the best I've heard.
Jameslicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.29, 05:13 PM   #28
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Wow I really liked Izawa's singing in that bonus footage. The song sounded a lot like something Ringo would write for Tomosaka Rie.

As for the rest of the DVD, I thought the performances individually were stellar (Ikiru was ball busting I loved it; Ringo was really in the groove the whole show from start to end, wasn't she?), but there was something about the way they transited from song to song that was slightly odd. I am probably nitpicking.

I will also agree that their treatment of AT and MS were pretty flat, but I quite liked their rendition of Sounan. It's definitely different, and I definitely prefer the original, but I also liked the slightly 70s action flick vibe that this rendition had. Not something I would want to listen to every day, but definitely cute for the purposes of this show.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.29, 05:39 PM   #29
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

My problem with this SOUNAN is that it feels rushed (Izawa's playing doesn't let the song chill, either), and not very distinct. In the original, the melody is emphasized much more by the drums and everything around it, and it's well paced; in this latest arrangement, it seems to me that it's all one thing, the parts don't stand out as much. I don't mind the sounds they chose as much as the new rhythms. It's like that blackberry (?) commercial that had some lame band cover The Beatles' ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE. It was going to be lame because they just weren't that good, but they also changed the rhythm and timing and that's what really killed it.

I really liked that UKI used an acoustic guitar in this show. I'm longing for the day they'll release acoustic versions of their songs a-la that gips performance where they played the percussion on boxes and I UKI had a mandolin.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.08.29, 06:03 PM   #30
Maou

Originally Posted by Jameslicious View Post
Ehhhh.

Well, first up, we don't really know that it's Ukigumo who's arranging it (do we? Serious question.) If anything, I'm pretty sure it's Izawa who's changing stuff up. Plus, I'm pretty sure if he came in with something that the others didn't like, they'd say "No, play it like this," and that'd be the end of it. It's not like he's deliberately standing there playing something that doesn't fit with the others.
Who arranges what is irrelevant. Ukigumo could have chosen to play Ariamaru Tomi exactly as it was on the single as the arrangement is much different. He chose to do it his way instead. His way sucks.

Secondly, while different, I love everything Uki's added/does to songs that weren't his originally. Listen to his guitar line in Superstar. Hirama was just boring "chugga chugga" but Uki gives it texture and motion, busting out of the safe little box Hirama had put it in. And his (Hirama's) solo was just...flavourless. Uki knows how to break it when he needs to. Remaining 'respectful' to chugga chugga and flat and flavourless? I'll say no.
"Flat and flavourless" is a cringe-worthy statement. It's not like either version is all that different. Besides, if anything, the entirety of Adult is "flat and flavourless" with its extremely sterile production. Superstar is actually one of the few songs Ukigumo does remain true to the original. The main guitar line was in the original song. It was played by Hirama during the outro.

I do like both versions of Superstar (and Himitsu), but I prefer the Dynamite versions. Hirama played a broken progression for the first two chorus sections of the song to build anticipation for the full progression during the finale. It worked as the Dynamite version picks up quite a bit after the guitar solo. Hirama's non-muted plucking was better and he didn't make any dieing goat noises like Ukigumo did.

Ukigumo doesn't even have a solo in the Phase 2 version. Playing the main riff up an octave and finishing with a little wankery doesn't make a solo.

As for Sounan...yeah, it's different. But they're not the same band anymore. After resting it for years, I think it's okay for them to change a song up a little. Add in the guitar solo outro bit and I'd probably like it more than the original. In fact, I'm sure that's what'll happen if they keep it in their live rotation.
I think I would have been fine with it if it had kept the original intro and outro. It didn't and it had nothing to make up for it. I just don't understand the point of the song. The lyrics are the only thing that remained from the original. If you're going to change that much of the song, you might as well just make a new song.

When Phase 1 remade Shiina songs like Tsumiki Asobi or La Salle de Bain, they were awesome. Why? Because they kept elements from the original version of the song while giving it their own flavor. They were very different songs in the end, but still recognizable after breaking them down.

I mean, it just wouldn't have fit with the flow of the rest of the songs had they stuck with the original. It'd be like, "Oh, are we listening to Education now? Oh okay," rather than, "Oh hey, listen to how they've morphed this. It's actually kinda cool."
I know you want to defend Sounan because you enjoyed it way more than some others here, but that doesn't even begin to make sense. It almost sounds like you're saying bands should remake all their older songs to fit their new style. You don't fuck with classics just because you can.

If you're going to complain about anything, complain about MaruSadi. They keep messing with it. Though, I must say, the version on Just Can't Help It was probably the best I've heard.
Oh, believe me, I will rip MaruSadi to shreds. Best version is Elecric Mole, BTW.

Last edited by Maou : 2010.08.29 at 06:18 PM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote