Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.10.01, 05:19 PM   #91
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

She was going to make a full album of new tracks, then she heard Seiko Oomori and thought "fuck it, I have nothing on this"...

True story, she told me. On Skype.
Old 2014.10.01, 05:28 PM   #92
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

^ Who's that?

Also, I really like what I hear of this new track on iTunes. I can't wait to hear the whole thing. I really get the ADULT comparisons, and I'm happy with how this album is shaping up.
Old 2014.10.01, 05:49 PM   #93
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
She was going to make a full album of new tracks, then she heard Seiko Oomori and thought "fuck it, I have nothing on this"...

True story, she told me. On Skype.
LOL. Right. We'll see if Seiko ever makes an album with as much staying power as MM, SS or KZK.

Did those Shiina covers she did ever surface? Really want to hear those.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.01, 06:36 PM   #94
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
LOL. Right. We'll see if Seiko ever makes an album with as much staying power as MM, SS or KZK.

Did those Shiina covers she did ever surface? Really want to hear those.
She already has. Mahou Ga is better debut than MM easily (in my gospel opinion) :-p But she (Ringo on Skype) was really just referring to current Ringo vs. current Oomori... current Ringo, while nice, has nothing on current Oomori. *The sad thing is while I was writing this in jest, I know deep down that it's true :-/* Still, after giving so much great stuff, merely being nice at this stage is good enough for me. I made my peace when I heard Carnation I suppose.

They have released the covers set in (atrocious quality) bootleg form, but my understanding is that the cover show was definitely being filmed according to another fan I talk to (who I get most info about her from) who was there. A night of such significance would probably been documented. I wouldn't be surprised if a whole covers project was in the works.

Anyway, regarding this new track: This has to be the fastest I've become disinterested with a Ringo single, period (even more so than that farewell song by Jihen). It's so run-of-the-mill I just can't really care. It was too easy to get into. Maybe in the context of the album it will 'show itself' to us better. I'll still stand by what I said about the guitar work being tops though. Do we know who is playing on this album's new tracks yet?

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.10.01 at 07:05 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.01, 08:21 PM   #95
hedgehog

hedgehog has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Not my favorite song of hers as far as writing goes but the arrangement of the song and overall style is a huge step in the right direction. I'm cautiously excited for the album
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcU...4hOt5spwJ6XyUg
The colorful band with only one member...
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.01, 09:36 PM   #96
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Ppromotion of the new album is gonna pick up near the end of this month. Looks like she's going to be on the cover of at least 3 magazines around then: SWITCH, Soen, and ROCKIN'ON JAPAN.

SWITCH will have a 50 page feature on her, and supposedly there will be a mini poster attached to the magazine.

If any of you are in the Tokyo area this month and are a member of Ringohan, they're taking applications right now to be in the audience for the taping of a Shiina performance that will air in November on the music program LIVE MONSTER. No restrictions on age or gender either.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.01, 09:39 PM   #97
deadgrandma

Is LIVE MONSTER another one of those lame shows with backing tracks?
Old 2014.10.01, 10:09 PM   #98
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

The song isn't bad. I really agree that this is a step in the right direction and it reminds me of the Ringo I first fell in love with. Naturally, this was the Ringo of the Adult era of Jihen. I love this type of instrumentation and can only hope we get more of that from the rest of the album. I guess the only complaint I have is that I don't like how frail her voice sounds at the beginning of the track.

Also, if there ever was a solo Jihen album, it was Sanmon Gossip. This single is obviously not indicative of the entire album. Songs like Carnation are proof of this. Imagine judging SG by Shun alone. I think this album will surprise us.

Mahou ga... better than MM? Hmm... maybe...
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.01, 10:39 PM   #99
deadgrandma

I don't think SG sounds remotely like Jihen.

This new album already actually HAS JIHEN ON IT (Carnation) :-p Jiyuu/NIPPON/Kodoku all sound like Discovery/Sports songs. The rest sound like Adult.

The new song is just another Superstar/Time Capsule kinda deal. No frills.

The rest hopefully will DO something. Else I fear Reimport is the Ringo album of choice this year.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.10.01 at 10:43 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.01, 11:00 PM   #100
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

You know what... I take back what I said about SG. I kind of feel stupid for thinking that, actually. Rather, SG was the kind of music I wish Jihen had made near the end. Releasing SG while Jihen was still active was probably what brought upon that thought process. This new song is far more like Jihen then any of SG was.

The new song definitely is reminiscent of Adult-era Ringo but it definitely isn't along the lines of Superstar (well maybe the beginning)! I sometimes like listening to that track, but its instrumentation is really, really boring. This instrumentation is more like Himitsu. Not nearly that good, I'm afraid... but it has a lot layered in. The vocals and melody reminds me of Sports-era Jihen. Which isn't terrible, I guess. Once again... not a bad song... but good enough to be the main single of Ringo's 5th SOLO ALBUM?
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote